The Student Room Group

King's College London A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ldv2022
Hi - home student, scored 3000 B3 and am interested in applying to Kings (KCL) I have full points for GCSES (all A* or 8). Based on KCL scoring system (if same as last year) this totals 130pts (I've no points for SJT and none for WP).
Others have said they got an interview last year with 2790 B3 & full points for GCSEs, and think they were part of the last batch invited to interview, which I calculated as roughly 120pts as it would've been 8th decile.
I know the cut-off may not be 120pts this year but with a 10point cushion (as I have 130pts) do you think this will be enough?

where do you find the scoring system?
I got A*A*AB for my A Levels, and unfortunately that B is in Chemistry. I'm resitting that exam in June 2022 so I've put it as pending on my UCAS Application, so I wanted to know when I apply then will they see that achieved B and think I haven't reached the grade requirement and reject me pre-interview, or will they still consider me as I've put June 2022 Chemistry as Pending on my application, and it works like predicted grades thereafter?
GCSEs and grade/subject breakdown

Maths-9
English Lit-9
English Lang-9
Chemistry-9
Biology-9
Physics-9
Economics-9
Computer Science-9
Geography-9
French-9
Additional Maths (FSMQ)- A

A levels, subjects and predictions
Predictions-
Maths A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Further Maths A*

UCAT and breakdown of subsections
VR 600
DM 760
QR 870
AR 800
Total - 3030
SJT band 3
Brief mention of work experience
Volunteered at a charity shop 2 months.
BSMS + Observe GP.

Not contextual nor do I have any WP flags

Hi and thanks for taking your time to read this. Would I have made the interview cut-off last year, also is it too risky or should I apply to KCL this year?
Reply 63
Original post by thatguysjokes123
GCSEs and grade/subject breakdown

Maths-9
English Lit-9
English Lang-9
Chemistry-9
Biology-9
Physics-9
Economics-9
Computer Science-9
Geography-9
French-9
Additional Maths (FSMQ)- A

A levels, subjects and predictions
Predictions-
Maths A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Further Maths A*

UCAT and breakdown of subsections
VR 600
DM 760
QR 870
AR 800
Total - 3030
SJT band 3
Brief mention of work experience
Volunteered at a charity shop 2 months.
BSMS + Observe GP.

Not contextual nor do I have any WP flags

Hi and thanks for taking your time to read this. Would I have made the interview cut-off last year, also is it too risky or should I apply to KCL this year?

You should be fine
Reply 64
Original post by keeno25
where do you find the scoring system?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/gcses_and_ucat#incoming-1694290

- UCAT scores - ranked using a percentile system against the cohort of applicants, with the highest UCAT score getting 100 points for being in the 100th percentile.
- SJT - an additional 10 points are awarded for achieving Band 1 in SJT and 5 points for achieving Band 2.
- GCSE - maximum of 40 points were available for GCSE performance: according to the number of A*s achieved at GCSE (subject not considered):
Less than 5 scored 0,
5 scored 10,
6 scored 20,
7 scored 30,
8+ scored 40.
Total - 150 was the maximum total points, excluding WP points.

WP - scores adjusted relevant to the quintile GCSE attainment of the school.
- an extra 20 WP points were added if the applicant was listed as a Care Leaver, or
- an additional 5 WP points for having a POLAR/ACORN flag.
Original post by GANFYD
You should be fine

would I be fine with 128 points given last year cut off was 120?
Reply 66
Original post by keeno25
would I be fine with 128 points given last year cut off was 120?

If that is what they are saying was cut off for 2021, I cannot see it being much more, but how sure are you of this info?
Original post by ldv2022
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/gcses_and_ucat#incoming-1694290

- UCAT scores - ranked using a percentile system against the cohort of applicants, with the highest UCAT score getting 100 points for being in the 100th percentile.
- SJT - an additional 10 points are awarded for achieving Band 1 in SJT and 5 points for achieving Band 2.
- GCSE - maximum of 40 points were available for GCSE performance: according to the number of A*s achieved at GCSE (subject not considered):
Less than 5 scored 0,
5 scored 10,
6 scored 20,
7 scored 30,
8+ scored 40.
Total - 150 was the maximum total points, excluding WP points.

WP - scores adjusted relevant to the quintile GCSE attainment of the school.
- an extra 20 WP points were added if the applicant was listed as a Care Leaver, or
- an additional 5 WP points for having a POLAR/ACORN flag.

Thank you for sharing this information.

In relation to: "UCAT scores - ranked using a percentile system against the cohort of applicants, with the highest UCAT score getting 100 points for being in the 100th percentile"

Can I ask, when will we know the percentiles to calculate what score ours fall in or is it approx guesswork?
Reply 68
Original post by BellaGreen55
Thank you for sharing this information.

In relation to: "UCAT scores - ranked using a percentile system against the cohort of applicants, with the highest UCAT score getting 100 points for being in the 100th percentile"

Can I ask, when will we know the percentiles to calculate what score ours fall in or is it approx guesswork?

Even King's don't know that yet, as it is based on the scores of the people who apply
Original post by GANFYD
If that is what they are saying was cut off for 2021, I cannot see it being much more, but how sure are you of this info?

someone else has stated that the last batch of interviews had people with 2780 b3, with all gcse points called. And my score is based on last years percentiles
Reply 70
Original post by keeno25
someone else has stated that the last batch of interviews had people with 2780 b3, with all gcse points called. And my score is based on last years percentiles

And are you certain they weren't contextual and that batches were done in descending order and not randomly?
Original post by GANFYD
And are you certain they weren't contextual and that batches were done in descending order and not randomly?

contextual i am not sure about, but reading last years thread it did seem like those with higher ranked ucats were called first
Original post by GANFYD
Even King's don't know that yet, as it is based on the scores of the people who apply

Makes sense, thank you!
My son is considering to apply for KCLHis GCSE are as followsMaths 9Chem 9Phy 9History 9Biology 8Economics 8German 7Eng Language 7Drama 7Eng literature 6A level predictionsChem A*Economics A*Maths A Biology AUCAT ScoreVR 710DM 740AB 740 QR 700SJT Band 3Total score 2890I am grateful to GANFYD as already advised that Southampton,liverpool,SGUL will be fine I would be grateful to GANFYD is it risky to apply for KCL as he does not have contextual points.Thank you so muchJaffar
Original post by ldv2022
Hi - home student, scored 3000 B3 and am interested in applying to Kings (KCL) I have full points for GCSES (all A* or 8). Based on KCL scoring system (if same as last year) this totals 130pts (I've no points for SJT and none for WP).
Others have said they got an interview last year with 2790 B3 & full points for GCSEs, and think they were part of the last batch invited to interview, which I calculated as roughly 120pts as it would've been 8th decile.
I know the cut-off may not be 120pts this year but with a 10point cushion (as I have 130pts) do you think this will be enough?

I would be very careful considering you got a band 3
Reply 75
Original post by 32jeerkah
I would be very careful considering you got a band 3

Why?
Hey,
I got seven 9/8s, two 7s and a 6 at GCSEs ( 7 a stars )
AS: 4 As (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths)
Predicted: A*A*A (Biology, Chemistry,Maths)
Ucat: 2940 Band 2

What are my chances? I know I lost a few points because of my GCSEs but surely my UCAT will compensate? Thanks
Original post by wagwan12
Hey,
I got seven 9/8s, two 7s and a 6 at GCSEs ( 7 a stars )
AS: 4 As (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths)
Predicted: A*A*A (Biology, Chemistry,Maths)
Ucat: 2940 Band 2

What are my chances? I know I lost a few points because of my GCSEs but surely my UCAT will compensate? Thanks

yh you should be fine as your ucat was 90th decile + last year
Original post by keeno25
yh you should be fine as your ucat was 90th decile + last year

calmmmm ty
hey guys i have 6 8/9s 3 7s and 1 6 in my GCSEs
Predicted 2 A*s 2 As but trying to make that 3 A*s 1 A. (Fingers crossed)
UCAT Score: 2890 B3

Am i likely to get an interview from Kings? I have heard of their application scoring process and think i get around 110 points out of 150.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending