The Student Room Group

my alevel choices

I've enroled for sixth form with
geography
economics
maths
but I am unsure as I am worried about future job prospects. should I consider taking chemistry instead? if so which one should I swap?
I got a 99 at gcse, but I'm still worried chemistry may be really challenging for me, as I've heard that it is nothing like gcse.
Reply 1
Don’t worry about job prospects for now, just choose the A levels that you enjoy and think you’ll do well in. In achieving that you’ll set yourself in good stead for career prospects later, whether you choose to go to uni or straight into employment after your A levels
Reply 2
Original post by abbi rooprah
geography
economics
maths
but I am unsure as I am worried about future job prospects. should I consider taking chemistry instead? if so which one should I swap?
I got a 99 at gcse, but I'm still worried chemistry may be really challenging for me, as I've heard that it is nothing like gc

i just finished my A Levels and I did maths chem and Econ. truss me I wished I did Geo Chemistry was hard stay with it u wont regret it
geography
economics
maths
I got a 99 at gcse, but I'm still worried chemistry may be really challenging for me, as I've heard that it is nothing like gcse.

What future jobs are you considering? From what I've heard, A level chemistry is a lot of content and is also very maths based, which if you are doing maths A level shouldn't be a problem. As for it being content-heavy, considering maths isn't a very content-heavy A level you should be fine as long as you put in the work
geography
economics
maths

1. What do you want to study at university?
2. Are you considering taking Geography, Economics, Mathematics and Chemistry? Or are you thinking of replacing one of the above A-Levels with Chemistry?
3. I took A-Level Chemistry. Do you have any specific questions?
Original post by juicygcse
What future jobs are you considering? From what I've heard, A level chemistry is a lot of content and is also very maths based, which if you are doing maths A level shouldn't be a problem. As for it being content-heavy, considering maths isn't a very content-heavy A level you should be fine as long as you put in the work

A-Level Chemistry is not that Mathematics-heavy. I got a B at GCSE Mathematics and was fine. :yep:
Original post by 5hyl33n
A-Level Chemistry is not that Mathematics-heavy. I got a B at GCSE Mathematics and was fine. :yep:

Fair enough, I've just heard it was from older years, also our school does chemistry A level with 1 teacher teaching the chemistry part and 1 teaching the maths part, but I think my school's just weird
They sound good, there's plenty of things you could do.

You're probably able enough to do chemistry but if you're not enthusiastic about it then it'll probably be hell lol. Just keep your options as they are.
chemistry a-level is hard
imo, only do it if the degree you wanna do at uni requires chem
if the degree you wanna do doesn't require chemistry then don't do it
i got an 8 for triple chem at gcse and got a B for chem a-level (which i'm really happy with but it took up so much revision time for me)
the degree i'm gonna start doesn't even require chem a-level so i kinda gave myself all that stress for nothing LOL. i could've done a less stressful subject and still get into the same uni for the same course
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by juicygcse
Fair enough, I've just heard it was from older years, also our school does chemistry A level with 1 teacher teaching the chemistry part and 1 teaching the maths part, but I think my school's just weird

I think you mean one teacher teaches organic and the other teaches physical. :tongue:
Original post by 5hyl33n
I think you mean one teacher teaches organic and the other teaches physical. :tongue:

idk lol, that's how my head of sixth form described it anyway
Reply 11
geography
economics
maths

You have a LOT of options open to you there especially because of maths so do not worry!

Quick Reply

Latest