The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Been looking for this thread, but no one created it yet, so here we are. Anyone applying to law for 2022 entry? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by fec1864
Been looking for this thread, but no one created it yet, so here we are. Anyone applying to law for 2022 entry? :smile:

Yeah :smile: where are you applying?
Reply 3
Original post by swjp
Yeah :smile: where are you applying?

Hey! Not *completely* decided on the full 5 yet, but I definitely want to apply to Durham, Manchester, and Liverpool (the latter being more of a convenience option). I’m then undecided about the final two. I think I want to apply for another more “aspirational” choice like Durham (considering LSE) perhaps, and then a toss up between a couple of others (Bristol, Exeter etc).

How about you?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by fec1864

Yeah I am. I plan to apply to UCL, Bristol and Leeds so far. Haven't fully made up my mind about the rest yet though
Reply 5
Original post by plain__jane
Yeah I am. I plan to apply to UCL, Bristol and Leeds so far. Haven't fully made up my mind about the rest yet though

Sounds good to me! I was thinking of maybe UCL as opposed to LSE because it’s bigger and I’ve heard it’s better for social stuff and they have more going on. Do you want to go to a uni in a big city then (London/Bristol/Leeds) as opposed to somewhere like Exeter or Durham? :smile:
Original post by fec1864
Sounds good to me! I was thinking of maybe UCL as opposed to LSE because it’s bigger and I’ve heard it’s better for social stuff and they have more going on. Do you want to go to a uni in a big city then (London/Bristol/Leeds) as opposed to somewhere like Exeter or Durham? :smile:

Yeah. But that is not the only reason though. I feel like these schools are more diverse because I'm an international student. I'm also looking to apply to King's.
Hii please I have a question about the personal statement. I want to quote something from a law movie I watched, does it make sense to do so?
Original post by fec1864

Hi there,

I am a current Law student at UEA, if anyone has any questions about studying a Law degree or university life as a Law student feel free to ask!

Leah (UEA) :smile:
Hii please I have a question about the personal statement. I want to quote something from a law movie I watched, does it make sense to do so?

Hi OP,

I would say this depends on the movie and the topic it covers. As a general rule, showing that you have an interest in the Law already is a really good idea for personal statements and many people do this by discussing books they've read, cases they've followed, talks they've been to, etc.

So, if you're planning on quoting Legally Blonde maybe pass on that, but if you have something that is really relevant to your statement then go for it.

Hope this helps,

Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Leah
Hi OP,

I would say this depends on the movie and the topic it covers. As a general rule, showing that you have an interest in the Law already is a really good idea for personal statements and many people do this by discussing books they've read, cases they've followed, talks they've been to, etc.

So, if you're planning on quoting Legally Blonde maybe pass on that, but if you have something that is really relevant to your statement then go for it.

Hope this helps,

Thank you so much for this advice, and no it is not legally blonde😂😂
Yeah. But that is not the only reason though. I feel like these schools are more diverse because I'm an international student. I'm also looking to apply to King's.

Yeah, I’ve heard London unis are diverse. I might be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that LSE might be the most international uni, at least in London. I think it’s something like 40% of students are international. More so than UCL and the likes. Have you considered there?
Thank you so much for this advice, and no it is not legally blonde😂😂

Out of curiosity, what movie is it? Haha.

I mean, I am mentioning a book or two in my PS but not a movie lmao. :smile:
Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Leah
Hi OP,

Hope this helps,

Hi Leah. Thank you! What would you say are the best things that someone applying for law in the coming year could do to prepare themselves and maximise chances of getting into uni for law?
Original post by fec1864
Out of curiosity, what movie is it? Haha.

I mean, I am mentioning a book or two in my PS but not a movie lmao. :smile:

It's called Law school... I don't think I'm gonna use it anymore though found something else😂
Original post by fec1864
Yeah, I’ve heard London unis are diverse. I might be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that LSE might be the most international uni, at least in London. I think it’s something like 40% of students are international. More so than UCL and the likes. Have you considered there?

LSE? I'm not really interested 😂 I heard they reject a lot of students and I don't wanna waste space on my UCAS application when I can apply somewhere else. I'm already applying to UCL and King's so yeah. Thanks for the suggestion tho
Also please who knows what I can do to get my private messages to work. It keeps saying that I'm not yet allowed to send a private message. Oh and @fec1864 yeah LSE is a very diverse uni but I've decided on my 5 schools
Original post by fec1864
Hi Leah. Thank you! What would you say are the best things that someone applying for law in the coming year could do to prepare themselves and maximise chances of getting into uni for law?

Hi OP,

Great question! I would say that, generally, reading is the way to go. A law degree is full of reading so it's good to start building good habits when it comes to reading, but also there are a lot of books out there that can serve as useful for personal statements (as mentioned above) and can be really topical for your first year of your degree.

Some examples would be:
- The Secret Barrister's books
- The Rule of Law - Tom Bingham
- Letters to a Law Student - Nicholas J. McBride
- Tomorrow's Lawyers - Richard Susskind
- Is eating people wrong? - Allan Hutchinson
- What about Law? - Catherine Barnard, Graham Virgo, and Janet O'Sullivan

If you really are opposed to reading or maybe are very busy at the moment with work or A levels, then finding relevant things to watch that again expose you to the contemporary legal world - think documentaries, case overviews, etc.

One thing that you will hear endlessly at University is Commercial Awareness. This is essentially staying on top of current legal news. So keeping an eye on the news, identifying where there are issues of legal concern within stories and articles, and starting to find out what legal work actually looks like in the real world. Some big topics currently would be things such as Brexit, Covid regulations, etc, but another good source is looking on law firms websites where most have a blog of some of the work they are currently doing.

Hope this helps,

Original post by fec1864

I'm pretty sure half of UCL's students are international. All the unis are in the same area anyway (obviously), so they'll all be interacting with one another. Should probably do it based on the course and how pressured the teaching is - I ended up deciding on KCL and UCL as my two London unis, and not LSE (but then again I'm not international).
LSE is more for those who want to study maybe political science and economics

Latest

Trending

Trending