The Student Room Group

Proportionality in non-calculator exams

Hello, I have a non calculator gcse maths exam in a few days and I have been revising topics which I’m not even sure I should have been. At the moment I’m onto direct and inverse proportion and I’m not sure if that’s going to be on the non calculator paper? Can anyone help me out? I did research online for a list, but a few topics don’t come up. Thank you so much.
Reply 1
I have a non calculator gcse maths exam in a few days which I need to take to be able to get into my college course. I have been studying and I think I may have been studying more calculator topics than non calculator. I did research for a list online on what you need to study, but a few topics aren’t shown. At the moment I’m revising inverse and direct proportion. Do I need to study this? I asked the internet and it didn’t really say. Thank you so much.
yo i got a 9 in maths so i think i can help u. do u have a discord?
Reply 3
Original post by studier378
I have a non calculator gcse maths exam in a few days which I need to take to be able to get into my college course. I have been studying and I think I may have been studying more calculator topics than non calculator. I did research for a list online on what you need to study, but a few topics aren’t shown. At the moment I’m revising inverse and direct proportion. Do I need to study this? I asked the internet and it didn’t really say. Thank you so much.

yes, inverse/direct proportion questions can come up on non-calculator exams. Example: Q14 on Edexcel GCSE Higher tier paper 1 from June 2018.

I've merged your duplicate thread into this one and changed the title to be a bit more clear. Please only make one thread in future.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
heyy, technically speaking both the calculator and non-calculator papers include questions from any topic: it's just that the non-calculator questions should be able to be done without a calculator. That's why you won't find a list of calculator topics and non-calculator topics. Also you're right to revise inverse & direct proportion since they have a good chance of coming up in the non-calculator paper :smile: If you want a full list of all the topics, it's best to go to the website of the exam board you're doing and seeing the spec.

For AQA:
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/mathematics/specifications/AQA-8300-SP-2015.PDF

For Edexcel:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/specification-and-sample-assesment/gcse-maths-2015-specification.pdf

if it's a different board, just search up the website, and the maths spec. Hope that helps xx
Reply 5
Original post by NemesisVIG
yo i got a 9 in maths so i think i can help u. do u have a discord?

stop making posts. i could help u i got a 9 in maths but i need ur discord

Don't do it via Discord - your help can be visible to more people who might need it if you keep it on the forum. In any case, TSR doesn't allow people to give out their socials on the forum.
Original post by Sinnoh
Don't do it via Discord - your help can be visible to more people who might need it if you keep it on the forum. In any case, TSR doesn't allow people to give out their socials on the forum.

i was going to help them revise
Reply 7

Yeah I know, but encouraging off-site discussion like posting links to group chats or snapchat usernames or whatever on the forum just isn't allowed. It's not so much TSR being jealous of other platforms, more that with most of the user base being under 18 and TSR staff being unable to moderate what goes on there, they just can't allow it to be encouraged. And people rarely if ever bother deleting their personal contact details afterwards, leaving them available for anyone in the world to see.
Original post by Sinnoh
Yeah I know, but encouraging off-site discussion like posting links to group chats or snapchat usernames or whatever on the forum just isn't allowed. It's not so much TSR being jealous of other platforms, more that with most of the user base being under 18 and TSR staff being unable to moderate what goes on there, they just can't allow it to be encouraged. And people rarely if ever bother deleting their personal contact details afterwards, leaving them available for anyone in the world to see.

wait on a side note, i need an account to be deleted but i cannot because its banned and it has some personal details on it. what shall i do
Reply 9
wait on a side note, i need an account to be deleted but i cannot because its banned and it has some personal details on it. what shall i do

Try posting in Ask the TSR Community Staff.

It's against forum rules to do this.

Quick Reply

Latest