The Student Room Group

Biology - systematic sampling

Can someone please give me like two or three specific ecological examples of when systematic sampling would be used
Systematic sampling is used when you're measuring how species abundance or biodiversity changes with a change in an abiotic factor. For example: measuring the abundance of seaweed as you go from a higher depth of water to a shallow depth (as in from a certain depth in the sea till you reach the shore). Also across sand dunes or measuring the number of species in each quadrant as you go from a path outwards to see how species richness/biodiversity changes with trampling.
Sorry if this makes no sense lol I haven't looked at this since May, but hopefully it was somewhat helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by kaorimiyazono
Systematic sampling is used when you're measuring how species abundance or biodiversity changes with a change in an abiotic factor. For example: measuring the abundance of seaweed as you go from a higher depth of water to a shallow depth (as in from a certain depth in the sea till you reach the shore). Also across sand dunes or measuring the number of species in each quadrant as you go from a path outwards to see how species richness/biodiversity changes with trampling.
Sorry if this makes no sense lol I haven't looked at this since May, but hopefully it was somewhat helpful.

Tysm, it did make sense to me a bit
What does it mean by ecological examples of systematic sampling?

When you said 'also across sand dunes...' thats a different example right?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by zarahh09
Tysm, it did make sense to me a bit
What does it mean by ecological examples of systematic sampling?

When you said 'also across sand dunes...' thats a different example right?

Yeah across the sand dunes was a separate example cuz you can use systematic sampling to see how species distribution/richness/abundance changes depending on whether you're at the top of a sand dune or in between the sand dunes.
'Ecological' just means relating to living organisms and their environment/surroundings.
Reply 4
Original post by kaorimiyazono
Yeah across the sand dunes was a separate example cuz you can use systematic sampling to see how species distribution/richness/abundance changes depending on whether you're at the top of a sand dune or in between the sand dunes.
'Ecological' just means relating to living organisms and their environment/surroundings.

tysm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending