The Student Room Group

Advice over timetable clash for A-level classes - any help appreciated!

Hi, I’ve never posted here before, but I’d really appreciate if I could gauge some opinions in regards to the problem that’s arisen with my A-level options.

I received my GCSE results, and I was very happy. I achieved 988887766.

My initial A-level options were Chemistry(9), Biology(8), Computer Science(7). *GCSE grades in brackets

However, Chemistry and Computer Science clashed on the timetable. I was torn, as I had by heart set on these options. I was really indecisive, and for now, I’ve chosen to drop Chemistry and take Psychology and Geography in its place (with intention to drop one of those).

I am very interested in both Chemistry and Computer Science. However, CS is a subject I am very invested in amongst my spare time, and Chemistry comes to me naturally, but I limit my engagement in the subject to school-related work.

My initial options were set out with the intention of leaving the paths of Medicine and Computer Science on the table. I am now left with the choice of one of those paths, or both with many hurdles at least. I find this to be a really difficult decision.

So bearing all of this in mind, can you guys share some opinions with me, regarding what courses you believe I should take, and say thing else you may deem to be helpful?

Thanks
Can you replace CS with maths A level? That will keep the door open for Computer Science degree applications, without dropping chemistry. In what other subjects did you get a grade 8 at?
Reply 2
Original post by Ekaterini
Can you replace CS with maths A level? That will keep the door open for Computer Science degree applications, without dropping chemistry. In what other subjects did you get a grade 8 at?

That would have been the best option. Unfortunately however, Maths was my joint-lowest graded subject (grade 6). So A-level Mathematics isn't really on the table. Not without many challenges, anyway.

I suppose I'm overwhelmed at the decision I have to make; I feel I'm being forced to decide my broader career path at this very early stage.

I'm trying to gather some 'for and against' points for taking either Computer Science or Chemistry. What do people feel would lead me to a better career, etc.?

My GCSE grades in full detail are as follows, should anyone feel they are relevant:

French Option H 6 M
Mathematics Option H 6
Geography 8
Biology Tier H 8
Chemistry Tier H 9
Physics Tier H 7
Computer Science 7
English Language 8 D
English Literature 8
With those amazing GCSE grades you have the potential of getting AAA in your A levels and be accepted at any Russel Group Uni for a variety of subjects. Especially if you chose to continue with subjects you received 7, 8, or 9 in your GCSEs.

If you get lower A level grades you are narrowing down your options. So it’s best to go through each university’s website and check the entry requirements for different subjects, not only Medicine and Computer Science! You need to find the answers to these: Without maths A levels can you study CS, even if you get A in your CS A levels? And like you said, with a 6 in maths you probably shouldn’t take it for A levels if your aim is to achieve grade As in your A levels. Without Chemistry would you be able to do medicine? Also go through conversations on this platform on the subjects you are interested to read from other students’ experiences.

It is unfortunate than in the UK educational system you do have to make that decision so young and potentially close doors. The obvious choices to me from your results and the fact you said Chemistry comes natural, I would have chosen Chemistry, Biology, Geography. And look at degrees beyond Computer Sciences if you don’t take maths.

Best wishes, you’ll do very well!
Reply 4
Original post by Ekaterini
With those amazing GCSE grades you have the potential of getting AAA in your A levels and be accepted at any Russel Group Uni for a variety of subjects. Especially if you chose to continue with subjects you received 7, 8, or 9 in your GCSEs.

If you get lower A level grades you are narrowing down your options. So it’s best to go through each university’s website and check the entry requirements for different subjects, not only Medicine and Computer Science! You need to find the answers to these: Without maths A levels can you study CS, even if you get A in your CS A levels? And like you said, with a 6 in maths you probably shouldn’t take it for A levels if your aim is to achieve grade As in your A levels. Without Chemistry would you be able to do medicine? Also go through conversations on this platform on the subjects you are interested to read from other students’ experiences.

It is unfortunate than in the UK educational system you do have to make that decision so young and potentially close doors. The obvious choices to me from your results and the fact you said Chemistry comes natural, I would have chosen Chemistry, Biology, Geography. And look at degrees beyond Computer Sciences if you don’t take maths.

Best wishes, you’ll do very well!

Alright, I'll do just that!

Thank you for the all the advice, I really appreciate it!
Original post by burgerman12
Hi, I’ve never posted here before, but I’d really appreciate if I could gauge some opinions in regards to the problem that’s arisen with my A-level options.

My initial A-level options were Chemistry(9), Biology(8), Computer Science(7). *GCSE grades in brackets

However, Chemistry and Computer Science clashed on the timetable. I was torn, as I had by heart set on these options. I was really indecisive, and for now, I’ve chosen to drop Chemistry and take Psychology and Geography in its place (with intention to drop one of those).

I am very interested in both Chemistry and Computer Science. However, CS is a subject I am very invested in amongst my spare time, and Chemistry comes to me naturally, but I limit my engagement in the subject to school-related work.

My initial options were set out with the intention of leaving the paths of Medicine and Computer Science on the table. I am now left with the choice of one of those paths, or both with many hurdles at least. I find this to be a really difficult decision.

So bearing all of this in mind, can you guys share some opinions with me, regarding what courses you believe I should take, and say thing else you may deem to be helpful?

Thanks

Have you looked at the requirements for computer science degrees? I think most unis, certainly any good ones, will require you to take A level maths anyway, so you aren't going to be able to do a degree in that with your A levels anyway. With a 6 in GCSE maths, I think a lot of schools would allow you to take A level maths, so maybe you should look into taking that (although a lot of unis require further maths as well as maths for computer science, it's worth doing some research into potential courses you would like to take)

As for taking chemistry, it is a very maths based A level as well, so maths instead of computer science would also work. Chemistry is also a much better A level than biology at opening doors into medicine and a lot of other science related courses (probably due to its high maths content). A good option to consider taking with chemistry might be geography, it also would be a good contrast with your very science based A levels and could open your options up a bit more.

Ultimately, I can't tell you which one you should drop, it is a personal decision to you based on which one you feel suits you better. Good luck with whichever you choose!
That would have been the best option. Unfortunately however, Maths was my joint-lowest graded subject (grade 6). So A-level Mathematics isn't really on the table. Not without many challenges, anyway.

I suppose I'm overwhelmed at the decision I have to make; I feel I'm being forced to decide my broader career path at this very early stage.

I'm trying to gather some 'for and against' points for taking either Computer Science or Chemistry. What do people feel would lead me to a better career, etc.?

My GCSE grades in full detail are as follows, should anyone feel they are relevant:

French Option H 6 M
Mathematics Option H 6
Geography 8
Biology Tier H 8
Chemistry Tier H 9
Physics Tier H 7
Computer Science 7
English Language 8 D
English Literature 8

The obvious against point for CompSci is that you will be limited in the unis you can apply for without Maths A-level.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7

Thanks

For the majority of universities you need maths a level to do computer science (and you don’t actually need computer science a level to do it at degree) so why don’t you do biology chemistry maths? That way you have computing and medicine open as well as a whole range of other things. Hope this helped :smile:
Edit: I’ve just seen your other posts about your grade in maths. I think if you work really hard you would still be able to do maths a level if you wanted but if you feel like you wouldn’t be able to get a good grade in it or even as good a grade as you can in other subjects then geography is a good third option. Biology, Chemistry and geography leave many doors open and very good ones!! Without maths a level it will be very very hard to find computer science degrees you can apply for so you’ll be very limited. Good luck.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest