The Student Room Group

Changing my name

So i start university in September and i’m hoping to change my name once i’ve moved out because i don’t want my parents knowing. That means i’ll already be enrolled at university/have my ID so how would i go about changing all of that? Also i know you have to change your name on everything after a deed poll but i’ve just got a provisional licence will i have to buy another one?
Changing your name is actually very easy. I changed mine a few years ago. Don't go through a solicitor because they'll charge you a fortune! There are numerous UK based websites that'll do it for you - and very cheap. The one I used charged me a tenner. Make sure you order multiple prints as you'll need original copies later.

When you receive the deed poll, you'll need to get someone to witness all the copies. Then, you'll have to change your name everywhere: passport, GP, university, council, bank.

Regarding your provisional licence, it doesn't cost anything to change your name or gender. You just make an application with the DVLA and send them your deed poll. https://www.gov.uk/change-name-driving-licence
Original post by Anonymous
So i start university in September and i’m hoping to change my name once i’ve moved out because i don’t want my parents knowing. That means i’ll already be enrolled at university/have my ID so how would i go about changing all of that? Also i know you have to change your name on everything after a deed poll but i’ve just got a provisional licence will i have to buy another one?

Hi there

I don't know your situation and I'm not going to ask and just hope you stay safe. :biggrin:

Answering your questions you would need to inform the DVLA and get a new licence. I have attached the Form itself here: https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms
and information regarding what to do are here: https://www.gov.uk/change-name-driving-licence I hope this helps you out!

For uni, I'm sure that showing evidence that you have legally changed your name will result in all documents with your previous name being changed as well. If you change your name before September you should be able to get in contact with the uni and get the ball rolling ahead of time.

Best wishes,
Goodness
Reply 3
Original post by Oxford Brookes University
Hi there

I don't know your situation and I'm not going to ask and just hope you stay safe. :biggrin:

Answering your questions you would need to inform the DVLA and get a new licence. I have attached the Form itself here: https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms
and information regarding what to do are here: https://www.gov.uk/change-name-driving-licence I hope this helps you out!

For uni, I'm sure that showing evidence that you have legally changed your name will result in all documents with your previous name being changed as well. If you change your name before September you should be able to get in contact with the uni and get the ball rolling ahead of time.

Best wishes,
Goodness

Thank you for replying, would i be able to use my preferred name at university if i’m still in the process of getting it changed legally.
Reply 4
So i start university in September and i’m hoping to change my name once i’ve moved out because i don’t want my parents knowing. That means i’ll already be enrolled at university/have my ID so how would i go about changing all of that?

You'll need to tell the university you've changed your name, and they'll almost certainly ask you to provide evidence of that (e.g. the deed poll) before they update they records. (The same would apply if you changed your name on marriage or divorce.) Having done that, I'd expect the change in name to be automatically passed through onto the university's various systems (e.g. email, online learning, library system, etc) over the following couple of days. You'll need to pick up a new ID card too.

One thing to note, though, is that your parents are almost inevitably going to find out at some point that you've changed your name -- potentially even if you break off all contact with them. If you want/need to limit the chance of that happening, you'll need to be sure you change your address with the organisations (banks, DVLA, etc) at the same time as you change your name. Even then, a bank may write to you at your old address to confirm that you've given them a new address as a security check (though the letter to the old address won't give the new address). You might want to change your address first, and then change your name a week or so later. You'll probably want to avoid letters under your new name being sent to your parents' address.
Reply 5
Original post by martin7
You'll need to tell the university you've changed your name, and they'll almost certainly ask you to provide evidence of that (e.g. the deed poll) before they update they records. (The same would apply if you changed your name on marriage or divorce.) Having done that, I'd expect the change in name to be automatically passed through onto the university's various systems (e.g. email, online learning, library system, etc) over the following couple of days. You'll need to pick up a new ID card too.

One thing to note, though, is that your parents are almost inevitably going to find out at some point that you've changed your name -- potentially even if you break off all contact with them. If you want/need to limit the chance of that happening, you'll need to be sure you change your address with the organisations (banks, DVLA, etc) at the same time as you change your name. Even then, a bank may write to you at your old address to confirm that you've given them a new address as a security check (though the letter to the old address won't give the new address). You might want to change your address first, and then change your name a week or so later. You'll probably want to avoid letters under your new name being sent to your parents' address.

Thank you for the reply, i was worried about that. It’d be relatively easy changing my address to my uni accommodation & then getting letters in my new name afterwards. Just wondered what i’d do during the few summer months i’ll have to be back home, i don’t get much mail but just in case it’ll still be sent to my accommodation won’t it and is that even allowed over summer.
Reply 6
Thank you for the reply, i was worried about that. It’d be relatively easy changing my address to my uni accommodation & then getting letters in my new name afterwards. Just wondered what i’d do during the few summer months i’ll have to be back home, i don’t get much mail but just in case it’ll still be sent to my accommodation won’t it and is that even allowed over summer.

Won't they have to find out at some point? I'm all for doing it and I only haven't because I'm lazy but surely you will have to tell them if for no other reason than it might come up in an emergency and they would be confused.
Reply 7
Original post by Bio 7
Won't they have to find out at some point? I'm all for doing it and I only haven't because I'm lazy but surely you will have to tell them if for no other reason than it might come up in an emergency and they would be confused.

Yeah i suppose so and i’m assuming that it will happen some day. I guess i’m just hoping it’s in a few years rather than now. Idk i might just use a preferred name for now and maybe change it legally afterwards. Though i’m not sure if universities allow preferred names on ID cards.
Reply 8
Yeah i suppose so and i’m assuming that it will happen some day. I guess i’m just hoping it’s in a few years rather than now. Idk i might just use a preferred name for now and maybe change it legally afterwards. Though i’m not sure if universities allow preferred names on ID cards.

Not sure sadly. Good luck with it.
Reply 9
Have you thought about how this is going to work with Student Finance?
Original post by Sinnoh
Have you thought about how this is going to work with Student Finance?

if i change my name officially i’d have to send a copy of the deed poll to them
Reply 11

You can change the name on your driving licence free of charge.

Remember, you do not need to pay anyone anything to create a deed poll. There is no official service for this and it's something you can do free of charge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending