The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxford Mum
Here is the link to the computer science chapter of Oxford Demystified

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6455188&p=88246090#post88246090

Not to down play your results, they are amazing, but I recommend you apply to Cambridge instead, because Oxford for interviews rank you based on your GCSE's and entrance test. Whereas, Cambridge take a far more holistic approach and interview far more applicants, with oxford if you get an interview you more or less are going to get an offer.
I'm looking to apply to Oxford for the Maths/Maths + Comp Science degree. Predicted 3 A*s and doing maths, f.maths and econ. Started doing the MAT past papers in the summer, and I've been getting around 50 marks. When I look back at my answers, it's always things that I could've thought of, but I never do when doing them. Also havent worked on timing yet? Any advice, pretty worried imma fail massively lmao
Does anyone have advice about the best way to prep for the TSA? Thanks!
Original post by azby1098
just thought i’d say as someone applying in a gap year, i got my A-Level results today!

i got A*A*AA, (including epq) meaning I can definitely apply to oxford (or cambridge) again next year :biggrin: x

Jolly well done! I remember you well from the interview thread! Hopefully things will go differently next time. You were a standout person on the thread and I was surprised you got turned down.
@azby1098
This has made my day... fantastic results and I will keep cheering you on
Original post by Oxford Mum
@azby1098
This has made my day... fantastic results and I will keep cheering you on

Ahhh thank you so much - It truly made my day too haha!!

Original post by Scotney
Jolly well done! I remember you well from the interview thread! Hopefully things will go differently next time. You were a standout person on the thread and I was surprised you got turned down.

Ahh Scotney, thank you so much! Let’s hope so, fingers crossed.
Original post by azby1098
just thought i’d say as someone applying in a gap year, i got my A-Level results today!

i got A*A*AA, (including epq) meaning I can definitely apply to oxford (or cambridge) again next year :biggrin: x

ahh I'm taking a gap year aswell!
Original post by MelonCrazy
I'm looking to apply to Oxford for the Maths/Maths + Comp Science degree. Predicted 3 A*s and doing maths, f.maths and econ. Started doing the MAT past papers in the summer, and I've been getting around 50 marks. When I look back at my answers, it's always things that I could've thought of, but I never do when doing them. Also havent worked on timing yet? Any advice, pretty worried imma fail massively lmao

thought that said f maths as in f*ck maths I was about to say yeah!

lmfao ik you probs meant it as further maths x
Subject applying for - Law

College applying to - Somerville

A Levels/ equiv - Scottish Highers - this year I did English, Maths, Philosophy, Geography, Administration & IT and next year I'm doing Advanced Higher English, Advanced Higher Geography and Higher Modern Studies

Predicted/ Achieved grades - AAABC for this years Highers, no predicted grades for next year

Achieved GCSE/ equiv - Scottish National 5's - AAAAA

Why Oxford? - Obviously it's a good university, a lot of my family that I left behind live in the area, it seems like it fits my way of learning

Why that college? (if you know why) - Seems like a really nice, modern and friendly place, I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it on the Oxford website

State/Private/Grammar/Home - State
Original post by MelonCrazy

I'm thinking of applying for the same thing as you with similar grades. I'm also struggling with MAT prep at the minute because I find it quite overwhelming and sometimes I look at a question and I'm like what is going on here lol.
It also doesn't help that my brain is full of the average score of people who get interviews and offers which pops up every time I try and do a question.
Timings wise I've been trying to make sure I can be as efficient as possible so I'm trying to stick to time even if I only do 2 or 3 questions. The multiple choice are 10 mins each and the long ones are 37.5 minutes.
I'm not sure if any of this is helpful or reassuring though lmao.
Hi, I was wondering if only taking 3 A levels (predicted 3 A*s, no EPQ) would lower the chances of getting an offer for studying Medicine at Oxford? I've read a lot of people's introductions here and most are taking 4 A levels or an EPQ.
Original post by some.student123
Hi, I was wondering if only taking 3 A levels (predicted 3 A*s, no EPQ) would lower the chances of getting an offer for studying Medicine at Oxford? I've read a lot of people's introductions here and most are taking 4 A levels or an EPQ.

There is almost never a preference for 4 a levels instead of 3, potentially with exception of cambridge Natsci or something like that - the fact you see so many with 4 is probably just self selection.
An epq can be a great way to show your self motivation and drive and so it can positively impact your application, but it is not necessary and you can get the same benefit in other ways - like I chose to spend extra time from not taking an EPQ on essay comps and reading. Short answer, in itself not doing these extras shouldn’t really negatively impact your application if you keep up demonstrating the important things for your application.
For PPE and other courses in general, are GCSEs taken into account more in Oxford than in Cambridge or is this a myth?
Original post by any_student_134
For PPE and other courses in general, are GCSEs taken into account more in Oxford than in Cambridge or is this a myth?

PPE and medicine. To the best of my knowledge no, it is not a myth - they are used especially for shortlisting.
Original post by any_student_134

GCSEs are taken into account for every subject at Oxford more than Cambridge, however this still doesn't mean you need straight 8s and 9s for many subjects (not including PPE and Medicine) - I got in for French with 8887766655, so don't be disheartened :smile:
Original post by aminak639
Subject applying for - Law

College applying to - Somerville

A Levels/ equiv - Scottish Highers - this year I did English, Maths, Philosophy, Geography, Administration & IT and next year I'm doing Advanced Higher English, Advanced Higher Geography and Higher Modern Studies

Predicted/ Achieved grades - AAABC for this years Highers, no predicted grades for next year

Achieved GCSE/ equiv - Scottish National 5's - AAAAA

Why Oxford? - Obviously it's a good university, a lot of my family that I left behind live in the area, it seems like it fits my way of learning

Why that college? (if you know why) - Seems like a really nice, modern and friendly place, I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it on the Oxford website

State/Private/Grammar/Home - State

Good luck!! Somerville is an amazing college!!
Original post by DeBeauvoir2
There is almost never a preference for 4 a levels instead of 3, potentially with exception of cambridge Natsci or something like that - the fact you see so many with 4 is probably just self selection.
An epq can be a great way to show your self motivation and drive and so it can positively impact your application, but it is not necessary and you can get the same benefit in other ways - like I chose to spend extra time from not taking an EPQ on essay comps and reading. Short answer, in itself not doing these extras shouldn’t really negatively impact your application if you keep up demonstrating the important things for your application.

Thank you for replying! I know this is unlikely, but say that there were two equally strong candidates in terms of their GCSEs, BMAT scores, personal statement, interview performance and predicted grades. Would Oxford ultimately choose the candidate who does 4 A levels, or would they never base their decision on the number of A levels?
Original post by some.student123
Thank you for replying! I know this is unlikely, but say that there were two equally strong candidates in terms of their GCSEs, BMAT scores, personal statement, interview performance and predicted grades. Would Oxford ultimately choose the candidate who does 4 A levels, or would they never base their decision on the number of A levels?

They would never base it off of the number of A levels since they require only 3, so it would effect neither applicant
Original post by lamiya1
They would never base it off of the number of A levels since they require only 3, so it would effect neither applicant

Also to add to this it would be unfair for them to do this as some schools only allow their students to do three A levels
Original post by lamiya1

Original post by Culver
Also to add to this it would be unfair for them to do this as some schools only allow their students to do three A levels

Thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending