The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AK_017157
Hi again GTT!

I'm the same person you helped with on tips for revision and things to do in this summer etc on another post. Congrats btw! Your results were fantastic! You've bagged solid high grades on your core subjects along with your optional subjects. I will definitely take your advice on how you went about with revision and thanks for the support. Making the flashcards atm and they're helping out a lot.

(P.S.) - I got my grade for GCSE English Lit (doing only lit in year 10) and unfortunately got a 5. The reason a lot of people tell me why I got so low is because they say I overworked during exam period yet I felt fine. I did go to sleep at around 3 in the morning prior to exams and just got along using coffies so I wasn't so tired. I'm really worried about a 5 since English Lit is a core subject too. The main reason I think was that made me get a low grade is because I didn't finish the full essay in 2/3 exams. I think I might've been marked down for no structure. My ideas were brilliant, it was just my structure. It is what it is now but do you recommend that I go for a re-mark or keep the 5?

Hi again! I recognise your username.
Thank you so much!
Structure is quite important in literature and can give you extra marks; however, maximum grade without structure is maybe a 6. Honestly I think a 5 in English literature is great and if you aren't studying English Lit for a levels then don't worry, as that grade isn't important at all but, your English language grade is very important. Remember English Lit isn't important at all and no sixth form or uni requires an English Lit grade for entry. Go for the re-mark though your grade might not increase but your mark may do. You need to get a bit more sleep, minimum 6 hours to keep your brain awake. For Biology I didn't make flashcards but bought cgp flashcards on amazon and they helped so much. Remember type up physicsmathstutor and each subject has free flashcard, then go on biology revision you'll see it. Good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by _ryan_27
My turn 😁
AQA English Language: 9Spoken Language Component: D
AQA English Literature: 9
AQA Religious Studies: 9
AQA Certificate Level 2 Further Maths: 9
AQA Chemistry Tier H: 9
AQA Biology Tier H: 9
CIE IGCSE Computer Science: 9
CIE IGCSE Economics: 9
CIE IGCSE Physics: 9
Edexcel IGCSE Mathematics: 9
Edexcel IGCSE French: 9
Spoken Language Component: D

Our school requires at least 50 points from your top 6 GCSE grades added up (so minimum 2 9s and rest 8s)

I wish to pursue Medicine in the future, so I’ll be taking A-levels at the sixth form at my current school. I chose Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Economics (I’ll drop this after AS).Imo, I think I did as well as I thought I would (except Further Maths, I was terrified for that one!).

For future year 11s, my advice would be to ensure you understand your concepts, memorise what you need to and apply said knowledge and memorised info in the form of practice! Also, learn what examiners are looking for through mark schemes so that you know how much ground to cover when you encounter larger questions. :smile:

Your grades are amazing...you should be so proud...if those were my grades I would be over the moon...congratuilations!!!! :smile: :smile:
Grades:

Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
Physics - 8
Maths - 7
English Literature - 9 > got a Distinction in speaking.
English Language - 9 ^
French - 8 (got 9s in all 6 of my mocks and a Distinction in speaking though...)
Geography - 8
Computer Science - 9

My plans for the future:

I plan to take French, Geography and Computer Science at A-level in the hopes to become a French Teacher in a secondary school in future.:smile:

My course requirements/did I reach them?:

I only needed 5s in my core subjects and 6s in my option subjects to get into the courses I wanted and I managed to excel so I'm super happy for myself!

How I feel:

I'm so happy I managed to achieve these grades and I feel so blessed to have had some great teachers who have supported me every step of the way for the past 5 years, even throughout online learning and COVID.

Some advice for Year 10s going into Year 11 in September would be:

- When you turn 16, get the vaccine. Yes, not the advice you probably expected, but it will seriously help you if COVID spikes again. A lot of students in my year had to isolate for a long time over the past academic year. One of my friends even had to isolate for about 2 months in a row! And that's WITHOUT the Jan-March spike! To be fair to us, we didn't have the vaccine available to us just yet but I just wanted to use that as an example as to why it would be beneficial to get vaccinated against COVID.

- Don't panic. I know it seems hard - but seriously, don't. You will find that panicking just brings you down. You need to stride into your school in September with the most confidence you can in order to have the best possible chances at getting the highest grades you possibly can. Positivity matters this year alongside revision, remember. And FYI, this is why my maths grade is a tiny bit lower than my others. I panicked all year. (I hate maths XD)

- Don't revise TOO hard. yes, by all means revise. However you need a social life too! Your friends will support you throughout the year but they wont be able to if you lose them! Don't let school take over your life. You're only in Year 11 once, make the most of it!

- If you end up having to isolate (lets hope not though!), DO NOT PANIC. My friend that I mentioned in the first point? He was off for about 5 months yet still managed to achieve 2 7s, about 6 8s and 3 9s! You can still do it! However... that brings me to another point on this topic though: if you are isolating, DO NOT STOP WORKING. It will be your downfall. Trust me, I've seen it backfire on students who (stupidly) did this JUST today (results day).

- If online learning resumes this year, and if you have an iPad, 'Notability' is your best friend. It allows you to type normally but also has a mark-up feature that (works really well with an apple pen if you own one) and allows for you to annotate things like poems in English. It was an absolute GODSEND for me. Without it, I don't think I'd have gotten my 9s in my English subjects. It comes at a price, but it's a small price to pay for good grades.

If anybody would like anymore tips, feel free to message me on Instagram, @ annabrownbridge :smile:
Hi Guys!
I got:
English lit - 9
English language - 9
Maths - 9
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 9
Physics - 9
R.S - 9
History - 9
Chinese - 9
French - 9
furthur maths - 8
Libf finance Gcse Qualification - A*
I was really happy with these because I thought I failed f.maths and did worse in english.
Congrats to everyone for getting through with this really tough year!!
Reply 24
(all of my exams were igcses bc I'm not based in the UK. we sat proper CIE exams that were marked externally, but the edexcel grades were teacher-assessed and calculated as an average of in-school tests and end-of-year exams)

CIE:
First Language English - A* (teacher assessed grade in May 2020, we 'sat' it a year early)
World Literature - A*
Global Perspectives - A*
Foreign Language Mandarin Chinese - A*
Foreign Language Spanish - A*

Pearson Edexcel:
Maths - 9 (properly sat this in January 2021 w/ a raw mark of 195/200 😁)
Further Pure Maths - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
History - 9

Really really pleased with myself especially as I studied Spanish outside of school with a tutor and thus took 1-2 more igcses than my peers. I'll be doing IB - HLs are Bio, chem and psych, SLs: Eng Langlit, MathAA, Chinese B. Hoping to get a 43 on IB because that's the requirements for Cambridge psych, which is my dream course ^∀^

ADVICE FOR PEOPLE DOING FURTHER PURE MATHEMATICS: START DOING PAST PAPERS BY JANUARY OR FEBRUARY, SO BY JUNE YOU'LL FIND THEM EASY. I WENT FROM A 69% TO A 100% ON MY PAST PAPERS. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!

Congratulations to everybody for surviving gcses!!
(edited 2 years ago)
maths - 8
science - 6-6
eng lang - 7
eng lit - 7
RE - 8
History - 9
CS - 8
Econ - 7

it seems everyone else got better than me :frown:
maths -9 /A*
chem - 8 /A*
phy -8 /A*
bio -8 /A*
lit -A
Lang - A*
Bus - A
Geo -A
ICT - B

little disappointed in ICT but honestly I thought I would do worse so Im happy
Original post by annabrownbridge
My plans for the future:

I plan to take French, Geography and Computer Science at A-level in the hopes to become a French Teacher in a secondary school in future.:smile:

Hi, I might consider becoming a maths teacher at some point in the future so i wondered how you're thinking about doing that? Are you going to study education at Uni or are you just going to do a PGCE?

(Also my name is Raj Amin and i just requested you on insta :tongue:)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _gcx

GCSE Results Day (12th August 2021) - Post Your Results!

GCSE results day is coming around so it's time for our yearly Post Your Results thread. You can use this thread to let us know how you get on and celebrate your accomplishments!

Didn't do as well as you hoped? There's no need to worry - there are always alternatives. Get advice from the community here.

This year, like last year, is unusual in that no formal exams were sat, so there are no "remarks" per se. The FAQ on appeals and resits can be found here.

Good luck and we hope everyone ends up on a path they're happy with!

You can use this template to post your results:

Subject [Exam Board]: Predicted ? / Personal Target ? / Achieved ?

What are your future plans?

A-levels? BTECs? Apprenticeship?

What grades do you need (if applicable)?

Comments/Reflection

How do you feel about your results? What advice would you give to someone in Year 10 or just starting GCSEs?

Computing has always been extremely easy for me, so I am going for an IT apprenticeship or becoming a Computer Scientist. I enjoy computing and I have been working with computers for 13 years

Subject [Exam Board]: Computer Science, Predicted 9 / Personal Target 9 / Achieved 9
Subject [Exam Board]: German Predicted ? 5 Personal Target 6 / Achieved 6 + Distinction in Speaking
Subject [Exam Board]: Biology Predicted 6 / Personal Target 8 / Achieved 8
Subject [Exam Board]: Physics Predicted 7 / Personal Target 8 / Achieved 8
Subject [Exam Board]: Chemistry Predicted 7 / Personal Target 8 / Achieved 8
Subject [Exam Board]: History Predicted 8 / Personal Target 9 / Achieved 8
Subject [Exam Board]: DT Predicted 9 / Personal Target 9 / Achieved 8
Subject [Exam Board]: English Language Predicted 6 / Personal Target 8 / Achieved 9
Subject [Exam Board]: English Literature Predicted 8 / Personal Target 8 / Achieved 8 + Distinction in Speaking
Subject [Exam Board]: Maths Predicted 8 / Personal Target 8 / Achieved 7

I smashed all the sets of exams, I achieved 95% in my computing exams, all of the evidence was above 90% (grade 9) so I kinda knew I would get a 9 for it
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 29
I got all 8s and 9s! Planning to study maths, further maths, physics and economics for a levels :smile:
Over the moon with my results:

English Language [AQA]: 9 (Speaking - Distinction)
English Literature [Edexcel]: 9
Maths [Edexcel]: 9
Chemistry [AQA]: 9
Biology [AQA]: 9
Physics [AQA]: 9
RS [AQA]: 9
French [AQA]: 9 (Speaking - Distinction)
Latin [Eduqas]: 9
Geography [Edexcel B]: 9
History [AQA]: 9

I'm going to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths A-Level, French or Psychology at AS (still need help deciding, I started a thread - please offer advice!). I want to study Medicine at university.

Advice? Stay on top of everything, make sure you actually understand the content and do LOADS of past paper questions.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TheOnionMan
Hi, I might consider becoming a maths teacher at some point in the future so i wondered how you're thinking about doing that? Are you going to study education at Uni or are you just going to do a PGCE?

(Also my name is Raj Amin and i just requested you on insta :tongue:)

Hi,

I plan to take French at university and do a PCGE during or afterwards. This would obviously mean that if you decided to go the same way as me, you would take maths at uni. :smile:
English literature: 8
English language: 8
English speaking: Distinction
Maths: 8
RE:8
Citizenship: 9
Combined Science: 5-5

What are your future plans?

I want to do business, economics, history and classic civilisation for a-levels. I want to pursue a degree in business in the future so business and economics is what I need for that. History and classic civilisation are more of a hobby and something Im passionate about so I look forward to that.

Comments/Reflection

I feel like I could have done better if it wasn't for covid because I had been aiming for 8s and 9s when I was in year 10. However because I switched schools and school was closed a lot I fell very behind.

I struggled and pushed through it and honestly because of my situation I wasn't expecting very good however I was surprised so overall Im very happy with my results.

Advice

Never ever underestimate past papers but also look at the mark schemes. I would also advise checking out the examiners report because then you can see mistakes other students made so you don't make those mistakes yourself. Also don't be hesitant to ask your teachers to help because its important that you understand everything and teachers are there to help.

Also a personal lesson is never doubt yourself. You can do it !!!
Reply 33
English Language [Edexcel]: 9
English Literature [Edexcel]: 9
History [Edexcel]: 8
Religious Education [AQA]: 9
Mathematics [AQA] (Higher): 9
Biology [AQA]: 9
Physics [AQA]: 9
Chemistry [AQA]: 9
Design and Tech. [AQA]: 9
Computer Science [AQA]: 9

So thats nine 9s and one eight.
Im honestly disappointed to have gotten an 8 in history - I was aiming for all 9s.
However, I had decided to not resit it, and instead to focus more on my A Level studies.

From here onwards, I'm taking the following A Levels:
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Computer Science
Physics

And im planning on applying for Computer Science (Tripos) at Cambridge
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ham3a_
Can I ask how you revised for both your english exams.
I'm in year 10 and most worried about those so some tips would be great!

Hey, so personally, I was struggling quite a bit with English in Year 10 too! Don’t stress it too much, you still have a long time in order to improve!

For English Language, analysis is obviously the most important skill, and so is academic writing. I practiced a lot during the first lockdown and asked my teacher for feedback and what I was lacking in particular. If you can’t get your teacher to give feedback, as other students to review your work. Also, you can try structuring your answer for each question type such as Paper 1 Q2 and Q3. Structuring your writing is particularly important for Q3.

I found improving my perfomance in Language complimented my Literature performance, since most of it is analysis. Practice and review is also essential for this subject. But most importantly, to stand out in English Literature, extra reading is how you get that extra edge- what I mean by that is, read other people’s interpretations about an aspect of a poem, play or text. Also, go above and beyond what you are taught in class about each seen text/poem by extra reading to strengthen your arguments (e.g. for Ted Hughes’ “Bayonet Charge”, I remembered that Hughes never went to war himself, but his father did, and his father was part of the battle of Gallipoli and he suffered from trauma since)
Reply 35
Original post by _ryan_27
Hey, so personally, I was struggling quite a bit with English in Year 10 too! Don’t stress it too much, you still have a long time in order to improve!

For English Language, analysis is obviously the most important skill, and so is academic writing. I practiced a lot during the first lockdown and asked my teacher for feedback and what I was lacking in particular. If you can’t get your teacher to give feedback, as other students to review your work. Also, you can try structuring your answer for each question type such as Paper 1 Q2 and Q3. Structuring your writing is particularly important for Q3.

I found improving my perfomance in Language complimented my Literature performance, since most of it is analysis. Practice and review is also essential for this subject. But most importantly, to stand out in English Literature, extra reading is how you get that extra edge- what I mean by that is, read other people’s interpretations about an aspect of a poem, play or text. Also, go above and beyond what you are taught in class about each seen text/poem by extra reading to strengthen your arguments (e.g. for Ted Hughes’ “Bayonet Charge”, I remembered that Hughes never went to war himself, but his father did, and his father was part of the battle of Gallipoli and he suffered from trauma since)

Thank you, appreciate it!
Original post by qweasdzxcwersdf
maths - 8
science - 6-6
eng lang - 7
eng lit - 7
RE - 8
History - 9
CS - 8
Econ - 7

it seems everyone else got better than me :frown:

those are good grades bro. congrats
Original post by WhoIsIqra
by all means, DEFINITELY get a remark, only if you know you deserve more, trust me the process is long but it will be worth it. it will open a lot of doors in the future

yeah I definetely feel like I should have got higher but I'm afraid that my grade might go lower if I go through the remark process which would be shocking. What do you recommend I do?
Original post by GTT21
Hi again! I recognise your username.
Thank you so much!
Structure is quite important in literature and can give you extra marks; however, maximum grade without structure is maybe a 6. Honestly I think a 5 in English literature is great and if you aren't studying English Lit for a levels then don't worry, as that grade isn't important at all but, your English language grade is very important. Remember English Lit isn't important at all and no sixth form or uni requires an English Lit grade for entry. Go for the re-mark though your grade might not increase but your mark may do. You need to get a bit more sleep, minimum 6 hours to keep your brain awake. For Biology I didn't make flashcards but bought cgp flashcards on amazon and they helped so much. Remember type up physicsmathstutor and each subject has free flashcard, then go on biology revision you'll see it. Good luck!

I can't express how much you've supported me in such little time. Thank you so much GTT and I feel a little more content and relieved now that you said my Lit grade won't really affect my future. Although I am not going to pick Literature for A-level as I don't really like it, I still may consider a remark because I feel like I should've got higher but if it doesn't affect my uni entry and sixth form and if there is no point, I won't really bother. I just wanted to ask, in the future if I want to get into a top university say Oxford or Cambridge and most of my grades are high, will they point out that one grade which was a 5 in literature? I'm scared any sixth form or university will look at this one grade and wonder why it isn't up to standard with the others (which hopefully I will get high grades in).
Original post by annabrownbridge
Grades:

Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
Physics - 8
Maths - 7
English Literature - 9 > got a Distinction in speaking.
English Language - 9 ^
French - 8 (got 9s in all 6 of my mocks and a Distinction in speaking though...)
Geography - 8
Computer Science - 9

My plans for the future:

My course requirements/did I reach them?:

I only needed 5s in my core subjects and 6s in my option subjects to get into the courses I wanted and I managed to excel so I'm super happy for myself!

How I feel:

I'm so happy I managed to achieve these grades and I feel so blessed to have had some great teachers who have supported me every step of the way for the past 5 years, even throughout online learning and COVID.

Some advice for Year 10s going into Year 11 in September would be:

- When you turn 16, get the vaccine. Yes, not the advice you probably expected, but it will seriously help you if COVID spikes again. A lot of students in my year had to isolate for a long time over the past academic year. One of my friends even had to isolate for about 2 months in a row! And that's WITHOUT the Jan-March spike! To be fair to us, we didn't have the vaccine available to us just yet but I just wanted to use that as an example as to why it would be beneficial to get vaccinated against COVID.

- Don't panic. I know it seems hard - but seriously, don't. You will find that panicking just brings you down. You need to stride into your school in September with the most confidence you can in order to have the best possible chances at getting the highest grades you possibly can. Positivity matters this year alongside revision, remember. And FYI, this is why my maths grade is a tiny bit lower than my others. I panicked all year. (I hate maths XD)

- Don't revise TOO hard. yes, by all means revise. However you need a social life too! Your friends will support you throughout the year but they wont be able to if you lose them! Don't let school take over your life. You're only in Year 11 once, make the most of it!

- If you end up having to isolate (lets hope not though!), DO NOT PANIC. My friend that I mentioned in the first point? He was off for about 5 months yet still managed to achieve 2 7s, about 6 8s and 3 9s! You can still do it! However... that brings me to another point on this topic though: if you are isolating, DO NOT STOP WORKING. It will be your downfall. Trust me, I've seen it backfire on students who (stupidly) did this JUST today (results day).

- If online learning resumes this year, and if you have an iPad, 'Notability' is your best friend. It allows you to type normally but also has a mark-up feature that (works really well with an apple pen if you own one) and allows for you to annotate things like poems in English. It was an absolute GODSEND for me. Without it, I don't think I'd have gotten my 9s in my English subjects. It comes at a price, but it's a small price to pay for good grades.

If anybody would like anymore tips, feel free to message me on Instagram, @ annabrownbridge :smile:

That's some great support for someone like me just going into year 11. Thank you so much for taking time out to give the upcoming year 11'rs useful advice!!!

Also, do you mind if I ask what revision methods you chose and if you created a daily timetable which you followed? Or you just set goals at the beginning of the day that you wanted completed that day and just got along and ticked off what you completed?

Latest