The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering Laptop for Uni

I am starting year 13 in September but am looking for a laptop which I will also be able to use for university.
Looking online, I have seen that 16gb of ram is preferred and a laptop with a good battery life.
One thing I am confused about is the graphics card. Do I need to get a laptop with a dedicated graphics card or will integrated graphics be good enough to run the engineering software I need for my course.
Also if you are a mechanical engineering student can you please give me some options on good laptops to buy and what laptop you are using for your course and what the specs are.
Thank you
hey man, not an engineering student but pretty good with computers.

You're right in that 16GB is best to look for and good battery life as well as you don't want to spend your time crouched by a plug. I would highly recommend going with a dedicated graphics card If your going to be doing any 3D work and a good ryzen or Intel cpu with a high core and thread count would be ideal. This all depends on how much your budget is though
Reply 2
Thanks for the response bro, i will take this into account, I am able to spend around £1000, would you be able to recommend any good laptops for me around that price mark?
Reply 3
Minimum recommended configuration: Windows 10 operating system, Intel i7 3.6 GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM, 512GB SSD drive

You can look at alternative brands or makes as long as performance is comparable.
Battery life
Compact
You could look into 2 in 1 notebook which can use as notepad.
You can get student discounts too.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Minimum recommended configuration: Windows 10 operating system, Intel i7 3.6 GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM, 512GB SSD drive
Reply 5
Original post by 161BMW

Thank you for the help bro, is it possible to get a Dell XPS and other laptops like it with a dedicated graphics card as only see ones with intel Iris Xe integrated graphics, would this be good enough to run the engineering programs needed?
Reply 6
Original post by vintrevor
Thank you for the help bro, is it possible to get a Dell XPS and other laptops like it with a dedicated graphics card as only see ones with intel Iris Xe integrated graphics, would this be good enough to run the engineering programs needed?

Yeah dedicated graphics card can be useful.

I have DELL Inspiron with spec similar to what is listed.
DELL XPS is also good.
Otherwise AMD chips might be cheaper.
DELL do student discounts.
HP do too.
Reply 7
Original post by 161BMW
Yeah dedicated graphics card can be useful.

I have DELL Inspiron with spec similar to what is listed.
DELL XPS is also good.
Otherwise AMD chips might be cheaper.
DELL do student discounts.
HP do too.

I’m finding it quite hard to find a laptop with a dedicated graphics card, 16gb ram and one which has good battery life especially at around £1000, is a dedicated graphics card an absolute must for mechanical engineering students or will integrated graphics work the same?
Reply 8
Original post by vintrevor
I’m finding it quite hard to find a laptop with a dedicated graphics card, 16gb ram and one which has good battery life especially at around £1000, is a dedicated graphics card an absolute must for mechanical engineering students or will integrated graphics work the same?

I think integrated will be ok.

I can’t remember what one mine has.

Quick Reply

Latest