The Student Room Group

Jurisprudence related books for Oxford personal statement?

Anyone got any more unique law related books to read and write about for Oxford law? I am particularly interested in jurisprudence and constitutional law so anything related to these areas would be of particular interest. Would also love to hear about any important/cool cases just for personal interest.
Thanks!
Original post by mil2004
Anyone got any more unique law related books to read and write about for Oxford law? I am particularly interested in jurisprudence and constitutional law so anything related to these areas would be of particular interest. Would also love to hear about any important/cool cases just for personal interest.
Thanks!

If you're interested in consti, then the whole illegal prorogation of parliament and judgment by the SC is an obvious, if maybe overdone, example. It might stimulate your interest in other areas of judicial review, and God knows that this terrible government has given ample opportunities for them.

The R (on the application of Miller) (Appellant) v The Prime Minister (Respondent) etc full judgement is here, and it is a masterclass in clear, easily-digested writing. It's beautiful :smile: See what you get out of it, and what areas of the law it makes you want to know more about.
Original post by mil2004
Thanks!

And, not being picky, but law is all about precision and facility with language. You should be able to see what is wrong with what you've written here:

Anyone got any more unique law related books to read and write about for Oxford law?
Reply 3
i mean i can recommend some good books on jurisprudence but they're aren't terrible unique to those who actually read jurisprudence :dontknow:

pretty sure my legal theory lecturer told me when he went to Oxford he had to read Law's Empire by Ronald Dworkin. it's not the easiest to understand tho so you might wanna try Taking Rights Seriously instead.

anything by John Rawls
Natural Law and Natural Rights - John Finnish
Law and the Modern Mind - Jerome Frank (talks about how judges have already made up their mind on a trial before they actually hear it all in court)
Some Realism about Realism - Karl Llewellyn
Legal Reasoning and Legal Theory - Neil MacCormick

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending