The Student Room Group

University of Oxford PPE 2023

Hi There,

I setup this discussion for people like me who are already thinking about Uni applications for 2023 and are looking for advice and support.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by william.back
Hi There,

I setup this discussion for people like me who are already thinking about Uni applications for 2023 and are looking for advice and support.

ngl if this is 2023 you are really early, good for u tho
Original post by leviticus.
ngl if this is 2023 you are really early, good for u tho

I know, I'm a massive overthinker :smile:
I know, I'm a massive overthinker :smile:

well in any case, what were your GCSE grades as they're probably the only stats you have right now, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by leviticus.
well in any case, what were your GCSE grades as they're probably the only stats you have right now, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind.

Music (Currently Appealing)
Chemistry 8
History 7
Biology 7
Computer Science 7
Maths (Currently Appealing)
English 6
Physics 6

Also, I go to a state school :smile:
I don't mind.

Chemistry 8
History 7
Biology 7
Computer Science 7
English 6
Physics 6

I see fair enough, PPE uses GCSEs pretty extensively for shortlisting and offer purposes but beyond that, they care more about something called cGCSEs. These are GCSEs achieved in context to your school's performance where they give you a score between -3 and +3. I think, beyond a TSA score of 80 or something, a cGCSE score of 1.5+ was the strongest indicator of an applicant getting an offer.
Interesting, thanks
Thought this was a typo at first. Best advice for you is to master the TSA admissions exam in advance. This will greatly benefit your application. Feel free to drop in on our applicants' workshop (even if you aren't applying this year): https://forms.gle/uHimYQ49LHncSyPU9
Hi There,

hey! i'm planning on applying for ppe as well! when you say 2023, do you mean that's when you'll apply or that's when you'll start uni?
Reply 9
PPE 2023!!
It is my dream major. I’m an international applicant, I’m doing A Levels in history, maths, economics, religious studies
Hi I am also looking at PPE, what super-curricular reading are people doing. At the moment all I have read is 'Meditations on First philosophy' by Descartes and 'Think' by Simon Blackburn. Any suggestions for Politics and Economics would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Hi There,

Heya! Applying to Oxford can be very challenging! Perhaps first step would be making sure that your personal statement contains all the right information such as extra curricular, showing your passion for PPE and etc. It is the first and very important step so perhaps get some help from tutors or your teachers! For admissions test I would recommend checking for past papers online and having a go at them! Here is the link to the free TSA resources and free articles which should help you out with your application from admissions test to the interview :smile:.

If you want some help from an experienced tutor with your PPE application, do check out Oxbridge Mind tutors, of course only if you want to!

Good luck with your applications!

Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind
hmm im only in y10 but i also would like to apply to oxford ppe... some economics books ive read/reading
- freakonomics
- bitcoin standard
- wealth of nations
- invisible hand
- making a modern central bank
i would say though these books are engineered to my own interests in economics as in monetary economics and macro not sure ab political books

Original post by Collen3376
Hi I am also looking at PPE, what super-curricular reading are people doing. At the moment all I have read is 'Meditations on First philosophy' by Descartes and 'Think' by Simon Blackburn. Any suggestions for Politics and Economics would be greatly appreciated :smile:
I've been working with the application guide from PPEsuccess.com which had loads of good suggestions, so far I've read think and the black swan, and am about to start On Liberty :smile:
Original post by oikawa-
hmm im only in y10 but i also would like to apply to oxford ppe... some economics books ive read/reading
- freakonomics
- bitcoin standard
- wealth of nations
- invisible hand
i would say though these books are engineered to my own interests in economics as in monetary economics and macro not sure ab political books

Wow, you are just Y10 and yet you already did so many readings!
I don't mind.

Chemistry 8
History 7
Biology 7
Computer Science 7
English 6
Physics 6

What about A-level predicted grades? I suppose you have already gotten one!
Original post by manifest A stars
Wow, you are just Y10 and yet you already did so many readings!

haha i just have an interest in economics and luckily this is a pro for oxford applications in 2025
Original post by oikawa-
- freakonomics
- bitcoin standard
- wealth of nations
- invisible hand

Might just be me but I think you should probably delve into more academic resources. For example, although seminal to the foundation of economics: the wealth of nations is scarcely cited or useful unless you're studying the history of thought. Imo I'd think about the stuff in Econ that interests you, and search on google scholar for papers on those subjects. If you can't understand the content e.g., too mathematical, jargonised etc..., then proceed to research the foundations you need to understand it. Same with Philo or politics.
Original post by Collen3376

For Philo, I'd suggest reading some contemporary academic books rather than Descartes or Blackburn. Descartes is important to know, but easily and often refuted by most other modern philosophers in epistemology who have succeeded him in some or another fashion. Although sometimes obtuse to read on a textual level for an analytic philosopher, a favourite of mine atm is John McDowell. I reckon you'd find a read of his stuff on epistemology or Aristotelian Moral Philosophy quite interesting. As long as you can cope, jumping into the deep end is probably the best thing to do: kind of like learning a language yk.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Noah1807
Might just be me but I think you should probably delve into more academic resources. For example, although seminal to the foundation of economics: the wealth of nations is scarcely cited or useful unless you're studying the history of thought. Imo I'd think about the stuff in Econ that interests you, and search on google scholar for papers on those subjects. If you can't understand the content e.g., too mathematical, jargonised etc..., then proceed to research the foundations you need to understand it. Same with Philo or politics.

Yea since then I've entered an economics essay competition ( got awarded commendation ) to help improve critical thinking and reasoning skills when it comes to econ. To be completely honest wealth of nations bored me after i read the first 200 pages, but I picked up a mini guide to maths in economics since I dont do econ gcse. Thanks for the advice tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending