The Student Room Group

Post your GCSE results!

GCSE Results Day (12th August 2021) - Post Your Results!

GCSE results day is coming around so it's time for our yearly Post Your Results thread. You can use this thread to let us know how you get on and celebrate your accomplishments!

Didn't do as well as you hoped? There's no need to worry - there are always alternatives. Get advice from the community here.

This year, like last year, is unusual in that no formal exams were sat, so there are no "remarks" per se. The FAQ on appeals and resits can be found here.

Good luck and we hope everyone ends up on a path they're happy with!

You can use this template to post your results:

Subject [Exam Board]: Predicted ? / Personal Target ? / Achieved ?

What are your future plans?

A-levels? BTECs? Apprenticeship?

What grades do you need (if applicable)?

Comments/Reflection

How do you feel about your results? What advice would you give to someone in Year 10 or just starting GCSEs?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

My daughter got
Classical Civilisation 9
Maths 6
Biology 6
History 6

She's taken them a year early, and for the Class Civ she entirely self-studied from textbook, so I'm a very proud mam today.
Mathematics [IGCSE Edexcel]: 9 (I did this early in January so I got to sit an actual paper!!)
English Language [AQA]: 9
History [AQA]: 9
Science [AQA Double Award]: 9-9
French [AQA]: 8
Computer Science [OCR]: 8
Religious Education [Eduqas WJEC]: 7

I've also got an OCR FSMQ qualification from last year (because I did it a year early) and I got a B under the teacher predicted results.

I'm so happy with these results - my mum expected a few more 9s and didn't like the 7, but she's so uber-strict and has unreachable expectations (I'm going to ignore her).

I plan to study Maths and Further Maths, English Language and Computer Science at A-Level (I know 4 is hard but I'm going to try my best).

My ultimate plan is to study Mathematics and Computer Science at Oxford!!

How did everyone else do??
Reply 3
I got:

Maths: 9
Statistics: 9
English Language: 8
English Lit: 8
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 9
Physics: 9
Geography: 9
French: 9
Art: 6
Dance: 6
Citizenship: 9

Going to stay on at my school's sixth form to do a levels in maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I'm over the moon with my results, it's been a really tough couple of years but I'm so glad I worked hard in lockdown and kept on top of everything. Congratulations to everyone else who's received results this week and good luck for the future!
My turn 😁
AQA English Language: 9Spoken Language Component: D
AQA English Literature: 9
AQA Religious Studies: 9
AQA Certificate Level 2 Further Maths: 9
AQA Chemistry Tier H: 9
AQA Biology Tier H: 9
CIE IGCSE Computer Science: 9
CIE IGCSE Economics: 9
CIE IGCSE Physics: 9
Edexcel IGCSE Mathematics: 9
Edexcel IGCSE French: 9
Spoken Language Component: D

Our school requires at least 50 points from your top 6 GCSE grades added up (so minimum 2 9s and rest 8s)

I wish to pursue Medicine in the future, so I’ll be taking A-levels at the sixth form at my current school. I chose Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Economics (I’ll drop this after AS).Imo, I think I did as well as I thought I would (except Further Maths, I was terrified for that one!).

For future year 11s, my advice would be to ensure you understand your concepts, memorise what you need to and apply said knowledge and memorised info in the form of practice! Also, learn what examiners are looking for through mark schemes so that you know how much ground to cover when you encounter larger questions. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Computer Science - 8

History - 9

Geography - 9

English Language - 9

English Lit - 9

Maths - 8

Chemistry - 8

Physics - 8

Biology - 8

English Speaking - Distinction

Now debating as to whether to follow an English focused A level course (my favourite subject, but unlikely to lead to that many employment opportunities), or a Computer Science one (decent enough at it, don't really enjoy maths terribly, would give huge job potential)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by nobodytoldme
Computer Science - 8

History - 9

Geography - 9

English Language - 9

English Lit - 9

Maths - 8

Chemistry - 8

Physics - 8

Biology - 8

English Speaking - Distinction

Now debating as to whether to follow an English focused A level course (my favourite subject, but unlikely to lead to that many employment opportunities), or a Computer Science one (decent enough at it, don't really enjoy maths terribly, would give huge job potential)

These are amazing grades, you should be very proud of yourself!

When do you have to make a decision about your a levels?
Maths 9
Bio 9
Chem 9
Physics 9
Econ 9
History 9
Spanish 9
German 8
Eng Lit 8
Eng lang 8

My thoughts? Completely undeserved, and I know many who have exceptionally high grades will not admit this themselves, but I don't really blame them for that. I was aiming for the grade 6 and 7 range for all these subjects (because my school didnt teach much, and i was self teaching myself for the past 2 years) and it seems the teachers bumped it up by 2-3 grades. Im not necessarily complaining but its worrying that some students in my school (and many others) are clouded by the fact they are "geniuses" due to getting such high grades, and may pursue goals (such as A level grades) that are realistically unreasonable.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Hazelly
These are amazing grades, you should be very proud of yourself!

When do you have to make a decision about your a levels?

First of all, thank you! And secondly - I've enrolled with my subjects today (going with the maths route), but I probably should be able to change them as long as I do it quickly, ie. tomorrow.
maths- 8
biology-8
chemistry-8
physics-8
english lang-7
english lit-6
latin-9
food preparation and nutrtion-9
ICT-A

im not rly sure what to think abt my results, my parents werent too happy with the english, said i couldve done better but i know for a fact that i could not have but i guess im realieved that its not so bad. im not unhappy, but im not exstatic either. i think its cos it was quite underwhelming. but they are good grades :dontknow: i dunno!

i wanna go on to a levels and end up either doing business or medicine at uni

i hope everyones happy with their grades and if you are not just remeber that grades and everything and they dont reflect your true capability (even though society and many parents heavily suggest otherwise)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by _ryan_27
My turn 😁
AQA English Language: 9Spoken Language Component: D
AQA English Literature: 9
AQA Religious Studies: 9
AQA Certificate Level 2 Further Maths: 9
AQA Chemistry Tier H: 9
AQA Biology Tier H: 9
CIE IGCSE Computer Science: 9
CIE IGCSE Economics: 9
CIE IGCSE Physics: 9
Edexcel IGCSE Mathematics: 9
Edexcel IGCSE French: 9
Spoken Language Component: D

Our school requires at least 50 points from your top 6 GCSE grades added up (so minimum 2 9s and rest 8s)

I wish to pursue Medicine in the future, so I’ll be taking A-levels at the sixth form at my current school. I chose Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Economics (I’ll drop this after AS).Imo, I think I did as well as I thought I would (except Further Maths, I was terrified for that one!).

For future year 11s, my advice would be to ensure you understand your concepts, memorise what you need to and apply said knowledge and memorised info in the form of practice! Also, learn what examiners are looking for through mark schemes so that you know how much ground to cover when you encounter larger questions. :smile:

Can I ask how you revised for both your english exams.
I'm in year 10 and most worried about those so some tips would be great!
Reply 11
English Lit -9English language -9Biology - 9Physics-9Chemistry -8Classical Civilisation -9Food Science and Nutrition - 9French - 8History - 9Maths - 8Well done all - it’s over! 😁
I got
Biology - 7
Physics - 7
Chemistry - 6
RE - 7
Maths - 5
Eng language and literature both - 7
Geography - 7
sociology - 7
textiles - 6

I honestly don't know how to feel about these :frown:, everyone is getting 8s and 9s (but I'm happy for you guys, well done)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by GTT21
Hi I'm realitively happy with my grades, my school decide to show the work that was used in evidence and its grades used to calculate these grades. Some grades were lower than expected but still fine.
Biology 8
Religous education 8
Chemistry 7
Maths 7
Geography 7
English language 7
English literature 7
Computing 7
Physics 6
French 5
I'm grateful that I'm able to apply to sixth form. I hope for all the best for you guys.

Hi again GTT!

I'm the same person you helped with on tips for revision and things to do in this summer etc on another post. Congrats btw! Your results were fantastic! You've bagged solid high grades on your core subjects along with your optional subjects. I will definitely take your advice on how you went about with revision and thanks for the support. Making the flashcards atm and they're helping out a lot.

(P.S.) - I got my grade for GCSE English Lit (doing only lit in year 10) and unfortunately got a 5. The reason a lot of people tell me why I got so low is because they say I overworked during exam period yet I felt fine. I did go to sleep at around 3 in the morning prior to exams and just got along using coffies so I wasn't so tired. I'm really worried about a 5 since English Lit is a core subject too. The main reason I think was that made me get a low grade is because I didn't finish the full essay in 2/3 exams. I think I might've been marked down for no structure. My ideas were brilliant, it was just my structure. It is what it is now but do you recommend that I go for a re-mark or keep the 5?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lin Beifong
I got
Biology - 7
Physics - 7
Chemistry - 6
RE - 7
Maths - 5
Eng language and literature both - 7
Geography - 7
sociology - 7
textiles - 6

I honestly don't know how to feel about these :frown:, everyone is getting 8s and 9s (but I'm happy for you guys, well done)

Honestly, I think all of those are fantastic grades. Don't be too worried about your maths grade though: Physics is basically all maths. If you got an A in physics your definitely great in Maths but just might've been unfortunate to not do well in the exam. Could be some other reason rather than knowledge seeming you got an A in physics which is fantastic. Physics is very difficult and that A confirms that you were capable of achieving a 7 or 8 in maths too so I'd say don't be too worried and fantastic results!!
Maths 9
Geography 9
Sociology 9
RS Full 8
Spanish 8/Distinction
English Lit 8
English Lang 8/Distinction
Biology 8
Chemistry 8
Physics 8

I'm so happy over these results couldn't have asked for better, I plan on doing 4 a level's next year: Bio, Chem, Psychology and Medical Science and hopefully get into Oxford or Cambridge for Uni.

For advice, id say always look at the online marking schemes and see what the standard is!
Original post by WhoIsIqra
Maths 9
Geography 9
Sociology 9
RS Full 8
Spanish 8/Distinction
English Lit 8
English Lang 8/Distinction
Biology 8
Chemistry 8
Physics 8

I'm so happy over these results couldn't have asked for better, I plan on doing 4 a level's next year: Bio, Chem, Psychology and Medical Science and hopefully get into Oxford or Cambridge for Uni.

For advice, id say always look at the online marking schemes and see what the standard is!

I unfortunately got a 5 in GCSE English Lit do you think I should go ahead for a remark or keep it as 5. I'm scared my oppurtunites will be narrowed later... I'm still in year 10 btw: we do english lit gcse in year 10.
Original post by AK_017157
I unfortunately got a 5 in GCSE English Lit do you think I should go ahead for a remark or keep it as 5. I'm scared my oppurtunites will be narrowed later... I'm still in year 10 btw: we do english lit gcse in year 10.

by all means, DEFINITELY get a remark, only if you know you deserve more, trust me the process is long but it will be worth it. it will open a lot of doors in the future
Original post by georgethefifth
Maths 9
Bio 9
Chem 9
Physics 9
Econ 9
History 9
Spanish 9
German 8
Eng Lit 8
Eng lang 8

My thoughts? Completely undeserved, and I know many who have exceptionally high grades will not admit this themselves, but I don't really blame them for that. I was aiming for the grade 6 and 7 range for all these subjects (because my school didnt teach much, and i was self teaching myself for the past 2 years) and it seems the teachers bumped it up by 2-3 grades. Im not necessarily complaining but its worrying that some students in my school (and many others) are clouded by the fact they are "geniuses" due to getting such high grades, and may pursue goals (such as A level grades) that are realistically unreasonable.

I completely agree, I thought I would get all 7 but ended up getting 9 and 8, I was so shocked, I feel like these grades are well deserved ( I did so much lockdown work) but will make everyone have such unrealistic standards which will set them up for failure. Don't get me wrong, we have been through hell for the past couple of years but that's my opinion
Reply 19
Original post by iamdarkchocolate
maths- 8
biology-8
chemistry-8
physics-8
english lang-7
english lit-6
latin-9
food preparation and nutrtion-9
ICT-A

im not rly sure what to think abt my results, my parents werent too happy with the english, said i couldve done better but i know for a fact that i could not have but i guess im realieved that its not so bad. im not unhappy, but im not exstatic either. i think its cos it was quite underwhelming. but they are good grades :dontknow: i dunno!

i wanna go on to a levels and end up either doing business or medicine at uni

i hope everyones happy with their grades and if you are not just remeber that grades and everything and they dont reflect your true capability (even though society and many parents heavily suggest otherwise)

Your grades are amazing!! You should be so proud... Your grades deffo put mine to shame...Congratulations! :smile:

Latest