The Student Room Group

How does one keep conversation going until meeting on dating apps

How do you keep the conversation going without it dieing and how soon should you arrange to meet in person?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
How do you keep the conversation going without it dieing and how soon should you arrange to meet in person?

Talk. Despite what u may think of urself u are a human. Communicate ffs.
Furthermore bun online like fr go out. Meet ppl. That is if ur really serious about tryna connect
Reply 2
Talk. Despite what u may think of urself u are a human. Communicate ffs.
Furthermore bun online like fr go out. Meet ppl. That is if ur really serious about tryna connect

I’m very shy and take a long time to open up to people which doesn’t help. Any advice for meeting and connecting for shy people?
Reply 3
I’m very shy and take a long time to open up to people which doesn’t help. Any advice for meeting and connecting for shy people?

If you are meeting someone from a dating app, do it safely. Make it in a public place where you have the option of easily walking away and going home, and let other people know where you are.

If you want to develop your self-confidence get involved with people who share your interests by volunteering or doing activities related to hobbies or sports etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
If you are meeting someone from a dating app, do it safely. Make it in a public place where you have the option of easily walking away and going home, and let other people know where you are.

If you want to develop your self-confidence get involved with people who share your interests by volunteering or doing activities related to hobbies or sports etc.

The latter I tend to end up just making friends at things like volunteering, activities, interests. And don’t end up dating anyone. Any advice on this?
Reply 5
The latter I tend to end up just making friends at things like volunteering, activities, interests. And don’t end up dating anyone. Any advice on this?

My advice is reread my post about doing activities...
Aim to get to know the other person. I feel like you should establish what you both want for the long term or short term to eliminate any misunderstandings before getting to know them on a meaningful level.

How soon you should wait would vary between different individuals and how comfortable they feel.
Reply 7
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Aim to get to know the other person. I feel like you should establish what you both want for the long term or short term to eliminate any misunderstandings before getting to know them on a meaningful level.

How soon you should wait would vary between different individuals and how comfortable they feel.

The conversation always dies I find. They’re always slow to reply and eventually just stop replying.
If you can't keep a conversation going with someone on the app then perhaps it's better to not meet them in person. It sounds like you don't have enough in common.
Reply 9
Original post by sinfonietta
If you can't keep a conversation going with someone on the app then perhaps it's better to not meet them in person. It sounds like you don't have enough in common.

I think there is enough in common though. They just don’t reply and it happens all the time.
I think there is enough in common though. They just don’t reply and it happens all the time.

If they aren't replying then they probably don't think there is enough in common or you aren't engaging them enough.
Original post by Trilobite.
If they aren't replying then they probably don't think there is enough in common or you aren't engaging them enough.

How do they know that after 2 or 3 message exchanges though? They stop replying typically after 2 or 3 messages.

There isn't if you run out of things to talk about before you have even met. If they're not replying then they aren't interested.
I’d just meet ASAP. Current boyfriend we started chatting via dating app on Wednesday and arranged a meet up for the Monday. I just didn’t want to keep chatting to people who were not keen to meet up (for quick drink after work or a coffee). Easily arranged when both in London.
There isn't if you run out of things to talk about before you have even met. If they're not replying then they aren't interested.

So if all of them are not interested, what am I doing wrong? My pictures? My profile is rubbish?
So if all of them are not interested, what am I doing wrong? My pictures? My profile is rubbish?

It doesn't necessarily mean you are doing anything wrong. Chances are you just haven't met someone you properly click with yet. When you find someone you're on the same wavelength as conversation will flow naturally.
It doesn't necessarily mean you are doing anything wrong. Chances are you just haven't met someone you properly click with yet. When you find someone you're on the same wavelength as conversation will flow naturally.

So clicking is based on looking at the profile and 2 or 3 message exchanges on a dating app.
How do they know that after 2 or 3 message exchanges though? They stop replying typically after 2 or 3 messages.

Then you aren't grabbing their attention.
Original post by Trilobite.
Then you aren't grabbing their attention.

How do I grab their attention?
I might be wrong, but I'm going to assume you're a guy interested in women?

The thing you have to bear in mind is that a lot of women get a lot of interest on dating apps, often they will be involved in 4-5+ separate conversations at once. Unless there's something about you that makes you really stand out, your messages will often get lost in the shuffle.

The standard "Hi, how are you?" Sort of conversation potentially just isn't going to cut it. A good starter can be to try and build a connection based on things in their profile, and try to produce a deeper sort of conversation that way. Ask them open questions and pick up on things in their responses.

And, to be blunt, it helps if your profile makes you look/sound very attractive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending