The Student Room Group

Part time job after uni

Gvhhb
(edited 2 years ago)
Why would it be bad for you to accept it? It's better to make some money while looking for a new job than to be unemployed and have no income coming in. That's my opinion anyway.
Original post by Gfigh
I was thinking of what people may think, as ive graduated university and didn't get a job in my field

1) What is your degree in and what field are you hoping to go into?

2) How long have you been looking for a job in that sector? Were you trying to line up a job before you finished uni or did you wait until graduation?

3) Is there any chance you can take that part time job and volunteer in your free time in your related field of study?
Reply 3
Original post by Philip-flop
1) What is your degree in and what field are you hoping to go into?

2) How long have you been looking for a job in that sector? Were you trying to line up a job before you finished uni or did you wait until graduation?

3) Is there any chance you can take that part time job and volunteer in your free time in your related field of study?

Spoiler

Original post by Gfigh

Spoiler

Most accounting/finance grads would have made sure in their third year that they had something lined up for when they finished university. Can I ask why you waited so long?

Have you thought about volunteering at local firms? Send your CV out to as many places within a good radius. That's how I got my first accounting job at a firm and I ended up working there for 5 years as I got on really well with people there!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Its fine, just try not to get too comfortable.

I was in a similar position. Graduated in a September, missed that round of grad scheme applications so didn't start applying for grad jobs until the following August. And then took until around January time to secure a grad role starting in the September. All in all nearly 2 years after graduating to starting a grad job.

I took and quit jobs as needed in those 2 years. When grad scheme applications started opening, I quit my job. I wanted to spend all my time dedicated to applying for roles. I took about 2-3 months off and spent my days researching, applying, prepping and taking aptitude tests etc. You dont want to let your part time job come in the way of doing that.
Original post by josh_v
Its fine, just try not to get too comfortable.

I was in a similar position. Graduated in a September, missed that round of grad scheme applications so didn't start applying for grad jobs until the following August. And then took until around January time to secure a grad role starting in the September. All in all nearly 2 years after graduating to starting a grad job.

I took and quit jobs as needed in those 2 years. When grad scheme applications started opening, I quit my job. I wanted to spend all my time dedicated to applying for roles. I took about 2-3 months off and spent my days researching, applying, prepping and taking aptitude tests etc. You dont want to let your part time job come in the way of doing that.

2 years! Wow. At least you got there in the end!
Reply 7
Original post by Philip-flop
Most accounting/finance grads would have made sure in their third year that they had something lined up for when they finished university. Can I ask why you waited so long?

Have you thought about volunteering at local firms? Send your CV out to as many places within a good radius. That's how I got my first accounting job at a firm and I ended up working there for 5 years as I got on really well with people there!

If im being honest u just got lazy with the pandemic going on and hadn't applied for any roles god i with i did

I am considering the idea of volunteering to hopefully build some expirence in the sector, should i send my application to big firms?
Reply 8
Original post by Gfigh
If im being honest u just got lazy with the pandemic going on and hadn't applied for any roles god i with i did

I am considering the idea of volunteering to hopefully build some expirence in the sector, should i send my application to big firms?

Arent grad scheme applications currently/about to open?

Make a list of all the places you want to apply for. Choose an industry that interests you and then find a list of companies in that industry. You mentioned finance, so first industry could be banking. Second could be accounting firms. Third could be insurance and so on. For each industry list the companies. You can easily end up with 30+ on the list and thats just the starting point with big companies.

Methodically work your way through the list checking their website for what is available. Some will be open for grad schemes, some wont. Have a look, see what they have available and put in an application. Keep track of what you've applied to. It can make life easier to keep a record of all the answers you give to the application questions as you find once you start doing more, questions often repeat and you can reuse answers.

You might get lucky and get something on your first few applications. You might not and end up doing 50 applications. Either way, its better to stick at it and try to get something rather than spending years doing a job you dont like.
Reply 9
Original post by Gfigh
Thanks for the advice, i had been finding the test they have very hard, what's best ways To ace these

Practice practice practice.

There are some free resources online and you can buy additional material online or from book stores. You'll probably be asked to complete logical, numerical and verbal reasoning tests so buy material focused on that.
Original post by Gfigh
I have recently graduated from University and finding it hard to find a job on my ideal career path. I am currently in process of accepting a part time cashier job as i would need cash whilst i am unemployed for the moment.

I am not devaluing the job in anyway but having recently graduated i would ideally wanted a job in my field of study..

Is there anything wrong with accepting this job for the meantime?

Every student would love a job in their study field right out of uni but the reality is, it isn't always doable. The market is so competitive and even with the best education/grades it can still take time to find your feet and figure out not only what you want to do but where you want to work. Focus on the positives - you're going to be earning money and you can still look for other roles while you are there. There's absolutely nothing wrong with accepting this job, if anything you're relieving pressure on yourself.
Original post by Gfigh
I have recently graduated from University and finding it hard to find a job on my ideal career path. I am currently in process of accepting a part time cashier job as i would need cash whilst i am unemployed for the moment.

I am not devaluing the job in anyway but having recently graduated i would ideally wanted a job in my field of study..

What field would you like a job with? I know its not ideal but you could get part-time work and find an internship in the field to boost your CV. I personally used the Young Work App to find my placement. They have part-time work too. They didn't have a corporate legal placement but when I asked their staff they found one for me. It could be worth a shot?
Original post by Gfigh

Hi, I hope you are well.

There is nothing wrong with accepting a job whilst you are searching for the job that you want. It will boost your income and give you valuable experience for when you are applying for jobs in your desired field.

I hope this helps.

Ilona - Pearson Business School Student Ambassador
Original post by Gfigh

I'd get a job until you find something better.
Having a job is better than no job. It may not be in your chosen career, but at least you are gaining skills, experience, money, a reference etc etc. And when you find something better you can go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending