The Student Room Group

medical school entry requirements

Do I need A-level chemistry to get into medical school, can a level applied science suffice for the chemistry requirements?
Original post by junaid.05
Do I need A-level chemistry to get into medical school, can a level applied science suffice for the chemistry requirements?

Have you studied biology, as I believe that keeps a lot more options open? I don't believe any med school will let you sub in applied science if they ask for chemistry.

In fact, can you give a full breakdown of your A-levels?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
I’m doing A-level biology, A-level psychology and I’m choosing between picking A-level chemistry and Applied sciences. So I just want to know if i can still get into medical school without doing A-level chemistry?
I’m doing A-level biology, A-level psychology and I’m choosing between picking A-level chemistry and Applied sciences. So I just want to know if i can still get into medical school without doing A-level chemistry?

Looking at this list, which may be a little out of date, your options would be pretty limited: https://themsag.com/blogs/applying-to-medical-school/a-level-requirements-for-medicine-uk

If you just do biology, and not chemistry, maths or physics, then you're down to:

East Anglia
KMMS
Leicester
Newcastle
NMS
Plymouth
Sheffield

As you can see, you're hugely cutting your options down, and you may not meet other entry requirements for these unis.

Doing chemistry will keep all options open. Doing maths or physics will keep more options open, if you'd rather that than physics.

I don't think applied sciences will help you at all.

Most medical schools require chemistry A-level so I recommend going for that. Not sure how widely accepted applied sciences are.
Reply 5

Generally, Applied anything is not a good idea and chmistry would open more doors

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending