The Student Room Group

What are the best a levels for a computer science degree

What a level trio would best prepare me for a computer science degree? I knew I'm going to do A level maths and computer science, but I need a third subjec. BTW my school doesn't do further maths at a lower.
Reply 1
Try A level physics. There’s many transferable skills from it and it’s really interesting. But as long as you’ve got A level maths, I don’t see why you can’t do any subject of your choice. I know university of Manchester requires another A level in a science subject, so why not choose physics as it’s the most mathematical.
With that combination, most people do physics as their third subject, though if you can self study a bit of further maths that would be super beneficial for CS.
Reply 3
Original post by coolschmool
With that combination, most people do physics as their third subject, though if you can self study a bit of further maths that would be super beneficial for CS.

Yes, I agree. Self studying further maths or even modules that are relevant to CS like discrete and decision mathematics is extremely beneficial. But, if the workload is too much, why burden yourself? Focus on getting the required grades in your compulsory subjects.
Original post by Michael_k21
What a level trio would best prepare me for a computer science degree? I knew I'm going to do A level maths and computer science, but I need a third subjec. BTW my school doesn't do further maths at a lower.

I'm doing a computer science degree and I did A level French alongside A level Maths and CS. Quite a lot of people do another science, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing a humanity/language or something else. I did French because I enjoyed it and it's something quite different from Maths and CS.
Reply 5
Original post by thegalaxy
I'm doing a computer science degree and I did A level French alongside A level Maths and CS. Quite a lot of people do another science, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing a humanity/language or something else. I did French because I enjoyed it and it's something quite different from Maths and CS.

Is computer science difficult for those who didn’t do GCSE/A level CS. My school didn’t give us an option so I don’t have any experience with programming. I still definitely want to do it. Will I struggle, or is everything taught from scratch? Also is CS a highly mathematical subject?
Original post by Hiim
Is computer science difficult for those who didn’t do GCSE/A level CS. My school didn’t give us an option so I don’t have any experience with programming. I still definitely want to do it. Will I struggle, or is everything taught from scratch? Also is CS a highly mathematical subject?

Don't worry about not having any experience - the programming side of it is taught from scratch, for the very reason you mention - not every school offers GCSE/A-level CS. If you do want some experience before you start though have a look at websites like Codecademy.

As for how mathematical it is, it depends on what uni you go to. Some are very mathematical, some more practical. Mine at Sheffield is a nice mix, so you'll have to have a look at each course to see what they cover.

I do maths, computer science and music, just because I love music lol. I'd reccomend doing something you enjoy and doing well in it. Most places are chill with just maths and CS but it depends where you want to go and some also make you do admissions tests.
Original post by Hiim
Try A level physics. There’s many transferable skills from it and it’s really interesting. But as long as you’ve got A level maths, I don’t see why you can’t do any subject of your choice. I know university of Manchester requires another A level in a science subject, so why not choose physics as it’s the most mathematical.

Doesn't A level computer science count as an extra science?
Reply 9
Doesn't A level computer science count as an extra science?

Yeah, my bad. I just checked and Manchester uni does allow computer science as an additional science subject. I’m sure this is the consensus at most universities aswell.

Hi Michael!

As a few people have said, subjects such as A-level Physics have a large amount of transferable skills - ultimately Computer Science is a field of mathematics and the problem solving skills you gain from Physics will transfer will into a Computer Science degree.

I'd also suggest looking at some universities that you're considering attending and see if they have any explicit (or suggested) requirements for A-levels. With Maths/Computer Science you've most likely checked all the boxes - but it's always worth doing some research!

If you're not interested in Physics, or don't enjoy it: you can always pick a subject that you find interesting and want to do. You'll have to study your option for 2 years - I found that choosing a subject that I enjoyed & found interesting caused me to perform better than if I chose one that may have been more relevant to my degree choice (CompSci).

Hope this helps & best of luck!

~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending