The Student Room Group

Publishing courses

Do publishing courses exist at any universities? I have always been interested in publishing but I also really want to go to uni. And if a publishing course does exist is it beneficial and will it help you get a good job at a publishing agency. Thank you x also if anyone does a publishing course at uni pls tell me about it
Probably not directly, I imagine there will be related business type courses that are very applicable to the publishing industry (e.g. marketing type courses), and in terms of producing publishable content there are courses in e.g. journalism, creative writing etc. But I don't know if there are any courses in just "publishing" at undergraduate level because it's a bit specific - I would've though you might find something specific like that at masters level more than at undergraduate?
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Probably not directly, I imagine there will be related business type courses that are very applicable to the publishing industry (e.g. marketing type courses), and in terms of producing publishable content there are courses in e.g. journalism, creative writing etc. But I don't know if there are any courses in just "publishing" at undergraduate level because it's a bit specific - I would've though you might find something specific like that at masters level more than at undergraduate?

Thank you so much. I'll definitely check it out x:smile:
There's a publishing Postgrad Masters at UCLan, they have their own publishing services so you get to work directly with them
Reply 4
Original post by SareEmily
There's a publishing Postgrad Masters at UCLan, they have their own publishing services so you get to work directly with them

Wow I'll check that out thank youu😀😀
Reply 5
Original post by Socratic
A number of universities offer a Master's in publishing, and they typically allow for an internship as part of the course.

At undergraduate level an English degree is typical. After all, good readers make good publishers. I worked in academic publishing for a (very) short time and everyone seemed to have a BA in English, although one had an LLB, which I imagine is actually very good training for publishing.

wow ok thank you so much
Original post by Elz15
Do publishing courses exist at any universities? I have always been interested in publishing but I also really want to go to uni. And if a publishing course does exist is it beneficial and will it help you get a good job at a publishing agency. Thank you x also if anyone does a publishing course at uni pls tell me about it

Hi @Elz15 :smile:

It's great to hear you're interested in a career in publishing - it's such a rewarding industry!

If you do end up going to university and want to do a postgraduate degree, we offer our MA Publishing course here in Preston, Lancashire!

Students on this course have access to UCLan Publishing, our very own award-winning publishing house. We also developed our curriculum by having consultations with industry professionals from places like Penguin Random House, Harper Collins, Macmillan and Hachette.

If you have any questions about our course, I'd be happy to help!

You can find out more information here: https://www.uclan.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/publishing-ma

Good luck on your university journey!
Reply 7
Original post by UCLan Ambassador
Hi @Elz15 :smile:

It's great to hear you're interested in a career in publishing - it's such a rewarding industry!

If you do end up going to university and want to do a postgraduate degree, we offer our MA Publishing course here in Preston, Lancashire!

Students on this course have access to UCLan Publishing, our very own award-winning publishing house. We also developed our curriculum by having consultations with industry professionals from places like Penguin Random House, Harper Collins, Macmillan and Hachette.

If you have any questions about our course, I'd be happy to help!

You can find out more information here: https://www.uclan.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/publishing-ma

Good luck on your university journey!

wow this sounds absolutely amazing. Just reading what you have said has made me really want to do a career in publishing and I'm so glad that at least on university offers this course. I was just worried that publishing wasn't seen as a job that you went to university for and I was worried, as student loans are so expensive, that I'd waste so much money going to uni for a publishing course to not be beneficial at all. Yet this sounds great and I would love to work for a large publishing company such as Penguin. Thank you for the time you took to wrote this and for helping me out I will defo check out. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending