The Student Room Group

Eye sight

I had 20/20 vision until I was 15, when I was diagnosed with astigmatism and short sightedness. My prescription lenses were pretty low but have been steadily getting worse ever since.

I’m 19 now and just got fitted for -3.25 lenses. Is this bad? What would class as like, bad eyesight generally? I know it’s almost halfway between the official moderate and severe vision impairment but idk if this is actually bad/weak.

It’s still getting worse too so I fear it will just get even lower a number. I’m not like super anxious about this but I am a bit.
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Bump
You can always get laser eye surgery.
Reply 4
It is still considered low myopia.
I'm about the same level as you are (astigmatism combined). 0.50 diopter per year is a normal progression, nothing to worry about.
Watch your lifestyle and change some bad habits it should slow down or maybe improve, my vision did.
Reply 5
Original post by Kathy89
It is still considered low myopia.
I'm about the same level as you are (astigmatism combined). 0.50 diopter per year is a normal progression, nothing to worry about.
Watch your lifestyle and change some bad habits it should slow down or maybe improve, my vision did.

I looked it up and apparently it’s moderate and my astigmatism makes it worse in other areas. Idk what like, the most common prescription range is, like how strong most people’s glasses my age are. Am I ‘blinder’ than the average 19 year old?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I looked it up and apparently it’s moderate and my astigmatism makes it worse in other areas. Idk what like, the most common prescription range is, like how strong most people’s glasses my age are. Am I ‘blinder’ than the average 19 year old?

Around 3-4 diopters.

Under 4 diopters it is still considered low myopia.
Original post by Anonymous

Kathy is an optician so will give good advice.

But there’s no point comparing yourself to others. It doesn’t matter
The days where you’d wear thick lenses in your glasses are long gone.
They’re thin and lightweight now.
Concentrate on improving your health and anything you can do to also improve eye health.
Find a style that suits you and rock it!
Best wishes

Quick Reply

Latest