The Student Room Group

GCSE Oxford chemistry

Hi so I got my GCSEs and it was much lower than my predicted grades and what I was expecting, and I’m appealing some of my GCSEs

At the moment my GCSEs are

I got an 8 in chemistry gcse, and I’m appealing/retaking the two subjects I got 4s in.

Do Oxford care about my GCSEs? How important are my GCSEs to Oxford, will they determine if I get rejected or not even if I have a very good personal statement, good a level Grades etc
Original post by jeerin200.4
Hi so I got my GCSEs and it was much lower than my predicted grades and what I was expecting, and I’m appealing some of my GCSEs

At the moment my GCSEs are

I got an 8 in chemistry gcse, and I’m appealing/retaking the two subjects I got 4s in.

Do Oxford care about my GCSEs? How important are my GCSEs to Oxford, will they determine if I get rejected or not even if I have a very good personal statement, good a level Grades etc

they will care about GCSEs more than personal statement but for Chemistry, not that much: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/761847/response/1824176/attach/2/Chemistry%20UCAS%20Form%20Grading%202020.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

for chemistry they use an equation to short list: 3 + (number of A*s at A-level) + GCSE modifier = max 9. Unless your GCSEs were achieved in a low performing school, your modifier would be 0. Department is asked to shortlist people who score a 7 or more - assuming you take 3 A-levels, the max you can get is 6. This isn't an issue though because someone found the exact data of applicants and people scoring 3s and 4s were still getting interviews because Chemistry still interviews 90% of applicants. You just need to make sure you get atleast A*A*A and do well in the interview.
Reply 2
Original post by leviticus.
they will care about GCSEs more than personal statement but for Chemistry, not that much: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/761847/response/1824176/attach/2/Chemistry%20UCAS%20Form%20Grading%202020.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

for chemistry they use an equation to short list: 3 + (number of A*s at A-level) + GCSE modifier = max 9. Unless your GCSEs were achieved in a low performing school, your modifier would be 0. Department is asked to shortlist people who score a 7 or more - assuming you take 3 A-levels, the max you can get is 6. This isn't an issue though because someone found the exact data of applicants and people scoring 3s and 4s were still getting interviews because Chemistry still interviews 90% of applicants. You just need to make sure you get atleast A*A*A and do well in the interview.

sorry I don’t really understand this could you explain in simpler terms please
Original post by jeerin200.4
sorry I don’t really understand this could you explain in simpler terms please

He's saying that you need to make sure you get high A-Level grades and are a good interviewee (which you will most likely get as 90% are interviewed) - your GCSEs don't really matter as much but they do still have some effect (could be used to decide between you and another application)
Reply 4
Original post by AmIReallyHere
He's saying that you need to make sure you get high A-Level grades and are a good interviewee (which you will most likely get as 90% are interviewed) - your GCSEs don't really matter as much but they do still have some effect (could be used to decide between you and another application)

Ohh I see thank you
Reply 5
Original post by AmIReallyHere

I probably won’t have a chance then as my GCSEs aren’t the typical straight 9s or 8s
For chemistry at Oxford GCSEs are probably somewhat less important because they interview most applicants anyway, as noted previously. You would need to be taking the relevant subjects though i.e. chemistry and maths, to A-level or equivalent. You should probably also plan to take a third science/maths subject (further maths or physics would probably be most relevant but biology would be fine as well) in order to make a competitive application.
Reply 7
ok
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending