The Student Room Group

Does resting on the day of the Sabbath involve worship?

Where in the Bible say that the day of worship need to be the same as the day of rest?
Original post by SlaveofAll
Where in the Bible say that the day of worship need to be the same as the day of rest?

I don't think it says so as such, but it's patterned here and there, and it makes sense that resting "from" secular affairs goes with resting "to" spiritual, looking forward to eternal rest in heaven etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Justvisited
I don't think it says so as such, but it's patterned here and there, and it makes sense that resting "from" secular affairs goes with resting "to" spiritual, looking forward to eternal rest in heaven etc.

If I got it correctly, worshipping on the Sabbath seems to include lighting lamps and candles for services beforehand, which would otherwise be a no-no in the rules on Sabbath.
If I got it correctly, worshipping on the Sabbath seems to include lighting lamps and candles for services beforehand, which would otherwise be a no-no in the rules on Sabbath.

If you mean in a Jewish context, 'resting' doesn't mean literally resting and doing nothing but abstaining from acts of creation and it gets hugely complicated about what is permitted or not; there's reams of scholarship on this and it's not just what someone thinks is 'rest'. You can have a look here if you want to see how complex it gets https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/39_Melachot. So it is prohibited to plant seeds, even if someone finds gardening restful and relaxing, or even spiritual!

We light Shabbat candles before Shabbat actually starts (ie, before sundown). If you observe Shabbat, you wouldn't light the candles after sundown.
Reply 4
Original post by becausethenight
If you mean in a Jewish context, 'resting' doesn't mean literally resting and doing nothing but abstaining from acts of creation and it gets hugely complicated about what is permitted or not; there's reams of scholarship on this and it's not just what someone thinks is 'rest'. You can have a look here if you want to see how complex it gets https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/39_Melachot. So it is prohibited to plant seeds, even if someone finds gardening restful and relaxing, or even spiritual!

We light Shabbat candles before Shabbat actually starts (ie, before sundown). If you observe Shabbat, you wouldn't light the candles after sundown.

That's a wonderful insight, but where in the Bible does the day of Sabbath require worship?
That's a wonderful insight, but where in the Bible does the day of Sabbath require worship?

It’s commanded in Exodus in the Torah.
I have no idea what its status is Christianity.
Reply 6
Original post by becausethenight
It’s commanded in Exodus in the Torah.
I have no idea what its status is Christianity.

From what I recalled, the commandment in Exodus only requires rest, not necessarily worship.
If you want an answer from a Christian perspective:
Servile work - ie work you do for other people's benefit - is prohibited on Sundays. We aren't Pharisees and so we don't say "you can't light a fire, but you can pay someone to do that for you". What we do believe is that Sundays should be days of worship, rest and recreation, and so we say that working for other people goes against that and shouldn't be done on Sunday.

Obviously there are exceptions to this; for instance, policemen can obviously work on Sunday, and a charity could give out food on a Sunday, but generally speaking "rest" means "not working for other people".
Reply 8
Original post by Louis IX
If you want an answer from a Christian perspective:
Servile work - ie work you do for other people's benefit - is prohibited on Sundays. We aren't Pharisees and so we don't say "you can't light a fire, but you can pay someone to do that for you". What we do believe is that Sundays should be days of worship, rest and recreation, and so we say that working for other people goes against that and shouldn't be done on Sunday.

Obviously there are exceptions to this; for instance, policemen can obviously work on Sunday, and a charity could give out food on a Sunday, but generally speaking "rest" means "not working for other people".

Sunday is usually the first day of the week, while the Sabbath is the seventh day, so applying the rules of the Sabbath for the first day of the week seems counter-intuitive.
Sunday is usually the first day of the week, while the Sabbath is the seventh day, so applying the rules of the Sabbath for the first day of the week seems counter-intuitive.

Sunday is a day of rest and worship in Christianity because Jesus rose from the dead on a Sunday.
Original post by Louis IX
Sunday is a day of rest and worship in Christianity because Jesus rose from the dead on a Sunday.

Of course it is, but I'm talking about the extent of the command in Exodus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending