The Student Room Group

What would you like to see from TSR?

Scroll to see replies

from a thread that got locked:

the default column should be "trending", instead of "latest", add downvoting and then sort the posts by descending upvotes, and add another column called "controversial" (like reddit does) where there would be the debating threads. this means the site doesnt rely on mods to remove troll posts 24/7 and it works automatically.

also the frontend of the website needs updating, and either drop the app or update it
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
A much firmer hand to be taken with COVID and vaccine-related misinformation. There's no debate to be had - letting people post misinformation and persuade others not to get vaccinated just endangers TSR users and their families.

Agreed, and we might see more on this in September (I know as much as you at the moment). My advice in the mean time is going down the route of on and off topic. It's so easy for people to draw you off into a tangent. For example, when someone takes a thread discussing covid testing and moves the discussion to be entirely about vaccines. It's derailing just because they're trying to push a certain agenda. Best thing to do is keep the topic as narrow as possible and say "hang on, this thread is about testing". That, and never get personal otherwise the conversation goes downhill faster than Usain Bolt in a tabogan.
Original post by EierVonSatan
Email verification has been re-introduced lately, if I'm not mistaken.

The mods are often too busy (re: there are not enough of them, particularly outside of business hours) for proper explanations.

As far as I understand it with email verification, the user is still able to post on site for a while before they verify, so we still get repetitive trolls through this loophole. For instance, there’s an “Am I Ugly” “Why don’t women like me” troll that’s graces TSR every night after most people have nodded off.

I gathered that would be the case with modding. In that case, I support what Final Fantasy has said about taking into account the context that the post was made in. The mods do a great job firefighting the trolls on a daily basis and that cannot be overlooked, but as has been said, there is still room for improvement.
(edited 2 years ago)
It'd be awfully mean of them to start a thread about what suggestions we have for TSR, and then be like "you made the wrong suggestions, we're closing the thread!" They wouldn't do that... would they?
Exactly. It just gives the, in this case very accurate, impression that this site is in trouble and they aren't too sure about what can be done to do anything about it...
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Agree with this. I’m not sure why the universities forum has an anonymous function and think it should be removed.

As others have pointed out: introduce email verification when signing up, because it’s tedious to keep reporting the same troll 20 odd times per night and in all honesty, I sometimes don’t even bother after the first 3.

Another point would be to make moderation more reasonable (as @final fantasy described), or to at least provide a reason as to why a post is removed other than the basic “it breaches community guidelines” - because I’ve had to make wild guesses for the reasons for all of my removed posts in the past, which isn’t helpful.

Agree, I don't want to get into specific mod decisions but I used to try my best to report and keep the place clean, but then felt pretty unappreciated after an anon mod sides with an obvious troll over me and told me my conduct was unacceptable, so I just stopped interacting with them.
Original post by Cryoraptor
Another thing that could be done is hiring volunteers for certain boards to kill trolls faster. For instance, hiring a number of volunteering users to moderate the relationship board. I don't see why money would be an issue with this since by definition they wouldn't be paid and would be doing it because they want to improve the site.
You can apply to become a Forum Helper (and/or encourage others to as well) here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=569

We're never not recruiting. A competent forum Helper can then become a Volunteer after a few months. :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
You can switch on dark modes for your Internet browser through your device settings. :smile:

How :colondollar:
Original post by 04MR17
Agreed, and we might see more on this in September (I know as much as you at the moment). My advice in the mean time is going down the route of on and off topic. It's so easy for people to draw you off into a tangent. For example, when someone takes a thread discussing covid testing and moves the discussion to be entirely about vaccines. It's derailing just because they're trying to push a certain agenda. Best thing to do is keep the topic as narrow as possible and say "hang on, this thread is about testing". That, and never get personal otherwise the conversation goes downhill faster than Usain Bolt in a tabogan.

Too little, too late. You're basically implementing it when it doesn't matter anymore. The trolls and conspiracists have already completely poisoned the covid megathread and almost any discussion about it on this website. The damage is already done. This is something that should have been implemented back in 2020.

Although I do agree with the second part. It's best to not entertain trolls. Unfortunately most of my generation these days is too emotional and can't logically see that this person is trying to get a reaction, and so they shouldn't respond.
Original post by salamjakodsmka
How :colondollar:

:google: has better descriptions than I can offer you
Original post by 04MR17
You can apply to become a Forum Helper (and/or encourage others to as well) here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=569

We're never not recruiting. A competent forum Helper can then become a Volunteer after a few months. :smile:

I meant more in the context of specifically recruiting people to police certain boards. In my view the pan-forum way of moderation doesn't seem to be effective.
Original post by HaydenFordz
Personally the relationship forum I think needs to be completely reworked, there are far to many trolls. Simple ways of sorting some of this out is having a simple ban for the ones that are talking about having incest with family and things like that. Also I understand some places need anon feature, but it isn’t needed site wide . A rework of that would be needed definitely.

These are usually trolls and these usually get banned pretty quickly :smile: remember to report any that you see! VPNs being widespread means IP bans are not as effective anymore. I will certainly pass on about the suitability of anon in different forums!

Will definitely pass this on, good point :smile:
Original post by fish finger fan
Sort out the app! :rofl: make it more user friendly, include more features and bring it more in line with the website etc. I imagine lots of users are put off by it.

I know there are people looking at what TSR can do with the app at the mo :yes: (but yes, I agree :lol:)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
:google: has better descriptions than I can offer you

its working for everything else except tsr lol
I meant more in the context of specifically recruiting people to police certain boards. In my view the pan-forum way of moderation doesn't seem to be effective.
Everyone on the Forum Helper and Volunteer Team has specific permissions for certain forums. I can close or bin threads in D&CA, but I can't in Chat. There is a dedicated team looking after Life and Style, which includes Health and Relationships. But more helpers are always welcomed. :biggrin:
Original post by 04MR17
Everyone on the Forum Helper and Volunteer Team has specific permissions for certain forums. I can close or bin threads in D&CA, but I can't in Chat. There is a dedicated team looking after Life and Style, which includes Health and Relationships. But more helpers are always welcomed. :biggrin:

There is a reason for this frantic recruitment to the VT though, isn't there MR...
Original post by Reality Check
There is a reason for this frantic recruitment to the VT though, isn't there MR...
You're right, I'm having a baby and need more time off. :cry2:
Original post by EierVonSatan
Here's a tip! You can put anon on your ignore list, makes the place much better :yes:

You can still chose to view individual posts if you need to.

Somewhat rhetorical, but with a greater % of anon posting, past a point why bother logging in at all? log in somewhere that doesn't have the same issues.

Too little, too late. You're basically implementing it when it doesn't matter anymore. The trolls and conspiracists have already completely poisoned the covid megathread and almost any discussion about it on this website. The damage is already done. This is something that should have been implemented back in 2020.

Agree, there is a definite feeling of too little too late, this feels a bit more like a post mortem than moving forward. (but i'm a cynical swine)
Reply 77
Original post by laurawatt
These are usually trolls and these usually get banned pretty quickly :smile: remember to report any that you see! VPNs being widespread means IP bans are not as effective anymore. I will certainly pass on about the suitability of anon in different forums!

Will definitely pass this on, good point :smile:

I know there are people looking at what TSR can do with the app at the mo :yes: (but yes, I agree :lol:)

I am curious about this because I have reported what seems to be the same troll a number of times but they haven't been banned.
(edited 2 years ago)
My main suggestion would be for the CT and other TSR staff to start re-engaging on the open forum like they used to. I can't remember the last time I saw a red name contributing something light-hearted, or even just showing a bit of their personality. It's now either moderation messages, or those ghastly 'let's all get involved in a fun game, children' type posts.

If the CT has changed into a more 'behind the scenes' role focussed on moderation and business decisions, and more general posting is either discouraged or just not something that they have the time or inclination to do, then that's fine - but I think it needs to be made more explicit. Otherwise, the CT seems to be part of the forum but not part of the forum at the same time.

Another good thing would be an up-to-date list of the names of the principal CT and a brief description of what their job is. Avoiding jargon here would be welcome - as has already been pointed out, what in earth does a 'Community and Engagement' officer do? Clear, plain-English descriptions of roles with names attached would help make the CT seem less 'ivory tower', which they never were before.
Reply 79
Original post by 04MR17
You're right, I'm having a baby and need more time off. :cry2:

Congratulations

Quick Reply

Latest