The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Uni of leeds Leodis acomm 2021

Hi! I firmed a choice at the Uni of Leeds for 2021 and im studying Computer science. After a couple of days of pure stress i managed to send off an application for the Leodis residence. If anyone has any reviews about it would you mind telling me? Also if anyone is planning on studying Computer Science in leeds please interact aswell!

Scroll to see replies

Not applied for computer science but law. I'm also thinking of staying at leodis. Im just trying to look for a self-catered ensuite, that looks pretty
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I lived in Leodis in my first year. It is pretty nice, very close to campus (10 minute walk to the outskirts, probably 20 minutes to law campus). There are 9 blocks, 8 of which have 7 floors whilst the 9th (A Block) has 5 floors. 6 people to a flat, two flats per floor. The ensuites are good, bedrooms a nice size, and you have plenty of space. Leodis is one of the most populous accommodations so there is always people around, and it is plenty sociable.

I didn't get on great with my flat, so my view of Leodis is definitely a bit altered by this. But most people I know had a great time and would definitely recommend Leodis. I think it is a bit expensive for what it is (somewhere like Lupton is better value for money), but halls are really expensive but deffo worth it for the experience. Leodis is basically a slight downgrade from Central Village (in the sense that it is slightly further from the middle of campus and some of the blocks are less modern) for the same price, but you are far more likely to get accepted to Leodis than you are to CV because less people apply for Leodis.

Overall, Leodis is a good choice! I enjoyed my time there on the whole, and we didn't have any major problems. Some blocks, eg J block, are more modern than others (eg B Block), and A block has the biggest rooms but no lift. I reckon you could be very happy there.
Reply 3
Hi how about the security in the Leodis accommodation ? Is it safe , is there many drunk an homeless people?
Is block G recently refurbished and as modern as block J?

Original post by MaRad4
I lived in Leodis in my first year. It is pretty nice, very close to campus (10 minute walk to the outskirts, probably 20 minutes to law campus). There are 9 blocks, 8 of which have 7 floors whilst the 9th (A Block) has 5 floors. 6 people to a flat, two flats per floor. The ensuites are good, bedrooms a nice size, and you have plenty of space. Leodis is one of the most populous accommodations so there is always people around, and it is plenty sociable.

I didn't get on great with my flat, so my view of Leodis is definitely a bit altered by this. But most people I know had a great time and would definitely recommend Leodis. I think it is a bit expensive for what it is (somewhere like Lupton is better value for money), but halls are really expensive but deffo worth it for the experience. Leodis is basically a slight downgrade from Central Village (in the sense that it is slightly further from the middle of campus and some of the blocks are less modern) for the same price, but you are far more likely to get accepted to Leodis than you are to CV because less people apply for Leodis.

Overall, Leodis is a good choice! I enjoyed my time there on the whole, and we didn't have any major problems. Some blocks, eg J block, are more modern than others (eg B Block), and A block has the biggest rooms but no lift. I reckon you could be very happy there.
Reply 4
Original post by Irene402
Hi how about the security in the Leodis accommodation ? Is it safe , is there many drunk an homeless people?
Is block G recently refurbished and as modern as block J?

Leodis has a big metal gate which your fob buzzes you into so it feels very safe. The area it is in isn’t the best, but given the gate that doesn’t really matter. Not many homeless people around, and the only drunk people are students.

Can’t say re block G, I’ve never been in it. But I had friends or friends in G and from pictures it looked pretty modern. You’re getting good furnishings regardless of block I think.
Reply 5
Original post by MaRad4
Leodis has a big metal gate which your fob buzzes you into so it feels very safe. The area it is in isn’t the best, but given the gate that doesn’t really matter. Not many homeless people around, and the only drunk people are students.

Can’t say re block G, I’ve never been in it. But I had friends or friends in G and from pictures it looked pretty modern. You’re getting good furnishings regardless of block I think.

Thank u so much ! May i know if there is free laundry service in Leodis? Is the food and drinks veery expensive in Londis?
Reply 6
Also may i know what it means by G4.26 ?
Is 6 the last room located near the door to the common room?
Reply 7
Thank u so much ! May i know if there is free laundry service in Leodis? Is the food and drinks veery expensive in Londis?

Laundry is not free in any accommodations, but you are given some free credits to use on washing.

Londis, the nearby shop, is just a little corner store. It’s on the cheap side, and the nearest big supermarket, Morrison’s, is cheap and very popular with students. You also aren’t far from an aldi.

G4.26 means block G, floor 4, flat 2, room six. Each block has six floors and two flats per floor so you are right in the middle, and room six is the room within the flat closest to the kitchen.

The common room serves all of Leodis and, at least when I was there, was minimally used. It sits between block G and J (the blocks are in a funny order) but I wouldn’t give too much thought to it: you’ll use it in freshers and not much after that I’d imagine. If by common room you mean flat kitchen / living room, then yes you are next to it. I was too, and the noise wasn’t often disruptive.
Reply 8
Original post by MaRad4
Laundry is not free in any accommodations, but you are given some free credits to use on washing.

Londis, the nearby shop, is just a little corner store. It’s on the cheap side, and the nearest big supermarket, Morrison’s, is cheap and very popular with students. You also aren’t far from an aldi.

G4.26 means block G, floor 4, flat 2, room six. Each block has six floors and two flats per floor so you are right in the middle, and room six is the room within the flat closest to the kitchen.

The common room serves all of Leodis and, at least when I was there, was minimally used. It sits between block G and J (the blocks are in a funny order) but I wouldn’t give too much thought to it: you’ll use it in freshers and not much after that I’d imagine. If by common room you mean flat kitchen / living room, then yes you are next to it. I was too, and the noise wasn’t often disruptive.

Thank you for the info! Is there any extension in our room or we have to buy them? Usually how to we go to supermarkets , is it safe to walk there?
Reply 9
Thank you for the info! Is there any extension in our room or we have to buy them? Usually how to we go to supermarkets , is it safe to walk there?

By extension, do you mean extension cord? If so, yes you do need to buy your own but be assured that your room will have many plug sockets.

It is safe to walk to the supermarkets don’t worry. However if you are walking alone, I personally would only go to and from Morrison’s the quickest way when it is light outside. But there is a long way round (up to the uni and down) which I would do any time. But I feel I would give the same advice regardless of the city.

Leodis is in the LS6 2qf postcode. Maybe have a look at the crime map in your nervous? But try not to get too in your head, there are so many students in Leodis (like minimum 800? I’m bad at maths) so you are not alone and it’s definitely not an unsafe area.
Original post by MaRad4
By extension, do you mean extension cord? If so, yes you do need to buy your own but be assured that your room will have many plug sockets.

It is safe to walk to the supermarkets don’t worry. However if you are walking alone, I personally would only go to and from Morrison’s the quickest way when it is light outside. But there is a long way round (up to the uni and down) which I would do any time. But I feel I would give the same advice regardless of the city.

Leodis is in the LS6 2qf postcode. Maybe have a look at the crime map in your nervous? But try not to get too in your head, there are so many students in Leodis (like minimum 800? I’m bad at maths) so you are not alone and it’s definitely not an unsafe area.

Thank you so much for the info! Is it warm in the rooms ? I am an international student and i am not sure whether the temperature is too cold , what is the temp during Sep to December in the area?
Reply 11
Thank you so much for the info! Is it warm in the rooms ? I am an international student and i am not sure whether the temperature is too cold , what is the temp during Sep to December in the area?

The rooms are warm enough, I don’t remember ever feeling cold. You have a heater / radiator in your room so you can turn it on whenever you want.

Of course I don’t know what country you’re coming from, but leeds is quite a cold place. Single figures in winter routinely, often gets very icy and we had snow a few times this year. But the halls are well maintained, and if you are cold so just use your heater. I wouldn’t say you need to bring anything to keep your room warm (bar some blankets just in case!).
Original post by MaRad4
The rooms are warm enough, I don’t remember ever feeling cold. You have a heater / radiator in your room so you can turn it on whenever you want.

Of course I don’t know what country you’re coming from, but leeds is quite a cold place. Single figures in winter routinely, often gets very icy and we had snow a few times this year. But the halls are well maintained, and if you are cold so just use your heater. I wouldn’t say you need to bring anything to keep your room warm (bar some blankets just in case!).

Thank you for the reply.
Reply 13
Original post by MaRad4

Was wondering if there are any full length mirrors in the accom? esp in J block and if not should i bring my own? Also, how is storage like in the accom rooms, is there enough under bed space?
Reply 14
Original post by Klearr
Was wondering if there are any full length mirrors in the accom? esp in J block and if not should i bring my own? Also, how is storage like in the accom rooms, is there enough under bed space?

Great point… there is no full length mirror so bring your own, or there is a wilko with cheap ones nearby!! Under the bed storage is good, I would definitely recommend utilising it as the wardrobe is quite small. I used a suitcase but boxes or containers would also work under the bed.

Big up J block!!
Reply 15
Original post by MaRad4
Great point… there is no full length mirror so bring your own, or there is a wilko with cheap ones nearby!! Under the bed storage is good, I would definitely recommend utilising it as the wardrobe is quite small. I used a suitcase but boxes or containers would also work under the bed.

Big up J block!!

Ah thats a bummer, ill just buy one here then. Also, i know that the bed is 3/4 large but i was wondering how big that is in terms of like duvet and fitted sheet sizes? do i get a double or a single? If you know the dimensions of the bed would you mind telling me? haha, big up J block fr
Reply 16
Original post by Klearr
Ah thats a bummer, ill just buy one here then. Also, i know that the bed is 3/4 large but i was wondering how big that is in terms of like duvet and fitted sheet sizes? do i get a double or a single? If you know the dimensions of the bed would you mind telling me? haha, big up J block fr

I believe it is a Queen size bed, I just got stuff for a standard double and it all fit fine. Nothing wrong with a bit of extra duvet!
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi , is there a need to buy padlocks? If yes, shud it be big or small?
Also is it suggested to buy food bundles from our student accomodation? I am not too sure how it works and i might be quarantined for 10 days. Will the food bundle allow me to have access to food? But, i dun think i can walk to the cafes in the uni campus. Or should i just depend on ordering food online?
Reply 19
Also is it suggested to buy food bundles from our
student accomodation? I am not too sure how it works and i might be quarantined for 10 days. Will the food bundle allow me to have access to food? But, i dun think i can walk to the cafes in the uni campus. Or should i just depend on ordering food online?

hi, no need for padlocks!

In terms of food parcels, I’m sorry but I don’t know. My first year was pre covid so I don’t know what you’ve been told about quarantine and isolation. If it were me, I’d probably do a food shop at home and bring it with me when I move (that is what I did) or do a shop in the first couple days of being in halls. If you have to isolate, I’ve seen plenty of people get deliveries to Leodis so that shouldn’t be a problem!

Quick Reply

Latest