The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Geography- Seneca

Hi all. Just wanted to know your thoughts about the Seneca course on GCSE AQA Geography? I was thinking about using it more for my revision, but not too sure about it- do you think it covers enough? Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by FerreroRocher06
Hi all. Just wanted to know your thoughts about the Seneca course on GCSE AQA Geography? I was thinking about using it more for my revision, but not too sure about it- do you think it covers enough? Thanks in advance :smile:

Hello, I am a current sixth form who took AQA Geo at GCSE and received a 9 in all papers, which leaves me with some experience to answer this question. I personally was encouraged by my teachers to use Seneca for tests we received in the year on specific units. I found them quite useful on the glacier and river topics that involve heavy memorizing especially of keywords. However, for the mocks and final exams I found Seneca to be too restrictive and not challenging enough, it helps to revise the keywords and diagrams with some active recall but does not push your essay skills far enough. It also does not cover all the options available in the curriculum and therefore the specific data and case study you revised in class are more important to look over. My best advice is to use a mix of resources that work best for you, make sure to use past papers to practice answering longer questions like the 9 markers, as well as the Paper 3 with the special booklet.
Hope this helps.
Original post by RomeoB
Hello, I am a current sixth form who took AQA Geo at GCSE and received a 9 in all papers, which leaves me with some experience to answer this question. I personally was encouraged by my teachers to use Seneca for tests we received in the year on specific units. I found them quite useful on the glacier and river topics that involve heavy memorizing especially of keywords. However, for the mocks and final exams I found Seneca to be too restrictive and not challenging enough, it helps to revise the keywords and diagrams with some active recall but does not push your essay skills far enough. It also does not cover all the options available in the curriculum and therefore the specific data and case study you revised in class are more important to look over. My best advice is to use a mix of resources that work best for you, make sure to use past papers to practice answering longer questions like the 9 markers, as well as the Paper 3 with the special booklet.
Hope this helps.

Okay, thanks for answering my question. Do you think it's good to help memorise case studies- that's what I'm looking to do- and if not Seneca, are there any other resources I can use? Thanks again :smile:
Original post by FerreroRocher06
Okay, thanks for answering my question. Do you think it's good to help memorise case studies- that's what I'm looking to do- and if not Seneca, are there any other resources I can use? Thanks again :smile:

Hey there!! I hope you don't mind me answering this- okay so basically when it comes to case studies you want to condense the information so so much into things that are actually important and that will give you marks. So what I did was having one flashcard dedicated to each case study. For example, you want to make sure that you know 3-4 things about social/economic/environmental factor and advantages and disadvantages. This is because you do have limited amount of time (in exam); you need to have 3/4 solid points ready for whatever case study the question may be asking about. 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐬𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧, 𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐬𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐈 𝐚𝐝𝐯𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮. When it comes to case studies you can try mindmaps, flashcards and much more ways - like Kahoot/Quizlet can work too. Although regarding Seneca, I would advise you write pointers down from Seneca as it is simplified but detailed. Hope it helps💕
(edited 2 years ago)
I found seneca useful for learning processes e.g. formation of a waterfall, but I found the case studies didn’t go into as much detail as we covered in class :smile: https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/geography-revision/gcse-aqa/ has some good resources for some of the AQA topics!
Original post by laurawatt
I found seneca useful for learning processes e.g. formation of a waterfall, but I found the case studies didn’t go into as much detail as we covered in class :smile: https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/geography-revision/gcse-aqa/ has some good resources for some of the AQA toOff

Off topic but I see you in nearly every geongraphy post - You're a superstar !!
Original post by laurawatt
I found seneca useful for learning processes e.g. formation of a waterfall, but I found the case studies didn’t go into as much detail as we covered in class :smile: https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/geography-revision/gcse-aqa/ has some good resources for some of the AQA topics!

Thanks for the info! Really helped! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending