The Student Room Group

Portfolios for fine art degree applications help

I'm applying to university this year to study fine art. I'm applying to Edinburgh, GSA, Newcastle, and Oxford straight from a level (haven't done a foundation course) and im really struggling to find successful portfolio examples for these universities. Would anyone be willing to share theirs or tell me where I can find examples?
Reply 1
Contact Newcastle and ask.Just phone them they are really nice.However do apply for some foundation places too as you may find you will not be accepted on the basis of A level work.Daughter mounted stuff on A2 card.There should be examples on the websites certainly are for CSM.Where abouts are you in the country?
I live near Leeds so will definitely be applying to Leeds arts uni for foundation, but I'd like to move out as soon as possible so I'm hoping to get into a degree course. The two edinburgh courses I'm applying to don't expect foundations so I'm hoping to get in there. I'll contact Newcastle thanks :smile:
I wouldn’t recommend applying to 2 degrees at Edinburgh. They get a but funny about applications to multiple courses. Better to use your 5th choice to add a choice in January for something completely different (like AUB, UCA or Falmouth or Brighton or MMU - a university that’s good for fine art specifically - your choices are very Russell group-y which aren’t the best options for creative courses usually, they tend to be a bit old fashioned and out of touch with the creative industries)
I'm really into art history which is why I'm applying to those unis. I might apply for fine art with art history at Brighton or Dundee
Original post by Aliceejohnson
I'm really into art history which is why I'm applying to those unis. I might apply for fine art with art history at Brighton or Dundee

That makes sense :smile:

I would recommend not submitting all 5 of your choices in October with your Oxford application. If you put 2 choices in initially and add the rest later then that gives you more time to work on your portfolio and to research your choices.

One of the problems we find with A level applicants is that they’re encouraged to apply early by their colleges and then end up submitting their portfolio in the autumn/winter instead of the spring. Most foundation applicants apply after Christmas and so have even more time than the early applicants. It just builds in even more disadvantage for the A level applicants.

It’s perfectly possible (and a good idea) to stagger your applications. All universities get the same information but if you add the choices on Track later it gives you more time. Plus you might have some decisions through from your earlier choices which can help you decide whether to use your remaining choices for safer or riskier choices.
Reply 6
Great advice from PQ as daughter was submitting after Christmas into Feb. You would be surprised how much your work really does improve during this time.

Quick Reply

Latest