The Student Room Group

So, I've got 5 colleges...

After months and months of researching and eliminating, I've narrowed it down to 5 colleges and I would really appreciate your opinion on these colleges? The colleges are just in a numbered list, not in ranked preference. Though I have been drawn to Emmanuel as my first choice :colondollar:. Christ's is seriously quite high on my list but I fear that it is first on the Tompkins and I don't want to be competing with geniuses...

1. Christ's
2. Peterhouse
3. Emmanuel
4. Corpus Christi
5. Trinity Hall
You could always do an open application

How NOT to choose a College

Application statistics - some applicants think, or are wrongly advised, that choosing a College that attracts fewer applications or making an open application will increase their chance of being made an offer. In fact, careful ongoing analysis of our admissions statistics shows that, for equally well-qualified applicants, making an open application or applying directly to a College does not affect your chance of being made an offer of a place. This is because we have rigorous procedures in place to compare all applicants for each subject before selection decisions are finalised. Strong applicants who’ve been squeezed out by the competition at their original College can be made an offer by another College through the pool. Colleges would rather admit a strong applicant from the pool than a weaker applicant who applied directly to them. - from the actual site

I personally would want to go to Corpus Christi but obviously we are not the same people and so I won't say you have to go - but if after loads of research Emmanuel sticks out - go there

One of the points on how to choose a college as well:
Personal instinct - it just ‘feels right’
Reply 2
Original post by AmIReallyHere
You could always do an open application

How NOT to choose a College

Application statistics - some applicants think, or are wrongly advised, that choosing a College that attracts fewer applications or making an open application will increase their chance of being made an offer. In fact, careful ongoing analysis of our admissions statistics shows that, for equally well-qualified applicants, making an open application or applying directly to a College does not affect your chance of being made an offer of a place. This is because we have rigorous procedures in place to compare all applicants for each subject before selection decisions are finalised. Strong applicants who’ve been squeezed out by the competition at their original College can be made an offer by another College through the pool. Colleges would rather admit a strong applicant from the pool than a weaker applicant who applied directly to them. - from the actual site

I personally would want to go to Corpus Christi but obviously we are not the same people and so I won't say you have to go - but if after loads of research Emmanuel sticks out - go there

One of the points on how to choose a college as well:
Personal instinct - it just ‘feels right’

Don't worry, I'm not that kind of applications statistics person. I mean, I did read the page but none of my college choices was affected by the statistics. Why would you say Corpus Christi? I'm interested to hear? To be honest, two people I know at Cambridge (One at Downing, the other at Emma) from my school said Emma was a great college, so I might have been under that influence... :h:
Original post by Godwinson
Don't worry, I'm not that kind of applications statistics person. I mean, I did read the page but none of my college choices was affected by the statistics. Why would you say Corpus Christi? I'm interested to hear? To be honest, two people I know at Cambridge (One at Downing, the other at Emma) from my school said Emma was a great college, so I might have been under that influence... :h:

I hqve uh- no reasoning really - it did just feel right to me when looking through lists but for now it seems to be the only one that I do want to go to however will be doing more research at a later/closer date (only Year 9 going into year 10 so I have some time before thinking):colondollar:
After months and months of researching and eliminating, I've narrowed it down to 5 colleges and I would really appreciate your opinion on these colleges? The colleges are just in a numbered list, not in ranked preference. Though I have been drawn to Emmanuel as my first choice :colondollar:. Christ's is seriously quite high on my list but I fear that it is first on the Tompkins and I don't want to be competing with geniuses...

1. Christ's
2. Peterhouse
3. Emmanuel
4. Corpus Christi
5. Trinity Hall

Try to visit them, if you can. If you are keen on Emmanuel, then apply there.
I also realised I never actually gave an opinion

I would say that if you are feeling drawn to Emmanuel - go for it - you've done the research and you are still drawn there
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
Try to visit them, if you can. If you are keen on Emmanuel, then apply there.

That's the Covid conundrum. Went to Camb but couldn't actually go to any of the colleges due to visitor restrictions...
I did go to Caius (under special circumstances) but I don't think I'll be applying there.
That's the Covid conundrum. Went to Camb but couldn't actually go to any of the colleges due to visitor restrictions...
I did go to Caius (under special circumstances) but I don't think I'll be applying there.

If there are open days, then you can visit then. Don't only go to the main College sites, you should visit an y extensions as well. For example, Corpus has Leckhampton and Trinity Hall has Wychfield.

If it comes down to your own personal choice, then go with your gut.
What have you considered so far? Is there any info you've not been able to find?

As a note: I wouldn't worry about the Tompkins table. College performance varies significantly by subject and by cohort, and even then the real-terms differences aren't that big anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by Theloniouss
What have you considered so far? Is there any info you've not been able to find?

As a note: I wouldn't worry about the Tompkins table. College performance varies significantly by subject and by cohort, and even then the real-terms differences aren't that big anyway.

I was hoping to hear about the vibe, atmosphere, reputation and etc., from current/former students of Cambridge.
I was hoping to hear about the vibe, atmosphere, reputation and etc., from current/former students of Cambridge.

Have you had a look at the Alternative Prospectus?:

https://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges?sort=name&order=asc
Reply 11
Yes. Real-time student responses on TSR are way better than the Alternative Prospectus entries IMHO. The prospectus, although student-run, still has a motive in that, it is ultimately trying to sell (in crude terms) whatever college they go to. TSR responses tend to have little nuggets of truth and wisdom embedded and I have come to really appreciate those responses.
Hi! I’m currently at Trinity Hall (about to go into my second year), and if you have any questions I’d be happy to answer them. Tit Hall is a great college with a small-ish cohort (great to get to know everyone), though not so small that it feels confining. The location of central site is ideal as it’s right in the centre and on the river, which means you can sit on the wall and watch Cambridge life go by. The library is really nice to work in and the grounds are a good mix of old and modern imo. If catering facilities are a particular concern though, perhaps keep in mind that we only have microwaves in first year on central site. Additionally, second and third years tend to live on other sites that are slightly further out, though the distance is perfectly manageable, especially if you plan to cycle. May I ask what subject you’re applying for?
Reply 13
Original post by Miriam29
Hi! I’m currently at Trinity Hall (about to go into my second year), and if you have any questions I’d be happy to answer them. Tit Hall is a great college with a small-ish cohort (great to get to know everyone), though not so small that it feels confining. The location of central site is ideal as it’s right in the centre and on the river, which means you can sit on the wall and watch Cambridge life go by. The library is really nice to work in and the grounds are a good mix of old and modern imo. If catering facilities are a particular concern though, perhaps keep in mind that we only have microwaves in first year on central site. Additionally, second and third years tend to live on other sites that are slightly further out, though the distance is perfectly manageable, especially if you plan to cycle. May I ask what subject you’re applying for?

Thank you! I'm applying for History. Someone I know is going to be going to Tit Hall next year! :-)
Thank you! I'm applying for History. Someone I know is going to be going to Tit Hall next year! :-)

Ah cool! I have a few friends doing history here and they all seem to enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending