The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Pa0703
Well done everyone, I'm so happy for you all! :smile:

Unfortunately I got downgraded. I was predicted all 9's and was working at 8's/9's all year so I'm not sure what happened. I am really disappointed as I put my absolute life and soul into my exams not just this year but my entire education. It's frustrating to know there's not much more I can do right now, but I'm definitely appealing.:frown:

Here are my grades:
English Language - 8 (actually my least fave subject?!)
English Literature - 7
French - 7
Music - 7
Maths - 6 (taking it at A level)
Triple Science Higher-
Biology - 6 (taking it at A level)
Chemistry - 6 (taking it at A level)
Physics - 6
Drama - 6

They are still really good grades, It's just not what I was expecting. I've worked really hard and care maybe a little bit too much about my education so getting the grades I wasn't hoping for was upsetting. Hopefully I can get the grades I deserve through the appeals process. :smile:xx
Reply 61
Original post by Pa0703
Well done everyone, I'm so happy for you all! :smile:

Unfortunately I got downgraded. I was predicted all 9's and was working at 8's/9's all year so I'm not sure what happened. I am really disappointed as I put my absolute life and soul into my exams not just this year but my entire education. It's frustrating to know there's not much more I can do right now, but I'm definitely appealing.:frown:

Here are my grades:
English Language - 8 (actually my least fave subject?!)
English Literature - 7
French - 7
Music - 7
Maths - 6 (taking it at A level)
Triple Science Higher-
Biology - 6 (taking it at A level)
Chemistry - 6 (taking it at A level)
Physics - 6
Drama - 6

Wow, that's not fair. Are you still able to take your A level subjects? Make sure to ask your school the grades used to determine your results they are legally obliged to give it to you. Your grades still look good but definitely appeal, you deserve more.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 62
English Language [AQA] 9
English Lit [AQA] 8
Biology [AQA] 8
Chemistry [AQA] 8
Physics [AQA] 8
Mathematics [Edexcel] 7
Religious Studies [OCR] 8
Sociology [AQA] 8
History [Edexcel] 9
French [AQA] 7

i feel like i did great considering how hard me and other students agreed how hard our school made the exams but i could have done much better by revising earlier...
Reply 63
Original post by GTT21
Wow, that's not fair. Are you still able to take your A level subjects? Make sure to ask your school the grades used to determine your results they are legally obliged to give it to you. Your grades still look good but definitely appeal, you deserve more.

Yes, thankfully I am still able to take my A level subjects but I'm just disappointed as I feel I deserve a lot better. I also have high aspirations such as applying to Oxford for Medicine and being downgraded has really reduced my chances even more to get in. I've asked my school what evidence has been used to determine grades but they weren't very helpful and told me what assessments were used but no indication of marks and grades. Since March our teachers have done everything they can to not disclose grades only marks in assessments. My school has all my evidence on our online system which I now do not have access to therefore, I cannot access that evidence. There has been no indication from my school the way in which they have decided my grades as there are no grade boundaries. I honestly only trust my teachers in knowing what to do and I really want to email them to ask if they have my evidence as I haven't seen them since May but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that. It's honestly driving me insane and I do not understand how they've done this to me. I'm going to try my best to appeal and hopefully they accept the appeal under the grounds on unreasonable academic judgement.
French Higher [EDEXCEL]: 9
Geography B [EDEXCEL]: 9
Mathematics Higher [EDEXCEL]: 7
Religious Studies A [EDEXCEL]: 9
Art, Craft & Design [AQA]: 8
Biology Higher [AQA]: 7
Chemistry Higher [AQA]: 7
Physics Higher [AQA: 8
English Language [AQA]: 9
English Literature [AQA]: 9

Honestly, I surprised myself with some of these grades.. I don't think I tried hard enough when doing revision and I don't think I really gave my all so seeing these grades was a relief.

However, I know that the grades were teacher-assessed this year so the grades could've been inflated (?). Knowing that, I don't know if I truly deserved the grades that I got? And did I barely scrape a 7 in Maths (because I totally suck at it)?

Advice to Year 10s would definitely be to revise quite early on if you can (something I should try in sixth form) and to not leave it till last minute! I'm not going to lie, I did not do sufficient revision for a lot of these (especially science :s:) so these teacher-assessed grades were probably a blessing..
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Pa0703
Yes, thankfully I am still able to take my A level subjects but I'm just disappointed as I feel I deserve a lot better. I also have high aspirations such as applying to Oxford for Medicine and being downgraded has really reduced my chances even more to get in. I've asked my school what evidence has been used to determine grades but they weren't very helpful and told me what assessments were used but no indication of marks and grades. Since March our teachers have done everything they can to not disclose grades only marks in assessments. My school has all my evidence on our online system which I now do not have access to therefore, I cannot access that evidence. There has been no indication from my school the way in which they have decided my grades as there are no grade boundaries. I honestly only trust my teachers in knowing what to do and I really want to email them to ask if they have my evidence as I haven't seen them since May but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that. It's honestly driving me insane and I do not understand how they've done this to me. I'm going to try my best to appeal and hopefully they accept the appeal under the grounds on unreasonable academic judgement.

You need to appeal, it's strange they're not giving you grades or how the grade was finalised, as I said before they're legally obliged to. Go on your school website and find out the centre policy.
Reply 66
Copying out the template here but:

ENGLISH LANGUAGE (Edexcel): Predicted 8 / Personal Target 9 / Achieved 9

ENGLISH LITERATURE (Edexcel I think): Predicted 7 / Personal Target 8 / Achieved 7

History (edexcel): Predicted 7 / Personal Target 9 / Achieved 9

Combined Trilogy Science (AQA): Predicted 6-7 / Personal Target 6-6 / Achieved 6-6

Mathematics (AQA): Predicted 6 / Personal Target 4 / Achieved 5

Business Studies (Edexcel): Predicted 7 Personal Target 8 / Achieved 8

Photography (I don't know which exam board we went with as our exam was cancelled): Predicted 3 / Personal Target 4 / Achieved 4

What are your future plans?

A-level History, English Language, Psychology and the EPQ course.

Hopefully, if I pass my A-levels, I can get into the university I want and then go on to do criminology :smile:

Comments/Reflection

Although I'm really happy with my results - I think I should have tried harder in the revision area as I didn't really do it much for anything other than the subjects I was already good at. So for anyone reading this that wants any advice: I know it's repeated through everyone else but REVISE especially the subjects you don't like.
Original post by _gcx

GCSE Results Day (12th August 2021) - Post Your Results!

GCSE results day is coming around so it's time for our yearly Post Your Results thread. You can use this thread to let us know how you get on and celebrate your accomplishments!

Didn't do as well as you hoped? There's no need to worry - there are always alternatives. Get advice from the community here.

This year, like last year, is unusual in that no formal exams were sat, so there are no "remarks" per se. The FAQ on appeals and resits can be found here.

Good luck and we hope everyone ends up on a path they're happy with!

You can use this template to post your results:

Subject [Exam Board]: Predicted ? / Personal Target ? / Achieved ?

A-levels? BTECs? Apprenticeship?

What grades do you need (if applicable)?

Comments/Reflection

How do you feel about your results? What advice would you give to someone in Year 10 or just starting GCSEs?

*Achieved Results in Bold*

Business Enterprise [Edexcel BTEC L2]: P2/*2/*2
Digital Information Technology [Edexcel BTEC L2]: P2/*2/*2
English Literature Option N [Edexcel GCSE]: 6/9/9
Portuguese Option H [Edexcel GCSE]: 9/9/9, Speaking Distinction
Physics Option H [Edexcel GCSE]: 6/9/9
Mathematics A Option H [Edexcel IGCSE]: 6/8/9
Geography [AQA GCSE]: 6/7/9
French Tier H [AQA GCSE]: 6/7/9, Speaking Distinction
First Language Opt AS [CIE GCSE]: 6/9/9

Future plans are to study A-levels, specifically: Maths, FMaths, Economics [IB HL Certificate] (would've preferred to do a level but no other choice), Geography. Then plan to go to a good uni to study Economics.

What grades do you need (if applicable)?
At least: 7 in Maths, 4 in Geography, 4 in English Lang, and in general at least 5 grade 4s in subjects overall

Comments/Reflection
Extremely happy with my grades, however rather regretful of my GCSE choices, specifically choosing BTECs which didn't really teach me anything and won't really benefit me at all in the future.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Lin Beifong
I got
Biology - 7
Physics - 7
Chemistry - 6
RE - 7
Maths - 5
Eng language and literature both - 7
Geography - 7
sociology - 7
textiles - 6

I honestly don't know how to feel about these :frown:, everyone is getting 8s and 9s (but I'm happy for you guys, well done)

I think it’s good enough ( you could have done better as there is always room for improvement) but remember GCSEs are just a stepping stone for a levels. What a levels are you doing?
English language: A
English literature: C (did in year 10)
Science double award: CB
Maths: B
Numeracy: B
NBQ: B
Media studies: B
ICT: A
Music: A
Welsh: C
Combined sciences 7,7
Maths 8
Eng language 7
Eng literature 7
Computing 7
Geography 7
History 7
RS 7
Spanish 6

I was expecting a few more 8s so I was a bit disappointed at this result. My mom is also not very happy with this result. She is worrying too much about the university admissions and that makes me wonder about my prospects for applying to top universities. I am going to study Maths, Economics and Computer Science in A levels. Not sure if I should Further Maths to improve my chances or focus on these 3 subjects.
Reply 71
Original post by Momabear786
Combined sciences 7,7
Maths 8
Eng language 7
Eng literature 7
Computing 7
Geography 7
History 7
RS 7
Spanish 6

I was expecting a few more 8s so I was a bit disappointed at this result. My mom is also not very happy with this result. She is worrying too much about the university admissions and that makes me wonder about my prospects for applying to top universities. I am going to study Maths, Economics and Computer Science in A levels. Not sure if I should Further Maths to improve my chances or focus on these 3 subjects.

Honestly you're grades are amazing, stop comparing your grades to others their grades might be true, or the cheated, or their grades got inflated a lot. You got mostly As be happy for your results. Universities barely care for gcses, it's a levels you've got to think about. All top uni's usually say 7s and above sometimes 6s, so you'll be fine. If you enjoy further maths then go for it, if you're doing further maths to improve your chance for uni even though most top unis don't acknowledge a 4th subject then don't do it. To be honest, the subjects you took are fine. Remember your grades are better than the majority be happy for it!!!
Reply 72
Combined science - 87
English language - 8
English literature - 7
German - 7
History - 9
Maths - 7
Media studies - 9
Religious studies - 9
Creative iMedia - L2D

Decently happy with these, would have preferred higher in English lit and German but oh well lol also, my school literally hasn't gave use the grades we got for our speaking components (both English language and German) which is so strange
Original post by NyxicPetrichor
Mathematics [IGCSE Edexcel]: 9 (I did this early in January so I got to sit an actual paper!!)
English Language [AQA]: 9
History [AQA]: 9
Science [AQA Double Award]: 9-9
French [AQA]: 8
Computer Science [OCR]: 8
Religious Education [Eduqas WJEC]: 7

I've also got an OCR FSMQ qualification from last year (because I did it a year early) and I got a B under the teacher predicted results.

I'm so happy with these results - my mum expected a few more 9s and didn't like the 7, but she's so uber-strict and has unreachable expectations (I'm going to ignore her).

I plan to study Maths and Further Maths, English Language and Computer Science at A-Level (I know 4 is hard but I'm going to try my best).

My ultimate plan is to study Mathematics and Computer Science at Oxford!!

How did everyone else do??

THIS, omg how this is so good, bye your my internet role model now lol, quick question, can you help me, like give me some tips on how you got 8's and 9's please!
Original post by thatonegirllate
THIS, omg how this is so good, bye your my internet role model now lol, quick question, can you help me, like give me some tips on how you got 8's and 9's please!

Hi, I am not OP but also got all 9s. I would recommend revising well for mocks as if they were the real thing, as they are both good practice and a head start on revision for the actual exams. I would HIGHLY recommend going over the specification for each subject and making sure you know and understand all of the content - my method was to copy the spec into a word document and basically treat it as questions, answering underneath with my own knowledge and then filling in the rest with notes/the internet. You could also turn the parts you are not strong at into flash cards. When it comes to revising for actual GCSEs, it is useless to *just* write out notes - as well as this I would suggest active recall. Try to find your preferred method as soon as possible, whether it be flash cards, practice questions, or something else - it’s different for each person. For any essay subjects you are taking, I found timing much more of an issue so definitely do as many timed essays as you can to work out how much you can write in the time - for me the issue wasn’t having enough to write, but instead having too much to write, so it is important to be able to pick out the correct amount of relevant information for the exam.For non-essay subjects try to do past papers - you can find them all online. Also if you are taking biology look at mark schemes because they ask for very specific words to get marks...Good luck for your exams, but remember GCSEs are not the be all and end all of your education, they are just a stepping stone to the next stage of life so don’t stress too much!! Hope this helps!
Original post by Ham3a_
Can I ask how you revised for both your english exams.
I'm in year 10 and most worried about those so some tips would be great!

Not OP but got same grades - for Eng Lang look at example answers and try to copy their structure as much as possible into your own practice essays until you can do it automatically (I know it sounds bad but honestly we weren’t really taught how to answer so it was very helpful for me). Also timings are difficult, so practice timed questions.
For Eng Lit - find out what main themes are (either through teachers or sparknotes/internet) and main characters and make a mind map on each with a lot of quotes and analysis. Then carefully pick 2/3 (short) quotes from each mindmap that are as broad as possible (ie link many characters/themes) and also have multiple interpretations. That way you can have in depth analysis without having to memorise too much and there should be some quotes that work for every possible question. Also if possible, listen to audiobooks etc as much as possible - it really helped me to memorise more quotes.
(Not sure which exam board you have but this might be applicable anyway) For the poems its basically impossible to memorise all of them unless you have incredibly memory, so instead I learnt Ozymandias and My Last Duchess very in depth as they can be linked to everything, and learnt the rest less in depth as you get given one poem and have to quote the other from memory. ie: I had the memory aid of the provided poem to remember basic analysis on it, but basically just treated it as unseen. For Q2 of the unseen I would link whatever poem I had to either MLD or Ozymandias. Remember not to just learn the analysis of the poem but also how they link together - I used mindmaps to visualise this.
For unseen poetry I approached it the same as Eng Language - my top tip is find quotes with two or three meanings and explain these in depth, instead of doing surface level analysis for the whole poem.
Good luck and I hope this helps!!
Reply 76
Maths - 9
Further Maths - 9
Eng Lang - 9
Eng Lit - 9
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 9
Physics - 9
Computing - 9
German - 9
History - 9
Latin - 9
Greek - 9
and throw in
German Speaking Endorsement - Distinction
English Speaking Endorsement - Distinction

Obviously, I'm extremely happy to receive these results and I couldn't have wished for better. I think the slightly increased number of 9s might have helped a little bit here :smile:

I'm planning to do: Computing, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry at A level (with Electronics as an AS)

After that, hopefully, I'll get into Cambridge to either do Engineering or Computer Science

If I want to say anything that isn't a usual piece of advice, I would say, as awkward as it can be at times, helping teach other people (1 to 1) is one of the most effective methods to learn. I helped teach someone many of my topics (that we overlapped) and it not only makes revision a lot more fun as you have someone to do it with, but you can also gain a much better understanding of a topic, subject, or text when going through it aloud
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by usamaro
Maths - 9
Further Maths - 9
Eng Lang - 9
Eng Lit - 9
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 9
Physics - 9
Computing - 9
German - 9
History - 9
Latin - 9
Greek - 9
and throw in
German Speaking Endorsement - Distinction
English Speaking Endorsement - Distinction

Obviously, I'm extremely happy to receive these results and I couldn't have wished for better. I think the slightly increased number of 9s might have helped a little bit here :smile:

I'm planning to do: Computing, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry at A level (with Electronics as an AS)

After that, hopefully, I'll get into Cambridge to either do Engineering or Computer Science

If I want to say anything that isn't a usual piece of advice, I would say, as awkward as it can be at times, helping teach other people (1 to 1) is one of the most effective methods to learn. I helped teach someone many of my topics (that we overlapped) and it not only makes revision a lot more fun as you have someone to do it with, but you can also gain a much better understanding of a topic, subject, or text when going through it aloud

if GCSEs were a video game everyone would think you were hacking, those results are insane. well done!
Here goes,

Mathematics - 7
English language - 7
English Literature - 7
Science (Combined) - 77
French - 5
History - 7
Computer Science - 8
Health and Social Care - M2
Arabic - 8
Religious Education - 8

To be honest I am not completely mad about them considering I came to the UK (from Saudi Arabia) 4 months before the pandemic/lockdown so I was pretty much clueless and still trying to navigate my surroundings and their system. However there is still the slight disappointment that comes and goes, but at the end of the day here's what I got and it can't be changed.
Original post by Shrubby:)
Here goes,

Mathematics - 7
English language - 7
English Literature - 7
Science (Combined) - 77
French - 5
History - 7
Computer Science - 8
Health and Social Care - M2
Arabic - 8
Religious Education - 8

To be honest I am not completely mad about them considering I came to the UK (from Saudi Arabia) 4 months before the pandemic/lockdown so I was pretty much clueless and still trying to navigate my surroundings and their system. However there is still the slight disappointment that comes and goes, but at the end of the day here's what I got and it can't be changed.

You did really well. Better than at least 90% of students.

Latest