The Student Room Group

Revision

Anyone have any tips for discipline, as in when revising? I find it difficult to stick to my revision timetable and I procrastinate all the time. Anything would be helpful, thank you x
Original post by Bellacool3706
Anyone have any tips for discipline, as in when revising? I find it difficult to stick to my revision timetable and I procrastinate all the time. Anything would be helpful, thank you x

When I was revising for my end of year exams, I used the pomodoro technique. This stopped me procrastinating as I could take breaks regularly. Hope this helps :smile:
Hi! Thanks, I’ll definitely check that out x
Reply 3

Well, honestly I'm quite a procrastinator. But, maybe sticking to a certain amount of time for each subject/ a specific subject. Keeping away from your phone/pc/console. And I know some people "reward" themselves after by going on their phone/relaxing after doing some revision.
There's also some study music called "lofi music" and you may like it, can be kinda distracting but can be nice.
Maybe putting timers for each subject (30 mins for maths), (15 min break). It kinda depends on what you prefer.
Also if you procrastinate because you aren't in the mood, maybe try and create a better mood, clear your desk, put your phone in a different room, maybe even before, watch some revision videos, or any tips people have on revision or on the subject you are doing (will probs be more useful than me lmao) All of luck!
My daughter has a terrible procrastination / distraction issue.

She's worked out that she can JUST ABOUT study in 20 minute intervals, with 10 minute breaks in-between.
She also listens to music when she studies.

It baffles me how anybody can be so unfocused to be honest, but I suppose everyone is different.
Original post by lizloe
Well, honestly I'm quite a procrastinator. But, maybe sticking to a certain amount of time for each subject/ a specific subject. Keeping away from your phone/pc/console. And I know some people "reward" themselves after by going on their phone/relaxing after doing some revision.
There's also some study music called "lofi music" and you may like it, can be kinda distracting but can be nice.
Maybe putting timers for each subject (30 mins for maths), (15 min break). It kinda depends on what you prefer.
Also if you procrastinate because you aren't in the mood, maybe try and create a better mood, clear your desk, put your phone in a different room, maybe even before, watch some revision videos, or any tips people have on revision or on the subject you are doing (will probs be more useful than me lmao) All of luck!

Thank you so much for your advice!

GET RID OF DISTRACTIONS YOU ARE PRONE TO; don't just turn off your phone, get someone to hide it
Use music as long as it doesn't distract you too much (I'd recommend you opt for non-lyrical music that you enjoy)
Set aside time for you to 'procrastinate'. What distracts you the most? For example, YouTube was my worst enemy so when I got home I would allow myself to go on in for 20 minutes before I began work so I'm satisfied I haven't missed anything and therefore it won't loom over me when I'm trying to focus on work. However, be careful that you stay to a short, set amount of time - you could achieve this by 'locking' a distraction after a certain time period, or get a family member to confiscate procrastination tools. Also, get in a routine. Consistency makes studying easier when it's habitual and it will improve your concentration span. You could also find ways to develop your self- discipline in other aspects of life e.g exercise, sticking to bed/waking times, completing tasks like tidying your room routinely and periodically. Hope this helps.
I know it can be extremely easy to procrastinate, but just remember that fighting the temptation is only short-term and the rewards of focus and hard work will be greater and longer lasting - you've got this!
Oh my days, that’s super helpful, thank you so much, seriously, that amount of detail is fantastic, thank you for bothering to write it all out for me! I’ll definitely try and create some sort of routine tomorrow, (I’m in bed procrastinating on sleeping) and after reading your advice, I’ve decided not to go on my phone until a certain time in the afternoon, I hope you have a brilliant day, really appreciate your help x
No worries, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest