The Student Room Group

How to talk to clearing reps

So I'll be going through clearing next week and calling up both Aberdeen Uni (just below entry requirments) and UHI ( meet requirments) .

But I have terrible telephone anxiety and although I know what information I need to give I don't know how i'm expected to give it or how to start the call..

Is anyone able to give me a very basic general script of what the call would be like?
Original post by ChasenStars
So I'll be going through clearing next week and calling up both Aberdeen Uni (just below entry requirments) and UHI ( meet requirments) .

But I have terrible telephone anxiety and although I know what information I need to give I don't know how i'm expected to give it or how to start the call..

Is anyone able to give me a very basic general script of what the call would be like?

So when they pick up all you need to say is something like "I'm in Clearing and I'd like to apply for your Maths/Engineering/Spanish/whatever course".

They'll guide you through the process, they'll just go through collecting various information from you (UCAS number, grades etc.)

Just to add, I applied to Aberdeen through clearing, i didn't end up going there but they did stand out to me as being very friendly on the phone - though every uni operator will understand that Clearing can be quite stressful so will be there to be friendly and guide you across the way!
Most of the staff answering Clearing calls are actually students - they know exactly what this feels like, and they will just ask you all the stuff they need to know.
As above, most clearing staff are actually temporary staff so they will have a script to follow themselves. Once you let them know which course you are interested in, they will just prompt you for all the information they need. Most of it will be qualification related so just have everything including your GCSE results to hand.
Something I found which helped me with phone anxiety was having something of a "script" to work from - then I wouldn't be panicking trying to think of what to say and forgetting to listen to what the other person was going to say. This might be worth trying - also it's quite applicable to the format of calling up in clearing anyway, as above you pretty much want to just have your details to hand and explain you're in clearing, want to enquire about X course, and then see what they say (probably asking you for details from your UCAS application - so have these to hand!).
Also, don’t worry too much - they will expect students phoning up to be nervous so won’t judge you for it :smile:
Original post by thegalaxy
So when they pick up all you need to say is something like "I'm in Clearing and I'd like to apply for your Maths/Engineering/Spanish/whatever course".

They'll guide you through the process, they'll just go through collecting various information from you (UCAS number, grades etc.)

Just to add, I applied to Aberdeen through clearing, i didn't end up going there but they did stand out to me as being very friendly on the phone - though every uni operator will understand that Clearing can be quite stressful so will be there to be friendly and guide you across the way!

Thank you this is very helpful. I actually applied and had an offer for Aberdeen before I choose my insurance . Worried that plus been a little under my initial offer will reflect badly
Original post by artful_lounger
Something I found which helped me with phone anxiety was having something of a "script" to work from - then I wouldn't be panicking trying to think of what to say and forgetting to listen to what the other person was going to say. This might be worth trying - also it's quite applicable to the format of calling up in clearing anyway, as above you pretty much want to just have your details to hand and explain you're in clearing, want to enquire about X course, and then see what they say (probably asking you for details from your UCAS application - so have these to hand!).

I make scripts for every phone call I have to make anyway I was just using this a away to make sure what I'm saying is correct and I wont embarras myself
Thank you this is very helpful. I actually applied and had an offer for Aberdeen before I choose my insurance . Worried that plus been a little under my initial offer will reflect badly

Declining an offer isn’t a bad thing. In clearing it’s a good thing - they know you are applying knowing quite a but about them and not just picking universities at random at the last minute
I actually applied and had an offer for Aberdeen before I choose my insurance . Worried that plus been a little under my initial offer will reflect badly

It won't, if anything having applied to Aberdeen before will reflect well because it shows them that they were originally in your top 5 so presumably have researched the uni well rather than just picking a random uni in Clearing.

Hi @ChasenStars

We understand that it’s not always as easy as picking up the phone. Not knowing what to expect or what’s expected of you can make it a very anxious experience before, during, and even after. Please know that there’s no judgement here, our friendly Clearing Team understand that it’s a stressful time for many and not everyone is comfortable speaking on the phone.

On the 10th August 2021, we will be opening a live chat service, as well as the usual Clearing Hotline. If you prefer, you can chat with the team over live chat rather than speaking on the phone. :cyber: Whether typing or talking, our Clearing Team will be ready to listen and support you through the process. To help you prepare, we’ve put together a set of FAQs about what to expect and what you need to have with you.

Good luck with next week! :flower2:

Livi
Original post by UoA Enquiry Team
Hi @ChasenStars

We understand that it’s not always as easy as picking up the phone. Not knowing what to expect or what’s expected of you can make it a very anxious experience before, during, and even after. Please know that there’s no judgement here, our friendly Clearing Team understand that it’s a stressful time for many and not everyone is comfortable speaking on the phone.

On the 10th August 2021, we will be opening a live chat service, as well as the usual Clearing Hotline. If you prefer, you can chat with the team over live chat rather than speaking on the phone. :cyber: Whether typing or talking, our Clearing Team will be ready to listen and support you through the process. To help you prepare, we’ve put together a set of FAQs about what to expect and what you need to have with you.

Livi

Oh that is so good to hear! thank you for letting me know
Oh that is so good to hear! thank you for letting me know

You're very welcome! If you have any other questions along the way, feel free to give us a shout here :h:

I was in the same situation years ago.
I applied to Abdn, got an offer, turned it down and then applied again through clearing (with lower grades too). Got an offer no problem :smile:
And I emailed them instead of calling. But I can see they have a chat now so that's even better! Good Luck
Original post by Nessie162
I was in the same situation years ago.
I applied to Abdn, got an offer, turned it down and then applied again through clearing (with lower grades too). Got an offer no problem :smile:
And I emailed them instead of calling. But I can see they have a chat now so that's even better! Good Luck

Do you mind if I ask how much lower? I'm worried I'm shooting too high for my grades
Do you mind if I ask how much lower? I'm worried I'm shooting too high for my grades

The offer was BB in the two highers I was doing in 6th year and I got accepted with CC.
But I also got AABB the year before so that probably played a part too.
Original post by UoA Enquiry Team
Hi @ChasenStars

Livi

hi how do i find/access the live chat tomorrow

Hi @ChasenStars

The first thing to remember is the people on the clearing hotlines are there to help you :smile: My advice would be to make sure you have looked online so that you know exactly which course it is that you're interested in, and to have your grade certificates handy as you'll be asked for these as part of your clearing call!

I hope this helps and good luck!
^Emily
hi how do i find/access the live chat tomorrow

Hi @ChasenStars! :smile: Tomorrow, there will be a Live Chat widget in the corner of our Clearing web pages: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/clearing/ All the best! Paul

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending