The Student Room Group

The Manchester United Thread XXIII

Scroll to see replies

A lot of Man United fans not thinking about this properly. You have signed a 36 year old striker on 500k a week, when you already have a 34 year Edinson Cavani on 300k a week and Martial on 200k a week.

This guy will hinder Greenwood's development too.

Bad signing, you should have signed Kane instead if you were going to buy a striker, and not renewed Cavani's contract.

Anyway, I don't mind, you guys will still end up finishing 4th anyway.

Ronaldo isn't quick anymore, he doesn't suit your style of play either. The only positive is the commercial success of this 2 year deal.

This is coming from a Ronaldo fan by the way.
Original post by NJA
Some city fans was saying they don't want him anyway he's like soiled goods to them.

We still need a midfielder we are a maiginot line

A lot of City fans were buzzing about getting one over on United fans with this.

Ronaldo may be 36 years old but he’s still scored 30+ goals a season the last two years and is in fantastic shape. For £15m this could be an incredible signing for the next couple of years! Buzzing for the next home game on Sept 11
Remember City rejected him
Original post by Little pecker
Remember City rejected him

Lmao
Anyone who's watched Ronaldo play recently knows how good he still is

Very good signing all considered but still dont see you winning the league really
Reply 185
It's coming home

It really is.
Reply 186
I think the real reason he returned is he saw that Messi had a club he calls his own, Ronaldo wanted the same
Reply 187
Original post by Driving_Mad
A lot of Man United fans not thinking about this properly. You have signed a 36 year old striker on 500k a week, when you already have a 34 year Edinson Cavani on 300k a week and Martial on 200k a week.

Bad signing, you should have signed Kane instead if you were going to buy a striker, and not renewed Cavani's contract.

Ronaldo isn't quick anymore, he doesn't suit your style of play either. The only positive is the commercial success of this 2 year deal.

I think refering to his age, does a disservice to how much Ronaldo looks after himself. The man is an elite athlete who lives and breathes it. A lot of athletes are playing near peak at later ages, just also thinking Tom Brady and Federer for example.

I do agree with the above regarding resources/squad. Obviously this was opportunistic and in hindsight, the Cavani deal probably doesn't make sense. But then do they really care about wasting some money when they have Ronaldo back? Does feel like Man Utd are overstocked upfront when there were more pressing issues to fix.

There will be a lot of fanfare - which is odd since he's 36 years old and gave his best 12 years of prime to Real Madrid/Juventus but whatever floats Man Utd's fan boats.

I dont think signing Ronaldo, with the other players you already had, adds another 15-20 points that Man Utd need to compete for the title.
Ronaldo is a great signing surely, no?

Agreed with the points about age doing him a disservice. Just look at his overall performance level in the last year, it's still consistently high.

He'll add some vital points this season you'd expect. Enough for the title? Not so sure, as I don't think up front is really the issue for United at the moment anyway.
I don't know how Ronaldo was persuaded to come back to United, but the one who was responsible for this transfer coup should be thanked. With him on the pitch, United is a favorite for the win in the league now.
Reply 190
Original post by Zürich
Anyone who's watched Ronaldo play recently knows how good he still is

Very good signing all considered but still dont see you winning the league really

Yeah. This is it really. Good signing if you can afford him. He'll elevate the squad but I don't think a striker to poach was what United needed. But goals always helps.
Original post by Gob Bluth
Ronaldo is a great signing surely, no?

Agreed with the points about age doing him a disservice. Just look at his overall performance level in the last year, it's still consistently high.

He'll add some vital points this season you'd expect. Enough for the title? Not so sure, as I don't think up front is really the issue for United at the moment anyway.

I think now there is depth for players to do what they want to do and stay in multiple competitions. But realistically that central midfield is average as ****. Mctominay is good but you can't be using him and Fred together all season.

Pogba fernandes Sancho Ronaldo link up gonna be crazy though. United have the best attack in the league for sure.

This idea of stockpiling attackers seems to win leagues nowadays.
Reply 191

Makes business sense, he brings 4m fans with him.
We’re so bad…….

Except prime Dave and Mason
Reply 193
Original post by That Bearded Man
We’re so bad…….

Except prime Dave and Mason

That's winning very ugly.
Ole is skating on thin ice, but does he realise it?
MOTD2 told him what he should have done, I hope he watches it.

The clueless 2:
ole-gunnar-solskjaer-michael-carrick_1mx8w323zyyna1u4kgrye88hmw.jpg
(edited 2 years ago)
What is exactly going so wrong for you guys to play such turgid 1st halfs but managing to turn them into wins?

Like in the short term you can rely more on this star quality but in a season he is expected to get 85+ and title challenge you guys really need to turn it around quickly - considering this was last season in a nutshell too right?
Reply 195
Original post by Gob Bluth
What is exactly going so wrong for you guys to play such turgid 1st halfs but managing to turn them into wins?

Like in the short term you can rely more on this star quality but in a season he is expected to get 85+ and title challenge you guys really need to turn it around quickly - considering this was last season in a nutshell too right?

We were not "winners" apart from defensive skill to stop Wolves winning., we also have a lucky draw in not meeting the big 3 for a while.
I look 4wd to the stern examination of this star collection when Messers Klop, Tuchell and Guardiola deal with them . . Will they shine or fall??
(edited 2 years ago)

Not having this at all. Ronaldo is still good enough to contibute to the team and is the perfect mentor for Greenwood (I have no doubts Ole thought of this when deciding to sanction the deal). We all know the high standards he sets, his dedication to the game and his supreme fitness. If even half of that rubs off on Greenwood...

Greenwood is undroppable at the moment and will probably just revert back to the right. Remember Henry was often played as a winger in his younger years before moving centrally, so was RVP.
Difficult to win those games with no midfield, no attack structure and no tactics
Reply 198
Original post by sr90
rubs off on Greenwood..

And Napoleon, I mean Pogba
Reply 199
Original post by sr90
Not having this at all. Ronaldo is still good enough to contibute to the team and is the perfect mentor for Greenwood (I have no doubts Ole thought of this when deciding to sanction the deal). We all know the high standards he sets, his dedication to the game and his supreme fitness. If even half of that rubs off on Greenwood...

Greenwood is undroppable at the moment and will probably just revert back to the right. Remember Henry was often played as a winger in his younger years before moving centrally, so was RVP.

The real issue is Cavani and where he plays. But I'm very sure Cavani will leave next summer. Same thing happened to Ibrahimovic when he got his ACL injury and Lukaku took his place.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest