The Student Room Group

Are we expecting medicine 2022 to be even more competitive than last year?

Saw an article this morning about how this years a-level results are expected to be the highest in history, even higher than last year. Which means more people meeting offers and deferring, more people making the top grades and reapplying next year.

Like my school typically has anywhere from 5-10 people get offers for med and dentistry, last year there were 0
When will this nightmare end
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by will queens
Saw an article this morning about how this years a-level results are expected to be the highest in history, even higher than last year. Which means more people meeting offers and deferring, more people making the top grades and reapplying next year.

Like my school typically has anywhere from 5-10 people get offers for med and dentistry, last year there were 0

I believe there will be less places for 2022 entry because a lot of people will get their grades this year and some will be forced to defer to the next year hence even less spaces.
I'm by no means an expert on medicine, but I don't see how things won't be competitive next year unfortunately. Ultimately, any course which relies on placements will have an unofficial cap on places. And there will be applicants who are deferred this year, or reapplying due to getting better than predicted grades this summer. There will also be the issue of autumn resits and deferred places like last year.

We also know that exams won't be in their normal format next summer, which may make unis cautious about preferring people leaving school in 2022 to those who left in 2021.

And, as far as I'm aware, there won't be any more new places available next year?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I'm by no means an expert on medicine, but I don't see how things won't be competitive next year unfortunately. Ultimately, any course which relies on placements will have an unofficial cap on places. And there will be applicants who are deferred this year, or reapplying due to getting better than predicted grades this summer. There will also be the issue of autumn resits and deferred places like last year.

We also know that exams won't be in their normal format next summer, which may make unis cautious about preferring people leaving school in 2022 to those who left in 2021.

And, as far as I'm aware, there won't be any more new places available next year?

It really is **** isn’t it.

I wonder if there’s any residual 2020 applicants who just keep getting rejected due to greater competition each year.
It really is **** isn’t it.

I wonder if there’s any residual 2020 applicants who just keep getting rejected due to greater competition each year.

I mean, that was only two years ago- I don't think it's abnormal to give it a shot for two applications cycles. I think by that point, though, unfortunately you sort of have to accept you aren't getting in, and maybe go for an allied profession or a grad entry route?

If it helps, I know a few people who have very rewarding careers in other HCP roles.
Reply 5
What kind of stats do you guys think we need to be competitive this year? I got 700 and band 1 in the UCAT, 3 A*s predicted and an A* predicted in EPQ. I also achieved 5 9s, 3 8s, 1 7 and a B at GCSE. Do you think I stand a chance?
Original post by HK1308
What kind of stats do you guys think we need to be competitive this year? I got 700 and band 1 in the UCAT, 3 A*s predicted and an A* predicted in EPQ. I also achieved 5 9s, 3 8s, 1 7 and a B at GCSE. Do you think I stand a chance?

It depends. Everyone has been getting amazing UCAT scores and have good predicted and GCSE's. I have no clue how their gonna separate everyone
Original post by future_11
It depends. Everyone has been getting amazing UCAT scores and have good predicted and GCSE's. I have no clue how their gonna separate everyone

PS, references, and interview. It's sort of why these things exist.
Reply 8

So do you think a score like mine would be enough to get an interview?
Original post by HK1308

I've got no idea, but I expect it will depend on the uni.

However, you won't know unless you apply.

I can't see it ending for another couple of years - it's clear that this will spill over into 2022 entry with deferrals and people reapplying, then probably into 2023 again (especially if exams are cancelled)

I'd have to give it 2+ years after exams start happening again, being pessimistic.
More applications? yes
More competitive? no whey, it has always been competitive :cute:
There is a sole reason why med has interviews+ ucat/bmat, remember getting the grades is only 1 of these criteria. You need to realise no matter how strong your a levels are, with a weak ucat//bmat you're screwed. With a weak personal statement you're screwed. With a weak interview performance you're screwed.

It's like a hurdle race, just more people have crossed the first one this time so it's best to focus on yourself, apply strategically and don't get scared about the participants:h:
Reply 12
There are some inaccurate statements on here!

Original post by HK1308

Yes, you definitely do, but have to be more strategic than you would have had to be in 2019. Don't apply to the highest UCAT med schools (Bristol, Newcastle, Edinburgh, probably also Glasgow and St Andrews). The band 1 really helps post interview at Nottingham, Lincoln and HYMS, but scores depend on which subjects your 7 and B are.

Not really, TSR is not representative, check the stats when they are published. A lot of the people with inflated grades from 2020 and 2021 will not do well at UCAT if their schools were too generous!

Most medical schools no longer use PS and reference, exceptions are UCL which allegedly use it quite heavily and Aberdeen, Birmingham, Cardiff, Imperial, King's, Lancaster, QUB, St Andrews, UEA want to see evidence of commitment to medicine, but it is a binary yes/no, not scored. Interviews will be more important than ever.

Edit - meant to say that Keele have their R&R form and Manchester allocates some interviews through the holistic route.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TCL

Most medical schools no longer use PS and reference, exceptions are UCL which allegedly use it quite heavily and Aberdeen, Birmingham, Cardiff, Imperial, King's, Lancaster, QUB, St Andrews, UEA want to see evidence of commitment to medicine, but it is a binary yes/no, not scored. Interviews will be more important than ever.

Edit - meant to say that Keele have their R&R form and Manchester allocates some interviews through the holistic route.

If there are huge numbers of applicants next year, and less spaces, then other factors of the application will HAVE to become more important again. (Bear in mind as well, that 2020 GCSEs are not going to be super reliable).

Obviously interviews will be hugely important.
Original post by HK1308

There's absolutely no reason why you can't. Check out the UCAT thresholds for 2021 entry, and avoid any med schools that had a higher, or very close, requirement. Your grades are fine for most, but make sure your medical work experience, personal statement, and interview prep is on point. Regardless of weighting, EVERYTHING will matter.
Reply 15
Original post by TCL
There are some inaccurate statements on here!

Yes, you definitely do, but have to be more strategic than you would have had to be in 2019. Don't apply to the highest UCAT med schools (Bristol, Newcastle, Edinburgh, probably also Glasgow and St Andrews). The band 1 really helps post interview at Nottingham, Lincoln and HYMS, but scores depend on which subjects your 7 and B are.

Not really, TSR is not representative, check the stats when they are published. A lot of the people with inflated grades from 2020 and 2021 will not do well at UCAT if their schools were too generous!

What is the holistic route for Manchester? Like what does the holistic route mean?
Reply 16
If there are huge numbers of applicants next year, and less spaces, then other factors of the application will HAVE to become more important again. (Bear in mind as well, that 2020 GCSEs are not going to be super reliable).

Obviously interviews will be hugely important.

The medical schools council have made it clear that PS is not a good measure because of variations in support provided. The ones with transparent shortlisting will not be using it, eg Sheffield and Newcastle.
Reply 17
Original post by HK1308
What is the holistic route for Manchester? Like what does the holistic route mean?

People with weaker UCAT or band 3 who have other strengths in application
Original post by TCL
The medical schools council have made it clear that PS is not a good measure because of variations in support provided. The ones with transparent shortlisting will not be using it, eg Sheffield and Newcastle.

That's fair enough, but it was just a general statement, so I think it's unfair to say it's inaccurate.

And GCSEs for people sitting A-levels next year are likely to be very unreliable, which may affect shortlisting for a lot of unis.
But I think even that will be unfair, because of the very different ways schools decided on grades last year.

Although med schools may not be aware of that.

Latest