The Student Room Group

2021 A/AS Results Day Countdown: today is the day - well done everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ineedhelpsohelp
I mean I think I have a fair shot of getting into my insurance but I love my firm uni so much and picked my insurance without really thinking properly. Would you suggest me calling up my firm uni on results day if I do get rejected? I don't think my course is oversubscribed to but there's always that uncertainty.

There's very few situations where you should ring your firm on results day.
Look at the flowchart in the OP for when those are.
If you do need to ring then you aren't ringing to change their mind but to make sure they have all the information they need and ask when they expect to make a decision.
Reply 201
Original post by PQ
A lot of universities accept applicants with lower grades. Hopefully your daughter is one of these (she can always defer if that's the case and she decides she isn't ready to go to university yet :smile:)

She hopes so🙂

She will defer if so.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cote1

Hopefully, if you don't get in to your firm choice you will have other choices.

Everyone always has choices whatever happens results day.

leaving school is the start of a new story. People learn, develop & improve. Their are an infinite number of paths to achieving great things.
Reply 203
Original post by mnot

leaving school is the start of a new story. People learn, develop & improve. Their are an infinite number of paths to achieving great things.

Very true.
Original post by PQ
There's very few situations where you should ring your firm on results day.
Look at the flowchart in the OP for when those are.
If you do need to ring then you aren't ringing to change their mind but to make sure they have all the information they need and ask when they expect to make a decision.

Just checked the flow chart. What exactly does ""conditional" next to your firm" mean? and is this different from getting rejected?
Original post by mnot

This is true. But it hurts a lot more when you're unfairly assessed and so unable to show off your full potential. I just hope unis take this into account ):
This is true. But it hurts a lot more when you're unfairly assessed and so unable to show off your full potential. I just hope unis take this into account ):

Unis will take into account what they have in front of them. Thats all they can do.
Reply 207
Im so anxious about results day. I don't think I'll be getting into my dream uni purely because of how my college went about on assessing us. Do you think unis will be more lenient this year? What should I do if I don't get in?

I know multiple people in previous years (pre-Covid) who were accepted into their firms, despite missing the grades. Assuming that universities will be more lenient this year, there is still a chance that your firm could accept you if you miss your conditions (especially if your course isn't over-subscribed). Otherwise, if you miss the grades, you could try and get a place at your firm through clearing. I would have a look at their website and read up about their clearing information just in case. Good luck!

Let me tell you from experience, they won't.
I mean I think I have a fair shot of getting into my insurance but I love my firm uni so much and picked my insurance without really thinking properly. Would you suggest me calling up my firm uni on results day if I do get rejected? I don't think my course is oversubscribed to but there's always that uncertainty.

Even if you do miss your firm choice, it's not the end of the world (no matter how it feels on the day!). You've got so many options, be that your insurance choice, clearing, a gap year to resit and reapply, or countless other things.

My sister was in a similar position to you a few years ago now, results day was really tough on her because she loved her firm and hadn't really considered properly how it would feel to miss it. She'd thought she might after a particularly bad exam, but I don't think she'd actually given up hope yet, so to see that Track update definitely wasn't easy. Our focus on the day was celebrating her results, which were still very very good, and not dwelling on unis yet.

She spent the rest of the summer researching her insurance choice, and threw herself into life there once she started (volunteering, putting top effort into every assignment, joining societies, doing a term abroad, going to the gym) - essentially if it was on offer, she did it. She graduated with a first last summer, having met amazing friends and had all sorts of experiences she wouldn't have been able to have at her firm choice, so things definitely worked out in the end! :biggrin: The fact is there's no way to know which uni would be best in reality, since in most cases you only experience the one and all have their pros and cons, so just focus on where you are and by the end you'll recognise all the good things you'd have missed by not ending up there.

Best of luck for next week :h: I hope you do get into your firm choice, but hopefully I've managed to get my point across that you can have a great time anywhere if you just make the most of it!
Reply 210
I agree - you don't know where you are going to be happiest. To a large degree, you get out of university what you put into it.
Im so anxious about results day. I don't think I'll be getting into my dream uni purely because of how my college went about on assessing us. Do you think unis will be more lenient this year? What should I do if I don't get in?

ahhh same

what's ur dream uni?
Just checked the flow chart. What exactly does ""conditional" next to your firm" mean? and is this different from getting rejected?

It means that your firm choice either hadn't made a decision or hasn't sent that decision to UCAS by results day.
That can be for a whole range of reasons which is why it's important to ring if that is what Track shows to find out if they've decided and if not when they will decide (and if they need more information from you)
I’m so scared I won’t get the A*AA grades I need to get into uni😭 can’t stop overthinking how badly my final exams went as well ahh
Original post by starrystudy
I’m so scared I won’t get the A*AA grades I need to get into uni😭 can’t stop overthinking how badly my final exams went as well ahh

Good luck!
Whatever happens you will be fine.

The key is whatever & wherever you move onto after school stay self-motivated & work hard.
UCAS have worked their little socks off and matched the exam results to applications in record time.

They’re now available to universities.

So no delays or late nights. Universities will be getting busy from tomorrow morning and hopefully as many decisions as possible will be sorted and sent to UCAS before Track is unfrozen on Tuesday
Original post by PQ
UCAS have worked their little socks off and matched the exam results to applications in record time.

So no delays or late nights. Universities will be getting busy from tomorrow morning and hopefully as many decisions as possible will be sorted and sent to UCAS before Track is unfrozen on Tuesday

AHHHH this is kinda scary to read :l Thanks for updating us
Original post by PQ

Thanks for the update! :smile:
Original post by PQ

Yes, thank you for the update! I'm going to distract myself in the meantime :emog:

Quick Reply