The Student Room Group

From Clearing to a First Class Degree! Feel free to ask me questions :)

If you have a question about your Firm or Insurance choices, Clearing or other UCAS-related issues then please ask your question HERE or post in the Clearing FAQ threads.

Hi guys! :hi: I'm Cheese :wavey: I'm a Vegetable :h: and I went through Clearing to get my University place studying Chemistry at the University of Southampton :woo:
This year I graduated on my 4 year course doing MChem Chemistry with a First Class Honours!! :woohoo: :happy2: :smartass:

If you have questions about chemistry as a course, you should ask it here. Similarly with Southampton as a Uni, use the relevant threads on the University of Southampton's forum :yy:

This thread is here to help dispel some of the myths surrounding clearing, I am also here to answer any of your questions about going through Clearing, what it is, any worries you have or just any questions about University in general :tongue:

There are loads more of these threads which you can find listed below. They are for different subjects and different Universities so please take a look! If you would also like to offer a helping hand, just let us know! :ta:
Useful Links:
Big Fat List of Clearing Threads on TSR
Clearing FAQ 2021
List of Clearing Vacancies from Unis
Adjustment FAQs
Clearing Plus FAQs

The Steps of Going Through Clearing:
Step 1: on results day both firm and insurance uni choices reject you.

Or you may have released yourself into clearing after careful consideration that you no longer wish to go to your firm/insurance options and that another opportunity has been found better suited to you!
You are in clearing and are given a clearing number.

Step 2: phone up unis you want to apply to and see if you can get a place. This involves stating your clearing number, name, phone number and grades and saying why you want to go to said uni/do said course.

Step 3: if they offer you a place, consider it and wait for an email with confirmation of a place for which you can apply to using UCAS. If successful skip to 5.

Step 4: if unsuccessful repeat step 2-3.

Step 5: consider all places offered by researching and doing a pro/con list for each. Then enter your chosen uni + course into UCAS using your clearing number after you have confirmation of a place being offered by a uni.

Step 6: time to celebrate aka pizza time, you earned it!! you're off to Uni :woo:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

That's amazing cheese - well done! So pleased for you :party:
Original post by Muttley79
That's amazing cheese - well done! So pleased for you :party:

:jumphug: Thanks so much Muttley! :colondollar:
I hope that I can dispel any myths that 'you can't achieve xyz after going through Clearing', I know I faced those even within my own family so it's a great achievement and I hope I can help answer questions about it :youbetcha:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
thats brilliant! Many congratulations.
Original post by ajj2000
thats brilliant! Many congratulations.

:ta: :woo: :hugs:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
If you have a question about your Firm or Insurance choices, Clearing or other UCAS-related issues then please ask your question HERE or post in the Clearing FAQ threads.

Hi guys! :hi: I'm Cheese :wavey: I'm a Vegetable :h: and I went through Clearing to get my University place studying Chemistry at the University of Southampton :woo:
This year I graduated on my 4 year course doing MChem Chemistry with a First Class Honours!! :woohoo: :happy2: :smartass:

If you have questions about chemistry as a course, you should ask it here. Similarly with Southampton as a Uni, use the relevant threads on the University of Southampton's forum :yy:

This thread is here to help dispel some of the myths surrounding clearing, I am also here to answer any of your questions about going through Clearing, what it is, any worries you have or just any questions about University in general :tongue:

There are loads more of these threads which you can find listed below. They are for different subjects and different Universities so please take a look! If you would also like to offer a helping hand, just let us know! :ta:
Useful Links:
Clearing FAQ 2021
Adjustment FAQs
Clearing Plus FAQs

Or you may have released yourself into clearing after careful consideration that you no longer wish to go to your firm/insurance options and that another opportunity has been found better suited to you!

Step 2: phone up unis you want to apply to and see if you can get a place. This involves stating your clearing number, name, phone number and grades and saying why you want to go to said uni/do said course.

Step 3: if they offer you a place, consider it and wait for an email with confirmation of a place for which you can apply to using UCAS. If successful skip to 5.

Step 5: consider all places offered by researching and doing a pro/con list for each. Then enter your chosen uni + course into UCAS using your clearing number after you have confirmation of a place being offered by a uni.

Step 6: time to celebrate aka pizza time, you earned it!! you're off to Uni :woo:

When you say "why do you want to go" what should I particular say that will make it more convincing for the uni to take me?
Original post by idkbrohelp
When you say "why do you want to go" what should I particular say that will make it more convincing for the uni to take me?

Say things you put on your personal statement, maybe topics you are interested in or research that has inspired you! Or if there is a particular part of University there you're looking forward to :smile:
That’s an amazing achievement, you are my role model :daydreaming:
I hope you treated yourself :biggrin: :yay:
Fantastic stuff! Well done!

What's on the agenda for you now (career wise)?
Original post by Mesopotamian.
That’s an amazing achievement, you are my role model :daydreaming:
I hope you treated yourself :biggrin: :yay:

Aw that's very sweet :colondollar: :tongue:

Ah yes I mean pizza tonight :ninja: but I went on a holiday not long afterwards where much splurging took place hehe
Original post by Philip-flop
Fantastic stuff! Well done!

What's on the agenda for you now (career wise)?

Thank you :hugs:

So whilst I was writing up my thesis this year I got a job as a scientist.
It's my second week in that job :woo:

I'm giving it a go because I want some experience in the industry :yy:
I want to see how it goes and if I like it, I will keep going or get a job in a different company, whichever! Otherwise I might go and do a PhD, just not sure in what yet :tongue:

Useful Links:
Clearing FAQ 2021
Adjustment FAQs
Clearing Plus FAQs

Congratulations on your final degree result!

Did you know much about Southampton before you applied? Furthermore, did you feel you had enough time to prepare for the Southampton having gone through the Clearing process?
Original post by University of Winchester
Congratulations on your final degree result!

Did you know much about Southampton before you applied? Furthermore, did you feel you had enough time to prepare for the Southampton having gone through the Clearing process?

Hi, thank you :hugs:

Yes I did, I'd been to the open day and my physics teacher graduated from the uni and always said great things :smile: I had an acquaintance who studied there as well

Yes, we were sent a few questions to do before we started the course plus there was a clearing open day where I asked all my questions! It was very good and I felt prepared to start at Southampton. Accommodation etc all was sorted before the end of the week of results I believe!
#ClearingIsVeg

Useful Links:
Clearing FAQ 2021
Adjustment FAQs
Clearing Plus FAQs

Step 5 is very good advice. Too many people rush around like a headless chicken on results morning and accept the first offer they get. You’ll have several hours on the day before you can refer yourself anywhere. Use that time to shop around.

Each uni will specify how long their clearing offer is valid for. There’s no rush and you might find yourself with several good options to consider.
Reply 15

Useful Links:
Clearing FAQ 2021
Adjustment FAQs
Clearing Plus FAQs

Fantastic
Original post by Admit-One
Step 5 is very good advice. Too many people rush around like a headless chicken on results morning and accept the first offer they get. You’ll have several hours on the day before you can refer yourself anywhere. Use that time to shop around.

Each uni will specify how long their clearing offer is valid for. There’s no rush and you might find yourself with several good options to consider.

Yes! It's so important to take some time to breathe, consider your options and remember that it's you who will spend 3-4 years at this University studying this degree so you want to ensure you're taking everything into account when you're making your decisions! :yes:
Original post by Ak4753
Fantastic

:five: have a fab weekend :yy:
Ahhh well done Cheese! :jumphug:
Best wishes to all those collecting results today! :rave:
You got this! :yep:
TSR is here for you if you need any help, support or want a chat :yy:
Thinking of you all,
Cheese
Did you ever have the chance of transferring to a different uni ?

Latest

Trending

Trending