The Student Room Group

University of Birmingham A100 2022 entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for Birmingham A100.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about Birmingham.
:biggrin:

Welcome to the Birmingham A100 2022 Entry Discussion.
OIP.jpg
Birmingham A100 2021 thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560544

Birmingham A100 2020 thread:*https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6022346

For general information click:*https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr.../medicine.aspx

For entry requirements click:*https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools...programme.aspx

Birmingham A100 / A101 2021 Offer Holders thread:*https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6955236

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

I am a current 2nd year medical student here at Birmingham Medical school so if you have any questions do ask!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A_J_B
Welcome to the Birmingham A100 2022 Entry Discussion.
OIP.jpg
Birmingham A100 2021 thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560544

Birmingham A100 2020 thread:*https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6022346

For general information click:*https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr.../medicine.aspx

For entry requirements click:*https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools...programme.aspx

Birmingham A100 / A101 2021 Offer Holders thread:*https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6955236

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

I am a current 2nd year medical student here at Birmingham Medical school so if you have any questions do ask!

Hey,
I just did my UCAT today and got 2870 B2. My GCSE's are 99999998877 but I score no contextual points. Would I still be likely to be considered for an interview? A bit worried as 20% of the selection process is contextual but I wouldn't get any points for this.
Reply 2
Hi!I scored 2670 in my UCAT, but B3 in SJT (!)... based on the offer calc I am 'likely' to receive an interview. I just wanted to ask how SJT comes into the interview, and if B3 would put me at a disadvantage?Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by abi003
Hi!I scored 2670 in my UCAT, but B3 in SJT (!)... based on the offer calc I am 'likely' to receive an interview. I just wanted to ask how SJT comes into the interview, and if B3 would put me at a disadvantage?Thank you!

SJT is used as 25% of post interview scoring, so would majorly disadvantage you
Reply 4
Original post by shussain4
Hey,
I just did my UCAT today and got 2870 B2. My GCSE's are 99999998877 but I score no contextual points. Would I still be likely to be considered for an interview? A bit worried as 20% of the selection process is contextual but I wouldn't get any points for this.

Post on the which med school to apply to thread with a full breakdown of stats
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6679038
Reply 5
Also as a side note, I would be wary of what the offer calculator says- it has been notoriously unreliable in the past often telling people who score below the cutoff that they are likely to be shortlisted
hey @A_J_B (or anyone who studies at birmingham), i am thinking about maybe applying so i just have a few questions.

-is brum a nice place to live? like are there nice places to go on a stroll, are there good hangout spots etc?
-how is the accomodation at the uni?
-is it expensive to live there?
-any downsides to studying there?

thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by dinomedic
hey @A_J_B (or anyone who studies at birmingham), i am thinking about maybe applying so i just have a few questions.

-is brum a nice place to live? like are there nice places to go on a stroll, are there good hangout spots etc?
-how is the accomodation at the uni?
-is it expensive to live there?
-any downsides to studying there?

thank you!

Birmingham is a lovely place to live in. The university is located in the Harborne/Edgbaston/Selly oak region and there are lots of walkways and parks you can access. Edgbaston is also one of the leafiest areas you can find!
I live at home nearby but my friends who used to live in halls quite liked it-Ashcroft is closest to the med school (5 min walk), whereas most of the others are in the Vale which is farther away from the med school.
Housing costs-most of my friends who have moved into student houses are paying about 120-130 pounds per week bills included. Food here is also not super expensive so overall far cheaper than London yet you have the big city vibe.

Only downside is the anatomy teaching-however there are societies like Anatomy soc that you can join which provide helpful teaching sessions. Anatomy is mostly rote learning so once you get used to the content it gets quite manageable-as opposed to something like Physiology and Pharmacology which requires more conceptual understanding.

Tagging other medics here

@Sh_A @a-aron
Original post by A_J_B
Birmingham is a lovely place to live in. The university is located in the Harborne/Edgbaston/Selly oak region and there are lots of walkways and parks you can access. Edgbaston is also one of the leafiest areas you can find!
I live at home nearby but my friends who used to live in halls quite liked it-Ashcroft is closest to the med school (5 min walk), whereas most of the others are in the Vale which is farther away from the med school.
Housing costs-most of my friends who have moved into student houses are paying about 120-130 pounds per week bills included. Food here is also not super expensive so overall far cheaper than London yet you have the big city vibe.

Only downside is the anatomy teaching-however there are societies like Anatomy soc that you can join which provide helpful teaching sessions. Anatomy is mostly rote learning so once you get used to the content it gets quite manageable-as opposed to something like Physiology and Pharmacology which requires more conceptual understanding.

@Sh_A @a-aron

thank you so much, good luck with your studies :smile:
Original post by A_J_B

@Sh_A @a-aron

Hiya, I was wondering what it's like living at home whilst at uni - do you feel like you miss out on much of uni life?
Also, what's wrong with anatomy teaching at Birmingham... I've heard quite a few people complain about it.

Thank you!
Reply 10
Original post by _Mia101
Hiya, I was wondering what it's like living at home whilst at uni - do you feel like you miss out on much of uni life?
Also, what's wrong with anatomy teaching at Birmingham... I've heard quite a few people complain about it.

Thank you!

Living at home is not too bad, I'm close to the campus so can pop in and meet friends .etc. pretty easily. At home you won't have flat-mates to hang out with all the time, but if you try and put yourself out there you can meet lots of people and I guess that's what really matters as you will move out of uni halls after first year anyway.

With anatomy teaching here, it's a bit poorly structured alongside the lectures. The depth of content covered is alright, and the demonstrators try their best and do a good job (especially last year with everything online). Also, the prosec sessions are a bit infrequent (last year a lot of them got cancelled due to COVID). So overall, it's a bit overwhelming at first, but you adapt and get used to it- but yes, Bham students are not known for good anatomy knowledge
Reply 11
Original post by _Mia101

Thank you!

As @A_J_B said, Bham students are known for being poor at anatomy. The university just unfortunately doesn't teach anatomy very well - you'll have small group sessions every week, and prosection twice a term, but that's it. The university does have massive virtual anatomy tables for you to interact with, but there are only 2 for the entire med school and it gets booked really quickly.

Anatomy in general is a subject that you get as much as you put into it - it's purely memorisation, hence why I suspect the university doesn't try very hard on it
Original post by A_J_B
Living at home is not too bad, I'm close to the campus so can pop in and meet friends .etc. pretty easily. At home you won't have flat-mates to hang out with all the time, but if you try and put yourself out there you can meet lots of people and I guess that's what really matters as you will move out of uni halls after first year anyway.

With anatomy teaching here, it's a bit poorly structured alongside the lectures. The depth of content covered is alright, and the demonstrators try their best and do a good job (especially last year with everything online). Also, the prosec sessions are a bit infrequent (last year a lot of them got cancelled due to COVID). So overall, it's a bit overwhelming at first, but you adapt and get used to it- but yes, Bham students are not known for good anatomy knowledge

Okay thank you :smile: - that's interesting to hear and quite reassuring re living at home. I'm not sure what year you are in but would you say it is possible to live at home in the later years?

Ah I see, thanks.

Original post by a-aron
As @A_J_B said, Bham students are known for being poor at anatomy. The university just unfortunately doesn't teach anatomy very well - you'll have small group sessions every week, and prosection twice a term, but that's it. The university does have massive virtual anatomy tables for you to interact with, but there are only 2 for the entire med school and it gets booked really quickly.

Anatomy in general is a subject that you get as much as you put into it - it's purely memorisation, hence why I suspect the university doesn't try very hard on it

Thank you - this is very useful :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by _Mia101
Okay thank you :smile: - that's interesting to hear and quite reassuring re living at home. I'm not sure what year you are in but would you say it is possible to live at home in the later years?

Ah I see, thanks.

Thank you - this is very useful :smile:

It's actually much easier to live at home in clinical years!

Since everyone is out at different hospitals, and the hospitals are spread out across the West Midlands, you rarely return to the medical school, so there isn't a need to actually live nearby. Especially if you can drive, makes living at home super easy!
Reply 14
Hi,
Im a nursing graduate applying for the A100 at UoB for 2022. What are the entry requirements for mature/graduate students e.g. the UCAT scores or any GCSE A Level requirements. Thanks in advance
Reply 15
Is Birmingham a good university
Reply 16
Original post by Slyfox2
Is Birmingham a good university

Yes
ucat-2680 band 3
GCSE-999999886
A levels-A*A*A(achieved)
do I have a good chance of getting an interview?
Reply 18
Original post by CRAY!
Hi,
Im a nursing graduate applying for the A100 at UoB for 2022. What are the entry requirements for mature/graduate students e.g. the UCAT scores or any GCSE A Level requirements. Thanks in advance

There's a very helpful section on the applying to medicine website on the main Birmingham website. I'll quote it here and highlight the most relevant bits:

Graduates

The course is designed for school leavers but in previous years we have accepted about 5-10 graduates on to the programme. Please note international graduates will be considered according to the mechanism described for international applicants

Degree: Achieved or predicted first or upper second class degree in any subject from a recognised institution. Please contact us if you are unsure if we will consider your non-UK institution

School qualifications: GCSE minimum of grade A/B in Science, English and Mathematics; A Levels minimum of ABB, including, normally, both Biology and Chemistry. If you offer a degree with biomedical science content at a level greater than 50% we will require only one of Biology or Chemistry

You must offer a relevant qualification (i.e. of minimum A Level standard relating to biology and chemistry) that is no more than 5 years old by the start date of the programme
Academic results will not be scored. Applicants who meet the threshold academic requirements described above will be ranked according to UCAT score. For 2020 entry, the minimum UCAT score among the graduates accepted for interview was 2660

The personal statement must describe evidence of a high level of commitment to medicine (particularly through voluntary experiences) and strong personal qualities, evidenced by significant and substantial extracurricular involvement. We recognise that face-to-face experiences may not be offered subsequent to the impact of COVID-19

Life Science graduates may be eligible for our graduate-entry course (see 'Entry Requirements MBChB Graduate-Entry. Qualified dentists who have completed MJDF/MFDS and who wish to pursue a career in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery may be admitted to the second year of this course if spaces are available

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/entry-requirements-five-year-programme.aspx
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by dhillon1
Hello, would you happen to know how strict the University of Birmingham are on what type of Life Science degree the applicants has? Is it even worth applying with a top decile UCAT and a high application scoring criteria if I have a healthcare degree they list as not accepted?

No. As they would not list it as not accepted, if they actually were willing to accept it?

Quick Reply