The Student Room Group

What kind of books do you read?

I'm bored so I decided to make this thread.
I want to get into books and all kinds of genres.

Scroll to see replies

This is a little list
Career preparation books
Travel books
Story books
Books that teach you a new skill etc
The Bible
Poetry books occasionally
Textbooks now and again
Lol. Do you read books for fun?
Original post by tinygirl96
This is a little list
Career preparation books
Travel books
Story books
Books that teach you a new skill etc
The Bible
Poetry books occasionally
Textbooks now and again

Story books - what genre?
Original post by girlpersonhuman
Story books - what genre?

Any
Read the Quran
I read fantasy, science fiction, and historical fiction, mostly. The last book I read was Thud! by Terry Pratchett, which was a hoot. Some of my favourites are The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin, Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, and Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Oh also I read The Goldfinch recently, which was fun but also kind of wound me up.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I read fantasy, science fiction, and historical fiction, mostly. The last book I read was Thud! by Terry Pratchett, which was a hoot. Some of my favourites are The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin, Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, and Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Oh also I read The Goldfinch recently, which was fun but also kind of wound me up.

Ooo! Are these all the same genre?
I like historical fiction, and mystery. Hate autobiographies with a burning passion
Almost all book genres except science fiction and dystopian.
My favourites are horror, thrillers, historical fiction, mystery, recipe books, romance and most non-fiction (that does not involve tanks, trains or the military).
I receive advance copies of new releases as part of my work and also get sent free copies of books to review.
Original post by londonmyst
Almost all book genres except science fiction and dystopian.
My favourites are horror, thrillers, historical fiction, mystery, recipe books, romance and most non-fiction (that does not involve tanks, trains or the military).
I receive advance copies of new releases as part of my work and also get sent free copies of books to review.

That sounds exciting

Any book recommendations from your favorite genres?
I love classics, some sci-fi, P. G. Wodehouse novels, and nonfiction books about ancient history and linguistics among other things
Ooo! Are these all the same genre?

No, not exactly. They're all a bit fantastical and escapist but that's all you can really say. Thud! is a sort of comedy/fantasy/satire novel about a police chief trying to solve a murder and defuse a race war, which sounds serious but it really isn't. Btw if you start reading Terry Pratchett novels you might never stop, just saying.

The Dispossessed is sci-fi, but it's not actually about sci-fi; mostly it's about society and specifically anarcho-syndicalism. It follows two planets - one fairly similar to ours, and the other a utopia (?) where people don't own possessions. I haven't read anyone who can write about cultures more convincingly and insightfully than Le Guin. Can't recommend this one enough.

Snow Crash is a rollicking adventure set in the near future - all very cyberpunk. It's funny and exciting and very hammy. Also bizarrely philosophical sometimes. Neal Stephenson has written some other books that I really like too but those ones are enormous and don't really respect the reader's time in a way, whereas Snow Crash is nicely condensed.

Wolf Hall is a brilliantly rendered historical fiction, without too much fiction, that follows Henry VIII's right-hand man, Thomas Cromwell.

And finally The Goldfinch is about a kid (eventually grown-up) who accidentally steals a priceless painting and winds up in a huge pickle. I say it wound me up because he keeps telling fibs and if he was just more honest with people everything would get sorted out really quickly - he's sort of his own worst enemy.

Anyway I hope you wind up reading some of these - enjoy!
That sounds exciting

Any book recommendations from your favorite genres?

The Devil's Prayer by Luke Gracias.
A fantastic horror book that I was up all night reading. Seconds after finishing it after seeing the shadow of a neighbours cat wandering around after midnight and then its shiny eyes through my living room window I almost scared myself half to death. :biggrin:

The Beta Mum: Adventures in Alpha Land by Isabella Davidson is a fun and amusing read.
If you like historical fiction, Katherine by Anya Seton and The Sixth Wife by Suzannah Dunn are great reads.
Mirror, Mirror by Jessica Jesinghaus is a fantastic thriller.
As are Sleepless by Gina Salamon and Sleepless by Gina Salamon.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Philosophy
Religious stuff
Classic Russian stuff
Political stuff
Not massive on Sci fi, romance, or fantasy but will give most other stuff a go
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
No, not exactly. They're all a bit fantastical and escapist but that's all you can really say. Thud! is a sort of comedy/fantasy/satire novel about a police chief trying to solve a murder and defuse a race war, which sounds serious but it really isn't. Btw if you start reading Terry Pratchett novels you might never stop, just saying.

The Dispossessed is sci-fi, but it's not actually about sci-fi; mostly it's about society and specifically anarcho-syndicalism. It follows two planets - one fairly similar to ours, and the other a utopia (?) where people don't own possessions. I haven't read anyone who can write about cultures more convincingly and insightfully than Le Guin. Can't recommend this one enough.

Snow Crash is a rollicking adventure set in the near future - all very cyberpunk. It's funny and exciting and very hammy. Also bizarrely philosophical sometimes. Neal Stephenson has written some other books that I really like too but those ones are enormous and don't really respect the reader's time in a way, whereas Snow Crash is nicely condensed.

Wolf Hall is a brilliantly rendered historical fiction, without too much fiction, that follows Henry VIII's right-hand man, Thomas Cromwell.

And finally The Goldfinch is about a kid (eventually grown-up) who accidentally steals a priceless painting and winds up in a huge pickle. I say it wound me up because he keeps telling fibs and if he was just more honest with people everything would get sorted out really quickly - he's sort of his own worst enemy.

Anyway I hope you wind up reading some of these - enjoy!

Thank you for the recommendations. :smile:
The Dispossessed sounds really interesting. The part about writing a convincing story with extraterrestrial worlds really caught my attention.
Original post by londonmyst
The Devil's Prayer by Luke Gracias.
A fantastic horror book that I was up all night reading. Seconds after finishing it after seeing the shadow of a neighbours cat wandering around after midnight and then its shiny eyes through my living room window I almost scared myself half to death. :biggrin:

The Beta Mum: Adventures in Alpha Land by Isabella Davidson is a fun and amusing read.
If you like historical fiction, Katherine by Anya Seton and The Sixth Wife by Suzannah Dunn are great reads.
Mirror, Mirror by Jessica Jesinghaus is a fantastic thriller.
As are Sleepless by Gina Salamon and Sleepless by Gina Salamon.

I have not read any horror or thriller books :smile: But I will surely give it a shot.
I normally don't watch horror/thriller movies either because I don't have the courage, but books might help slowly introduce these genres.
Mostly academic chapters & papers, related to engineering.

I would rather watch Netflix for fiction tbh.
(edited 2 years ago)
I have not read any horror or thriller books :smile: But I will surely give it a shot.
I normally don't watch horror/thriller movies either because I don't have the courage, but books might help slowly introduce these genres.

I'm exactly the same. Or thrillers are okay, but why would I want to watch horrible things happen to people? I don't see the appeal :s-smilie:
I'm bored so I decided to make this thread.
I want to get into books and all kinds of genres.

idk if you’ve seen the last kingdom on Netflix, if not you should it’s really good, but I’m reading the books for that & that’s historical fiction
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending