The Student Room Group

History or Law degree

I am going into year 13 and study History, English Literature and Spanish. (my predicted grades are A* A A).
I want to go into a career in law but I love history and would like to continue doing it in uni and with the previous GDL it seemed that this option would not put me at a disadvantage but now with the new SQE am I going to be at a disadvantage as a non-law student and will law firms prefer people with law degrees at uni?
General Question: should I do a history or law degree with the end goal of a career in law?
(edited 2 years ago)
history then u can do a gdl and go into law bc u get to do smth u enjoy and it gives u a wider skill set in the long run
Don't think law firms even prefer LLB grads vs other grads with a GDL now much less post SQE. I might be wrong but, I seriously doubt it. The Bar certainly doesn't so I can't see why solicitor firms would?
All firms will continue to require non-law to do a GDL, so little will practically change.

The intake split is normally 50:50, so there’s not really a preference.
AFAIK, the SQE consists of material that even Law students wouldn't know about. It's supposed to cater for everyone, so I don't see why doing History would put you at a disadvantage. It would be much better if you did something you enjoyed at uni!
Do non-law grads still need to do the GDL and then the new SQE or can they just go straight to the SQE now?
Original post by LawStudent456
Do non-law grads still need to do the GDL and then the new SQE or can they just go straight to the SQE now?

No idea. Any law students/lawyers know?
Reply 7
Original post by LawStudent456

if you decide to do a non-law degree you would do the SQE prep course or the PGDL before the SQE exams to give you some knowledge of law. if you take this quiz from the University of Law it will tell you the route you would take after your undergrad :smile:

https://solicitorquiz.law.ac.uk/

no, law firms do not prefer law grads. hiring rate between law/non-law is 50/50.
If you do history not law you will have up to an extra year of studies after as now. That is a bit complicated as you then need either a masters loan or a law firm to sponsor you. If you have the master's loan you then won't have a master's loan for the studies for SQE2 so a law degree will be simpler and quicker. You would still have to take the SQE1 exam immediately after your law degree however or during it or whenever any sponsoring law firm asks you to do it.

Eg the City Consortium want their future trainees who don't do a law degree to do a course first before SQE1 exams. See the CCP link on this page https://www.slaughterandmay.com/careers/trainee-solicitors/apply/the-route-to-qualification/

It won't make too much difference other than the funding issue that not doing a law degree means you may have to do up to an extra year of studying. I did law and loved it (A levels History, English lit and German so pretty similar to yours). Lots of people convert to law after. 50% of people at big firms read law as a first degree and 50% did not in terms of new recruits.
I acc study law and something that we learn is a theory that people without a law degree make better lawyers. Only a theory, pretty peak but ye defo do what U enjoy more it’ll help drive you to actually get the work done :smile:
Hello,

It is definitely possible to still have a career in law with a history degree. Some law firms are actually 50/50 split in terms of people who have a law degree and non law. If history is something you are really interested in, as has been mentioned above I’d really recommend looking into the GDL. However, also bare in mind that with this route it will take you longer to qualify in the legal field and it is more expensive.

Ultimately, I think it’s important to consider which subject you are most interested in studying - history or law. With a law degree you will study law in more depth than in the GDL where it’s the core modules compressed into 2 years. I think you should also consider whether you’d rather spend more time studying if you are sure you want a career in law and whether the extra cost is something you want to take on. Both have pros and cons - it’s really about finding the option that suits you best.

Best of luck in your decision.

Teresa (University of Southampton Ambassador)
I’m actually struggling with this exact same dilemma. I have an offer from unis to study history and an offer to study law, that’s how undecided I am about it. The main think driving me towards doing law is that I know I won’t be able to find the masters before doing the SQE and I don’t want to rely on getting a law firm to sponsor me because that’s so far from being guaranteed. Plus I feel like it’s “harder” to find somewhere that’ll sponsor you for a masters and the SQE1 and 2 as opposed as finding a training contact that sponsors you for the SQE 1 and 2 alone when you have a law degree. It’s a difficult one, I’d enjoy history but if I know I want to go into law I may as well start working towards it now?
Original post by justjas33
I’m actually struggling with this exact same dilemma. I have an offer from unis to study history and an offer to study law, that’s how undecided I am about it. The main think driving me towards doing law is that I know I won’t be able to find the masters before doing the SQE and I don’t want to rely on getting a law firm to sponsor me because that’s so far from being guaranteed. Plus I feel like it’s “harder” to find somewhere that’ll sponsor you for a masters and the SQE1 and 2 as opposed as finding a training contact that sponsors you for the SQE 1 and 2 alone when you have a law degree. It’s a difficult one, I’d enjoy history but if I know I want to go into law I may as well start working towards it now?

Hello,

It can definitely be a difficult decision. I’d personally suggest going with whichever subject you are most interested in given that a career in law is an option available to you with the GDL (assuming costs and the fact that it will take you longer to qualify). When you think about studying, are you more interested in history or law? A law degree will allow you to study law in more depth and branch out more from the core modules. So if what you are really interested in is law I’d recommend a law degree. If however you have a huge interest in history, then doing a history degree may be the right choice for you, given that a career in law is still open to you afterwards. It really depends where your interests lie academically more.

It may be a good idea to go to both a history taster lecture and law one and see which one you enjoy the most.

In terms of qualifying in the legal sector - this will be different depending on whether you want to become a barrister or solicitor. I’m guessing given you mentioned the SQE, that you are more interested in the solicitor route. According to the SRA (solicitors regulation authority) to qualify through the SQE route you’ll need you will need to:

have a degree in any subject or equivalent level 6 qualification
pass both stages of the SQE assessment
two years' full-time (or equivalent) qualifying work experience
pass our character and suitability requirements.

Any questions let me know!

Best of luck,

(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hello,

It can definitely be a difficult decision. I’d personally suggest going with whichever subject you are most interested in given that a career in law is an option available to you with the GDL (assuming costs and the fact that it will take you longer to qualify). When you think about studying, are you more interested in history or law? A law degree will allow you to study law in more depth and branch out more from the core modules. So if what you are really interested in is law I’d recommend a law degree. If however you have a huge interest in history, then doing a history degree may be the right choice for you, given that a career in law is still open to you afterwards. It really depends where your interests lie academically more.

It may be a good idea to go to both a history taster lecture and law one and see which one you enjoy the most.

In terms of qualifying in the legal sector - this will be different depending on whether you want to become a barrister or solicitor. I’m guessing given you mentioned the SQE, that you are more interested in the solicitor route. According to the SRA (solicitors regulation authority) to qualify through the SQE route you’ll need you will need to:

have a degree in any subject or equivalent level 6 qualification
pass both stages of the SQE assessment
two years' full-time (or equivalent) qualifying work experience
pass our character and suitability requirements.

Any questions let me know!

Best of luck,

Thank you for your time in helping me out! It’s such a tricky decision, doing law would be almost exclusively for my future career etc and having done a Level law I know I enjoy it. Doing history has no career motivations so to speak, it would only be because I enjoyed it at a level and it was my best subject in that I never had to push myself too hard to do well. I’m definitely interested in both, and knowing the kind of learner I am three years of law would be much more beneficial than one accelerated course after my history ba. Mainly because I don’t think I’d be able to grasp it all in one year. But ofc like you said law is unique in that the option is still there even if you don’t do it at undergrad. So it’s a very tricky one, genuinely 50/50😅
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by justjas33
Thank you for your time in helping me out! It’s such a tricky decision, doing law would be almost exclusively for my future career etc and having done a Level law I know I enjoy it. Doing history has no career motivations so to speak, it would only be because I enjoyed it at a level and it was my best subject in that I never had to push myself too hard to do well. I’m definitely interested in both, and knowing the kind of learner I am three years of law would be much more beneficial than one accelerated course after my history ba. Mainly because I don’t think I’d be able to grasp it all in one year. But ofc like you said law is unique in that the option is still there even if you don’t do it at undergrad. So it’s a very tricky one, genuinely 50/50😅

No problem- feel free to drop me any questions about what studying law is like. I’m a third year law student so have now done all the core modules 🙂

All the best of luck with your decision!

(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending