The Student Room Group

I’m not sure how to do architecture.

I’m at the start of year 11 doing my gcses and I have been very interested in architecture and find that i think i might wanna follow through and do this as a degree, both because it’s a well paying job and im very fascinated in architecture but I have not picked art gcse or alevel, but picked construction and photography, and am planning to do physics for alevels. I am wondering if anyone knows how I could end up applying for architecture as I have a lot of time to work on any skills or such.
Original post by os.slr
I’m at the start of year 11 doing my gcses and I have been very interested in architecture and find that i think i might wanna follow through and do this as a degree, both because it’s a well paying job and im very fascinated in architecture but I have not picked art gcse or alevel, but picked construction and photography, and am planning to do physics for alevels. I am wondering if anyone knows how I could end up applying for architecture as I have a lot of time to work on any skills or such.

You’ll need to spend your free time drawing (and sculpting/model making if possible). Ideally observational drawing (not from photographs). The skills that architecture degrees are looking for are an eye for light, colour and design (which you can use your photography work for) and a feel for how to represent 3 dimensional spaces in 2 dimensional drawing (and vice versa - to design/plan something in sketches and then to produce it in 3d).
Join life drawing classes/sessions if that’s a possibility. If not then draw what’s around you as often as you can, from life, in as many different ways and media as you can. The way to develop your drawing skills is repetition and practice.

Quick Reply

Latest