The Student Room Group

King's College London A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by themartinipolice
I am aware that kings is a reasonably holistic admissions process, but that they heavily consider GCSEs against UCAT, and interview. Obviously I cannot predict my UCAT or interview performance and I won't try to. But KCL would be my top top school for a number of reasons which I won't go into.

I'm afraid my GCSE's let me down, they're not bad at all and I'm very proud of them, but I find it hard to gauge how good they are for a GCSE heavy university.

I got 9 8 8 8 8 7 7 7 7 7 7. So 5 9/8s, and 6 7s. As much as I want to go to King's, my primary goal is to get in SOMEWHERE, and I'd rather apply strategically and get in somewhere else, than risk it and not get in anywhere. So with these GCSEs, would a really high UCAT be needed to support it. Even if I did well on the UCAT, would it be better to apply elsewhere?

Sorry, this must be a question you guys get 1000 times a day, but my school, teachers and family are no help. It's always " you got all As and A*s of course you will get in" they don't understand much about the process, or that these GCSEs are kinda 'middling' for a med applicant.

Anyways, the work all you people do on here is amazing, I and I'm sure everybody else really appreciate it. Thank you for any insight.

Hi. I'm not too sure myself but these sources might provide some more insight :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=91986806&postcount=673 (**pasted below)
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/491735/response/1232341/attach/4/470.18%20Response.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1 (Q2 doesn't exactly answer your question though)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Original post by username3300916)
Hmmm ok from what I remember being told on this thread a while ago, kings score GCSEs the follow
40% weighting,
7A*s = 40
6A*s = 30
5A*s = 20
4A*s = 10
<4A*s = 0

SJT - 5% weighting
Band 1 - 5%, Band 2 - 2.5%

UCAT score - 45% weighting
I’m assuming it’s done via deciles with 9th decile scoring 45/45 and each decile dropping 5 points.
Kings could very well have their own decile scoring system which could be higher than the UCAT deciles (hull York has a system like that from what I remember)

Contextual data - 10%

(This is all rough estimates)

I assume you need 50%+ to be fine
as people have got in with a UCAT of 2400+ which would be around 4th decile so 20/45 and would probs have had solid GCSEs.
I’m also aware if you have no A*s at GCSES, based off previous years, you would need a 700+ to secure an interview. So that would imply to me that then those people with no A*s at GCSEs must’ve scored the full 50/50 in the UCAt to secure an interview.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by qwertymedic2021
Hi. I'm not too sure myself but these sources might provide some more insight :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=91986806&postcount=673 (**pasted below)
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/491735/response/1232341/attach/4/470.18%20Response.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1 (Q2 doesn't exactly answer your question though)
Hmmm ok from what I remember being told on this thread a while ago, kings score GCSEs the follow
40% weighting,
7A*s = 40
6A*s = 30
5A*s = 20
4A*s = 10
<4A*s = 0

SJT - 5% weighting

I’m assuming it’s done via deciles with 9th decile scoring 45/45 and each decile dropping 5 points.
Kings could very well have their own decile scoring system which could be higher than the UCAT deciles (hull York has a system like that from what I remember)

Contextual data - 10%

For
as people have got in with a UCAT of 2400+ which would be around 4th decile so 20/45 and would probs have had solid GCSEs.
I’m also aware if you have no A*s at GCSES, based off previous years, you would need a 700+ to secure an interview. So that would imply to me that then those people with no A*s at GCSEs must’ve scored the full 50/50 in the UCAt to secure an interview.

Ahh, thank you very much for this it really does help me. That second source shows that 120 people will less than 4A* at GCSE got an interview and almost all of them got offers. So presumably those with 5A* was even higher. So clearly many people do this with my GCSEs.

I’ll just have to wait for my UCAT and see I suppose. Thank you again for the help I really do appreciate it.
Reply 22
Ahh, thank you very much for this it really does help me. That second source shows that 120 people will less than 4A* at GCSE got an interview and almost all of them got offers. So presumably those with 5A* was even higher. So clearly many people do this with my GCSEs.

I’ll just have to wait for my UCAT and see I suppose. Thank you again for the help I really do appreciate it.

Things were certainly tougher this year, with many people with >3000 UCAT not getting an interview with lower GCSEs.
There was also a rumour they changed their scoring system to be more UCAT heavy - read through FOIs (or send one yourelf) to look for more info.
In a typical year, 5A* GCSEs would have needed about 660-680 UCAT. You have to remember that Kings enhances the GCSE score of contextual applicants (counting As as A*s), so many of those with lower scores may well have been contextual

Glad it helped :smile: good luck on your UCAT
can someone pls explain the GCSE scoring system in terms of 9-1 ! :wink:
Original post by browngirl08
can someone pls explain the GCSE scoring system in terms of 9-1 ! :wink:

Just scroll up a bit
Original post by Sweet122
Just scroll up a bit

Do the A*s count as both 8s and 9s? Thanks x
Reply 27
Original post by browngirl08
Do the A*s count as both 8s and 9s? Thanks x

Currently they do :smile:

40% weighting,
7A*s = 40
6A*s = 30
5A*s = 20
4A*s = 10
<4A*s = 0

SJT - 5% weighting

Contextual data - 10%

Hey, thank you for the amazing information.

So, if I have 6A*'s at GCSES, this means I have a 30% weighting? Is that how it works? So i'm missing that 10% in my total application? Also, should I bother applying to KCL with a 30% weighting? Thanks :smile:
Reply 29
Hi all ,
I did my UCAT today got 2840 ,band 2 SJT
VR-570
DM-650
QR- 730
AR-890
My stats are
Gcse
9 - maths, chemistry , biology
8- music ,English Lang, physics
7- English literature, french , RS
Engineering - A*

AS level
Economics -A

Predicted grades ( will receive achieved grades by the time of Applications to uni this year )

A* - chemistry , A*- Maths, A- biology EPQ - A/A*

Work experience
1 week with shadowing Gp

Volunteering
8 months at local hospital in cardiology and geriatrics ward .
What is my realistic chances of getting an interview at kings ? Or is it not worth it ? What was the cutoff last year for kings and do you think the cutoff can go any higher than last year ? Kings is my top UCAT uni I want to go for various reasons ? Appreciate your suggestions please
Reply 30
I've just seen in an foi that KCL sends out offers:

"on a rolling basis based on interview scores and in the context of our offer targets and conversion rate"

I searched it up and rolling basis apparently means that they give offers kinda first come first serve? until places fill up. so does this mean that the earlier your interview the better your chances. also does the date of your interview depend on when you r school sends in your application. this is lowkey stressing me out so any reply is appreciated.

40% weighting,
7A*s = 40
6A*s = 30
5A*s = 20
4A*s = 10
<4A*s = 0

SJT - 5% weighting

Contextual data - 10%

I have 87.5% (by adding the GCSE percentage and the UCAT percentage). This should be fine right? @GANFYD
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey guys, do you think that 2920 B2 will be a good score to get an interview in Kings? I'm an international student with a predicted 42 IB (7 in HL Chemistry, 7 in HL Biology, 7 in HL Psychology, 7 in SL Math AA, 6 in Spanish B, 6 in English L&L).

Since I'm international, i haven't taken GCSE's. Would this hinder my chances at an offer for an interview?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by eshanshakir
Hey guys, do you think that 2920 B2 will be a good score to get an interview in Kings? I'm an international student with a predicted 42 IB (7 in HL Chemistry, 7 in HL Biology, 7 in HL Psychology, 7 in SL Math AA, 6 in Spanish B, 6 in English L&L).

Since I'm international, i haven't taken GCSE's. Would this hinder my chances at an offer for an interview?

I was 2940 B2, International didn’t receive interview offer. My grade 10th CBSE Indian score was 97% over all. Including Extracurricular like sports, MUN awards , caring experience etc. Their admission process is not transparent compared to other UK Medical Schools which has clear guidelines. KCL evaluates holistic ( not sure what they mean holistic).
In

Original post by Smatthew
I was 2940 B2, International didn’t receive interview offer. My grade 10th CBSE Indian score was 97% over all. Including Extracurricular like sports, MUN awards , caring experience etc. Their admission process is not transparent compared to other UK Medical Schools which has clear guidelines. KCL evaluates holistic ( not sure what they mean holistic).

My 12th grade predicted score was 94%, acheived 95.6%. I would recommend if you are 95 percentile or above then apply for KCL, you may get an interview offer.
Original post by eshanshakir

Presumably you are not applying for 2021 - would you like a 2022 thread to be created? :smile:
You need to email KCL to ask how you will be conisidered without GCSEs or look on their website.
Does anyone know if kings offer contextual grades and what they would be?
Reply 37
Original post by banana_trooper
Does anyone know if kings offer contextual grades and what they would be?

Kings have a contextual course, the EMDP
So I'm planning on applying to A100 2022 entry at KCL and wanted to know if this choice is suitable (especially with regards to the Ucat)
For my GCSEs I obtained:
9 bio
9 chem
9 physics
9 maths
9 English lang
9 English lit
9 geography
9 history
7 French
For my A levels, I'm predicted 3A*'s in Biology Chemistry and mathematics
I finished an EPQ obtaining an A*.
I am due to sit the UCAT in a week and I am expecting a score above 2800 at band 1 or 2
I also have plenty of relevant work experience
Original post by 32jeerkah
So I'm planning on applying to A100 2022 entry at KCL and wanted to know if this choice is suitable (especially with regards to the Ucat)
For my GCSEs I obtained:
9 bio
9 chem
9 physics
9 maths
9 English lang
9 English lit
9 geography
9 history
7 French
For my A levels, I'm predicted 3A*'s in Biology Chemistry and mathematics
I finished an EPQ obtaining an A*.
I am due to sit the UCAT in a week and I am expecting a score above 2800 at band 1 or 2
I also have plenty of relevant work experience

its hard to give proper advice with a theoretical ucat score, i would say wait until you have your actual score

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending