The Student Room Group

Further Math questions

Are the old spec past paper (FP1,FP2,FP3) equivalent to the new spec (C1,C2,FP1,FP2)
Original post by LeoHsieh20040725
Are the old spec past paper (FP1,FP2,FP3) equivalent to the new spec (C1,C2,FP1,FP2)

No - not if you are talking about Edexcel new Linear spec

The old spec had regular maths A-level:
Core maths: C1,C2,C3,C4 plus 2 from: S1,S2,M1,M2,D1

& old spec further maths:
FP1,FP2,FP3,FP4 plus 2 from remaining S1,S2,M1,M2,D1 (but not ones used towards A-level maths).
Additionally some exam boards did:
FP1,FP2,FP3 plus 3 from remaining S1,S2,M1,M2,D1
Original post by Muttley79
No - not if you are talking about Edexcel new Linear spec

Well like how much of a percentage of the old spec is to the new one would u say
Original post by mnot
The old spec had regular maths A-level:
Core maths: C1,C2,C3,C4 plus 2 from: S1,S2,M1,M2,D1

& old spec further maths:
FP1,FP2,FP3,FP4 plus 2 from remaining S1,S2,M1,M2,D1 (but not ones used towards A-level maths).
Additionally some exam boards did:
FP1,FP2,FP3 plus 3 from remaining S1,S2,M1,M2,D1

I want to know if the old spec fm past papers contents is 100% equal to the new one tho
I want to know if the old spec fm past papers contents is 100% equal to the new one tho

I imagine it won’t be, I think they’ll be significant differences. You might be able to pick out individual questions from past papers but I don’t think you can use the paper as representative.
Well like how much of a percentage of the old spec is to the new one would u say

Difficult - try thi mapping document - third one down

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.coursematerials.html#%2FfilterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials
Original post by mnot
I imagine it won’t be, I think they’ll be significant differences. You might be able to pick out individual questions from past papers but I don’t think you can use the paper as representative.

So how should I prepare myself for the fm exam with the so limited past papers available
So how should I prepare myself for the fm exam with the so limited past papers available

You use what they provide, its the same for everybody.

2 or 3 sample/past papers is enough so that you can get a feel for the structure and timing.

Ask your teachers -we were provided with loads of speimen papers and practice papers. 2019 will be released soon ... I presume you've found Dr Frost's brilliant website?
https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

Quick Reply

Latest