The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Is Loughbrough now regarded as prestigous?

For the past now 5 years it appears Loughborough has done really well in uni rankings and have been consistently in top 10 - im just wondering if it is a good uni that will open lots of doors and not just well regarded for sports but also other subjects

Scroll to see replies

Original post by heythere12798
For the past now 5 years it appears Loughborough has done really well in uni rankings and have been consistently in top 10 - im just wondering if it is a good uni that will open lots of doors and not just well regarded for sports but also other subjects

:no: I dont think so.

It is rated for sports and sports-related subjects.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
in my opinion not really

It is a good university imo. And it is good in some other subjects, such as engineering.

But the rankings aren’t really a factor with regards to prestige. Id question the rankings relevance at all, I think they are a pretty arbitrary measure. I don’t think Loughborough would be considered a prestigious university by most people.
Original post by mnot
But the rankings aren’t really a factor with regards to prestige. Id question the rankings relevance at all, I think they are a pretty arbitrary measure.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/ what do you think of the rankings on here
Original post by rxrx2004
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/ what do you think of the rankings on here

exactly my point
No but in reality it really doesn't matter that much which uni you go to. It's more about the degree, the classification and other things you do to flesh out your CV and make you an attractive candidate on paper.
exactly my point

:smile:i got you
:smile:i got you

:wink: thx bro

I don’t particularly care for the CUG or Guardian.

It is nice when they rank your university well but I don’t value the methodology they use, and I seriously question the validity of the underlying data.

Tbh I largely suspect they pick out a variety of factors that sound good, find some data & index it. Then make sure Oxbridge are at the top overall (this is important as it makes the ranking seem credible), then every other university comes out in the wash. Some universities specifically make an effort to make their output data do well in the algorithms others pay little attention to them.
Prestigious for what? A lack of women? Being good at games? Being situated in a town that no non-native UK British speaker can pronounce?

Prestigious...pft.
Original post by Reality Check
Prestigious for what? A lack of women? Being good at games? Being situated in a town that no non-native UK British speaker can pronounce?

Prestigious...pft.

what about Lancaster?
:wink: thx bro

np bro

Original post by mnot
I don’t particularly care for the CUG or Guardian.

It is nice when they rank your university well but I don’t value the methodology they use, and I seriously question the validity of the underlying data.

Tbh I largely suspect they pick out a variety of factors that sound good, find some data & index it. Then make sure Oxbridge are at the top overall (this is important as it makes the ranking seem credible), then every other university comes out in the wash. Some universities specifically make an effort to make their output data do well in the algorithms others pay little attention to them.

rankings seem redundant then
what about Lancaster?

Nice castle.
Nice castle.

LMFAOAAOA.

Prestigious?
np bro

rankings seem redundant then

It depends who you are. The people who own & operate them obviously have a continued interest in them.

Lots of students want a ranking, and spend countless hours over analysing a university position.

But I agree they don’t really serve a useful purpose. It’s just a way for newspapers to bring in clicks, or the CUG to make money selling ads.
Original post by mnot
It depends who you are. The people who own & operate them obviously have a continued interest in them.

Lots of students want a ranking, and spend countless hours over analysing a university position.

But I agree they don’t really serve a useful purpose. It’s just a way for newspapers to bring in clicks, or the CUG to make money selling ads.

what about when applying to Jobs? Since oxford s higher up the league tables, is a degree from them more 'valuable' than one from say Uni of Kent or something?
LMFAOAAOA.

Prestigious?

Not one bit :smile:
then what unis apart from oxbridge lse ucl and warwick can be regarded as prestigious in uk?
Not one bit :smile:

LMFAOAOA

okay bro I need your honest opinion. Which ones of these are prestigious?

1. Bristol
3. Southampton
5.Leeds?
6. Southampton?
7. Bristol?
8. Nottingham?
9. Bath?( Not Russel group)
10. Sheffield?
11. Liverpool?
KCL?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply