The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Leeds

Hi! I’m an international student and I was looking at those two unis for my undergraduate degree. Warwick (Management, AAA) and Leeds (International Business and Marketing, AAA). I prefer the course content at Leeds and the fact that it’s in a bigger city with more things to do but from what I heard Warwick is the more “prestigious” uni. My question is, what kind of differences should I expect between those universities? Would I significantly benefit from choosing Warwick over Leeds or is there a marginal difference between them (career prospects, teaching, social life)?
(edited 2 years ago)
I don’t know much about Leeds, but I do have a friend at Warwick and considered going there myself. From what I’ve gathered, the campus there is in the middle of nowhere pretty much, so if you’re looking for things to do, I’d go with Leeds. If you’re worried about employment prospects I wouldn’t necessarily choose what you might consider to be the more “prestigious” of the two. It might be worth checking their websites and some leaderboards to see what graduate prospects are like for the courses you’re interested in. Again, you could see what the standard of teaching is for those courses on leaderboards.

Ultimately, Warwick is a campus uni while Leeds is a city one. I’d say Leeds would probably have a better social life for students with it being in a fairly large city. But campus-based unis are alright if social life is something you’re considering (i.e., student unions are usually better, everything is in one place, etc.).

Anyway, hope this helps.
Original post by Gabriel-01
I don’t know much about Leeds, but I do have a friend at Warwick and considered going there myself. From what I’ve gathered, the campus there is in the middle of nowhere pretty much, so if you’re looking for things to do, I’d go with Leeds. If you’re worried about employment prospects I wouldn’t necessarily choose what you might consider to be the more “prestigious” of the two. It might be worth checking their websites and some leaderboards to see what graduate prospects are like for the courses you’re interested in. Again, you could see what the standard of teaching is for those courses on leaderboards.

Ultimately, Warwick is a campus uni while Leeds is a city one. I’d say Leeds would probably have a better social life for students with it being in a fairly large city. But campus-based unis are alright if social life is something you’re considering (i.e., student unions are usually better, everything is in one place, etc.).

Anyway, hope this helps.

thank you so much! how can I check the teaching standard on leaderboards tho?
The guardian leaderboard has a category labelled ‘satisfied with teaching’ which scores unis out of 100 if that’s any help. TheUniGuide also lists all UK unis and their Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) ratings. Although the only one I could find was for 2019, so ratings might’ve changed since then.
Original post by usernameee123
Hi! I’m an international student and I was looking at those two unis for my undergraduate degree. Warwick (Management, AAA) and Leeds (International Business and Marketing, AAA). I prefer the course content at Leeds and the fact that it’s in a bigger city with more things to do but from what I heard Warwick is the more “prestigious” uni. My question is, what kind of differences should I expect between those universities? Would I significantly benefit from choosing Warwick over Leeds or is there a marginal difference between them (career prospects, teaching, social life)?

Warwick is more targeted as they are a low target uni for IB whereas Leeds are a low semi-target really but the social life and all that will be far better at Leeds and honestly if you do well, get internships and work experience, it wont really matter.
Doesn't matter unless you're trying to go into IB, in which case Warwick gives a marginal advantage, being a target/semi-target (I forget which).
Original post by econhelp525
Doesn't matter unless you're trying to go into IB, in which case Warwick gives a marginal advantage, being a target/semi-target (I forget which).

Warwick are a target. Leeds aren't really either, I'd put them a tier below in a list of uni's that are better than non-targets but not quite semi.
Leeds, Loughborough, Lancaster, Exeter, York, etc. I've heard of a few people getting into IB from all of them so shouldn't be much less at a disadvantage compared to solid semi-targets Durham, Bristol, KCL, Manchester, Nottingham, Bath and Cass
Original post by thatguyme
Warwick are a target. Leeds aren't really either, I'd put them a tier below in a list of uni's that are better than non-targets but not quite semi.
Leeds, Loughborough, Lancaster, Exeter, York, etc. I've heard of a few people getting into IB from all of them so shouldn't be much less at a disadvantage compared to solid semi-targets Durham, Bristol, KCL, Manchester, Nottingham, Bath and Cass

Yes, you're right, but unless they want to get into IB it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't put Bayes in the same bracket as the semis, probably in the same group as York and co., no?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending