The Student Room Group

Applying through clearance after accepting an offer?

I was rejected from my first choice uni, so I chose to study at a college nearby in hopes of getting a transfer second year (the tutor of the course at the college used to work at the uni).

Well, anyway, turns out there's some places in clearance and I've applied again. I could be rejected, but what happens if I'm not? I've already accepted my place at the college. I know I'm not the first to do this, although I couldn't find much about it online.

Thanks!
Original post by notelises
I was rejected from my first choice uni, so I chose to study at a college nearby in hopes of getting a transfer second year (the tutor of the course at the college used to work at the uni).

Well, anyway, turns out there's some places in clearance and I've applied again. I could be rejected, but what happens if I'm not? I've already accepted my place at the college. I know I'm not the first to do this, although I couldn't find much about it online.

Thanks!

Have you accepted the college place via UCAS?

Unis don't normally accept those they've rejected first time around via clearing.

Or is this for a different uni?
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Have you accepted the college place via UCAS?

Unis don't normally accept those they've rejected first time around via clearing.

Or is this for a different uni?

Thanks for the reply!

Same uni, I didn't actually know that, the course I applied for has an 8/10 rejection rate due to high demand. I have a distinction in the subject and a great portfolio, they just gave me the 'better suited candidates' speech.

I have accepted a place at the college via UCAS.
(edited 2 years ago)
Thanks for the reply!

Same uni, I didn't actually know that, the course I applied for has an 8/10 rejection rate due to high demand. I have a distinction in the subject and a great portfolio, they just gave me the 'better suited candidates' speech.

I have accepted a place at the college via UCAS.

Were you rejected from the uni on results day? Or before that?

Did you accept the place at the college via clearing?
Reply 4
Were you rejected from the uni on results day? Or before that?

Did you accept the place at the college via clearing?

I was rejected from the first uni in March I think? I'm on a gap year, I got my pre-degree results in 2020.

I was immediately accepted onto the college course in April and confirmed my place as I thought it would be my best chance. I only started looking into clearing yesterday, as I'm struggling to find accommodation in the town where the college is.
I was rejected from the first uni in March I think? I'm on a gap year, I got my pre-degree results in 2020.

I was immediately accepted onto the college course in April and confirmed my place as I thought it would be my best chance. I only started looking into clearing yesterday, as I'm struggling to find accommodation in the town where the college is.

Ah, I see.

If the first uni do accept you, you can use the decline my place option on UCAS to accept them via clearing.

However, nothing has changed since they rejected you, so I think your chances of being accepted are unfortunately low. If you're not happy with your current offer, I'd suggest looking at other uni options via clearing.
Reply 6
Ah, I see.

If the first uni do accept you, you can use the decline my place option on UCAS to accept them via clearing.

However, nothing has changed since they rejected you, so I think your chances of being accepted are unfortunately low. If you're not happy with your current offer, I'd suggest looking at other uni options via clearing.

Thanks!

I can't help but feel like I was overlooked so, even if there's a slight chance I thought I'd give it a shot. It's a bit difficult as I'm moving with my partner who is also going to a uni nearby and in our instance we're both in creative subjects, so the location and connections are more important than the course.

It's good to know that there is an option to decline a place though!
Thanks!

I can't help but feel like I was overlooked so, even if there's a slight chance I thought I'd give it a shot. It's a bit difficult as I'm moving with my partner who is also going to a uni nearby and in our instance we're both in creative subjects, so the location and connections are more important than the course.

It's good to know that there is an option to decline a place though!

I'm really sorry, but I don't think it's likely you were overlooked. I think unis are generally quite careful to look at the whole application unless you're missing key requirements for the course.

But @PQ may be able to advise further.
If you’re wondering then ring them up on Monday.

As a previous applicant they’ll be able to see your application even if you aren’t in clearing and will be able to say if they’ll reconsider you or not.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
If you’re wondering then ring them up on Monday.

As a previous applicant they’ll be able to see your application even if you aren’t in clearing and will be able to say if they’ll reconsider you or not.

Well I just wanted to update to say I got an offer from the Uni! I probably won't take it this year, as that involves my partner trying to change his course. Although, at least I know it wasn't a firm no and I might be able to transfer second year if I don't like the college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending