The Student Room Group

Resit all 3 A levels or just one A level

Hi there!

I am one grade short of the grade requirement of the course I am applying to next year. Can I just retake that subject (biology) instead of retaking all 3 subjects (biology, history and chemistry) even though I am already fine with those grades.

Furthermore, if it turns out I have to completely retake all of them, can I pick the highest grades from both to make up my grades?

(e.g. if in my first exams I had A in chemistry, A in History but B in biology and when I retake I get B in Chemistry, B in history but A in Biology. Can I take the best grades so I have AAA)

Thanks for the help!
Hi, I am also considering resitting one of my A-levels in October as I am also one grade off. To answer your question you don't need to resit all three you can just resit the one you are unhappy with. In terms of grades last year they selected the higher grade, however when I asked about this with my school they said they are not sure yet. However, I assume it will be the same as last year. Hope this helps :smile:
you can choose which subjects to retake you dont have to retake all of them. as for choosing the ‘best grades’ you have to declare all of your grades so they would see your past and most recent grades
Original post by madisondennison
Hi, I am also considering resitting one of my A-levels in October as I am also one grade off. To answer your question you don't need to resit all three you can just resit the one you are unhappy with. In terms of grades last year they selected the higher grade, however when I asked about this with my school they said they are not sure yet. However, I assume it will be the same as last year. Hope this helps :smile:

I don’t think there are resits for October exams this year, my school said the exam boards aren’t doing it
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mathstarget10
I don’t think there are resits for October exams this year, my school said the exam boards aren’t doing it

Hey maby ask your school again as my school said resits are happening this year although they are waiting for exact dates which they are assuming will be around October time as it was last year
Hey maby ask your school again as my school said resits are happening this year although they are waiting for exact dates which they are assuming will be around October time as it was last year

Maybe they aren’t confirming dates for this year, my school are certain there are no exams for October/November the only exams for resits will be next year in Summer.
(edited 2 years ago)
Maybe they aren’t confirming dates for this year, my school are certain there are no exams for October/November the only exams for resits will be next year in Summer.

Hey if you look at your exam boards website, for instance OCR they have confirmed that you will be able to resit exams this year in the autumn
Hey if you look at your exam boards website, for instance OCR they have confirmed that you will be able to resit exams this year in the autumn

You’re right thank you, my school is completely wrong and so unreliable .
Reply 8
You’re right thank you, my school is completely wrong and so unreliable .

scaring me for a little bit there as well haha, good luck!
To answer your question:

No, you can't mix and match the best grades from the two sittings. They'll consider the most up to date grade (i.e. the resits, and only the originals if you didn't resit that subject).

Whether it is acceptable to resit just one versus all depends on what uni and course you are applying to. Quite a few medical schools for example, seem to require you resit all 3 subjects in one. However some accept just individual resits, and some that would normally require you to resit all will consider individual resits if done in the autumn resit period being offered due to covid.

So you really need to look into the specific requirements of the uni(s) and course(s) you are planning to apply to.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger
To answer your question:

No, you can't mix and match the best grades from the two sittings. They'll consider the most up to date grade (i.e. the resits, and only the originals if you didn't resit that subject).

Whether it is acceptable to resit just one versus all depends on what uni and course you are applying to. Quite a few medical schools for example, seem to require you resit all 3 subjects in one. However some accept just individual resits, and some that would normally require you to resit all will consider individual resits if done in the autumn resit period being offered due to covid.

So you really need to look into the specific requirements of the uni(s) and course(s) you are planning to apply to.

Thanks for this! I did look into it and I'm currently doing Autumn exams for biology as an individual exam which unis luckily accepted

Quick Reply

Latest