The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham 2022 applicants thread

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to Nottingham for 2022!

Here are some icebreaker questions:

What course are you applying for:
What other universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher / BTEC / etc predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
Why Nottingham:
Are you going/planning to go to a open day ?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>
@StrawberryDreams
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What course are you applying for
Natural Sciences !

What other universities are you thinking of
A few. Notts, UCL and Lancaster are my favourites. Notts is definitely my top.

A level / IB / Higher / BTEC / etc predicted grades
No idea yet but I do A levels in Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths.

GCSE grades:
Maths, Triple Science, Religious Studies = 9

English Literature and Language, Geography = 8

French = 5

Why Nottingham:
I loved the course and fell in love w the uni during the online summer school :yep:

:yep: I was given free travel and lunch as I went to the summer school. really excited to see it in person !
(edited 2 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Obolinda
What course are you applying for
Natural Sciences !

What other universities are you thinking of
A few. Notts, UCL and Lancaster are my favourites. Notts is definitely my top.

A level / IB / Higher / BTEC / etc predicted grades
No idea yet but I do A levels in Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths.

GCSE grades:
Maths, Triple Science, Religious Studies = 9

English Literature and Language, Geography = 8

French = 5

Why Nottingham:
I loved the course and fell in love w the uni during the online summer school :yep:

:yep: I was given free travel and lunch as I went to the summer school. really excited to see it in person !

Good luck, the campus is well worth visiting!
Original post by mnot
Good luck, the campus is well worth visiting!

thanks !
Original post by xsimx
Hi! I've been searching for this thread for ages, glad I found one!

Psychology and cognitive neuroscience

So far, reading and southampton, but im still searching :smile:

A level / IB / Higher / BTEC / etc predicted grades: My predictions are A* A B and I take sociology, psychology and English literature.

GCSE grades: 7,7,7,7,7,6,5

Why Nottingham: I adore the campus and heard that Nottingham is quite diverse- something that is really important to me as a POC student! The course is amazing and I love the idea of getting to do a placement year too- possibly abroad.

Are you going/planning to go to a open day ? I hope so!

Hi, sorry to bother but I'm in doubt about whether I should apply for Psychology or Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience, do you know the biggest difference regard future career options?
Reply 5
Original post by carolbessil
Hi, sorry to bother but I'm in doubt about whether I should apply for Psychology or Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience, do you know the biggest difference regard future career options?

Hi, there's a really good video on youtube explain it, a lady who went to Nottingham and started on a psychology course and changed to do psychology with cognitive neuroscience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ga6Vjysuso
I found it really helped me form my decision!

But to sum it up, the main difference is the Lab work that you'll be doing, and the class sizes. Psychology and cognitive neuroscience tends to not have as many applicants as just psychology. As for the labs, I think its more biology/science related than a psychology course- and focuses more on the cognitive neuroscience side of things. I might be wrong, but it also might effect what modules you can choose later in the degree (I think you get more options especially to do with neuroscience)

As for careers, im looking to go into Clinical neuropsychology- which is largely to do with the brain, and diagnosing psychological and neurological disorders. I wanted to take this course because it has labs to do with brain scanning and things like that- but I don't think it will impact your career aspects too much- depending on what you want to do.

A lot of people I have spoken to about it recommend the neuroscience one if you like science, and if you like the labs- but otherwise the simple psychology one is for you. I hope this provides some help!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by xsimx
Hi, there's a really good video on youtube explain it, a lady who went to Nottingham and started on a psychology course and changed to do psychology with cognitive neuroscience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ga6Vjysuso
I found it really helped me form my decision!

But to sum it up, the main difference is the Lab work that you'll be doing, and the class sizes. Psychology and cognitive neuroscience tends to not have as many applicants as just psychology. As for the labs, I think its more biology/science related than a psychology course- and focuses more on the cognitive neuroscience side of things. I might be wrong, but it also might effect what modules you can choose later in the degree (I think you get more options especially to do with neuroscience)

As for careers, im looking to go into Clinical neuropsychology- which is largely to do with the brain, and diagnosing psychological and neurological disorders. I wanted to take this course because it has labs to do with brain scanning and things like that- but I don't think it will impact your career aspects too much- depending on what you want to do.

A lot of people I have spoken to about it recommend the neuroscience one if you like science, and if you like the labs- but otherwise the simple psychology one is for you. I hope this provides some help!

Omg, tysm, I was between choosing Psychology/Psychology and Neuroscience and Neuroscience itself, which is why I wanted a course where I could have the best of both worlds. Seriously, you really did help :smile:

So, what other unis are you interested in? if you don't mind answering ofc
Reply 7
Omg, tysm, I was between choosing Psychology/Psychology and Neuroscience and Neuroscience itself, which is why I wanted a course where I could have the best of both worlds. Seriously, you really did help :smile:

So, what other unis are you interested in? if you don't mind answering ofc

Of course!! Yes, it's a good course to get the two combined, I'm really interested in Neuroscience, so finding a course like this was perfect for me :smile:
Reading University is my second choice, they provide a psychology course and a psychology with neuroscience one- but i noticed the one with neuroscience is very computer science related (for some reason?) and the psychology one has neuroscience embedded into it, so that's the one i want to apply to there.
My other two are Southampton and Essex, Southampton has a good course where you can choose another subject to study along side Psychology- and Essex has pretty good faculties. But the dream is definitely to get into Notts :smile:

Have you considered anywhere else yet?
Original post by xsimx
Of course!! Yes, it's a good course to get the two combined, I'm really interested in Neuroscience, so finding a course like this was perfect for me :smile:
Reading University is my second choice, they provide a psychology course and a psychology with neuroscience one- but i noticed the one with neuroscience is very computer science related (for some reason?) and the psychology one has neuroscience embedded into it, so that's the one i want to apply to there.
My other two are Southampton and Essex, Southampton has a good course where you can choose another subject to study along side Psychology- and Essex has pretty good faculties. But the dream is definitely to get into Notts :smile:

Have you considered anywhere else yet?

Omg, I used to love Southampton so much but they don't have the foundation course I need to proceed to the courses I want (I'm an international student by the way).

Yes, I have. I've been looking at Sheffield and St. Andrews for Psychology and Bristol for Psychology and Neuroscience, but I'm trying to find cheaper options if you know what I mean. I do really like St. Andrews' course, which covers a lot of Neuroscience as well, you know? And I'm also considering applying to Glasgow for Neuroscience, although I don't like the fact that they focus only on the biological side and don't cover psychology at all, which kinda sucks. But yeah, Notts and St.Andrews are my favs and getting into either of them will be a dream :smile:
Reply 9
Omg, I used to love Southampton so much but they don't have the foundation course I need to proceed to the courses I want (I'm an international student by the way).

Yes, I have. I've been looking at Sheffield and St. Andrews for Psychology and Bristol for Psychology and Neuroscience, but I'm trying to find cheaper options if you know what I mean. I do really like St. Andrews' course, which covers a lot of Neuroscience as well, you know? And I'm also considering applying to Glasgow for Neuroscience, although I don't like the fact that they focus only on the biological side and don't cover psychology at all, which kinda sucks. But yeah, Notts and St.Andrews are my favs and getting into either of them will be a dream :smile:

Awe that's a shame :frown: Your other options are amazing though!! Especially St. Andrews, I had considered it before but it's a little too far away for my liking. I have thought about Bristol too, but I miss the grade requirements by one grade, so I'm not too sure If i want to risk it. I've also heard Nottingham is really great for international students, and it's big on diversity aswell. It was one of the main things that I was looking for in a student city tbh. Both Notts and St. Andrews are really good, especially since they have a course that contains both psychology and Neuroscience , so I wish you luck and hope you get in to either one! :smile:
Reply 10
Hi :smile:
MSci Neuroscience

Exeter, Sussex, Southampton, Cardiff

A*A in psychology and biology (and I haven't been told my chemistry one yet)

GCSE grades:

Why Nottingham:
the course is my favourite over all other uni's and I love the campus and look of the student life. I got to talk to one of the course leaders and absolutely loved the idea of a small department and the fact there are small class sizes in seminars and some lectures

Are you going/planning to go to an open day?

I went on one in July and absolutely loved
Reply 11
Hi!
I'm applying for Business & German
Apart from Notts I'm applying to KCL, QMUL, UCL and Manchester
I think my predicted is AAB (Spanish, Media & Maths), but it's not certain yet
My GCSES were 987766665

The uni of nottingham just seems great, and i like the course!
What course are you applying for: Bsc Computer Science
What other universities are you thinking of: Oxford, ICL, Durham, Leeds
A level / IB / Higher / BTEC / etc predicted grades: A*(A*/A)A
GCSE grades: 999988887
Why Nottingham: It's got a very good repuation as well as being situated in a pretty nice place.
Are you going/planning to go to a open day?: I went to one I think in August, I found the whole campus pretty nice.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi everyone!
What course are you applying for: LLB Law
What other universities are you thinking of: Oxford, Warwick, York, Cardiff (safe choice)
A level / IB / Higher / BTEC / etc predicted grades: AAA + A* EPQ
GCSE grades: 9,9,9,9,8,8,8,8,7
Extra curricular: Head of Law Society, debating society, volunteering, visits to court
Why Nottingham: campus is spectacular, very good university for law
Are you going/planning to go to a open day ? I'm thinking of attending

Please feel free to pm me :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Obolinda
This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to Nottingham for 2022!

Here are some icebreaker questions:

GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
Why Nottingham:

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>
@StrawberryDreams

Hey!
What course are you applying for: LLB Law
What other universities are you thinking of: Southampton,Nottingham Lancaster, Warwick and Birmingham
A level / IB / Higher / BTEC / etc predicted grades: AB (waiting on one more)
GCSE grades: 8,7,6,6,5,5,4,4,4
Extra curricular: Debating Club, Violin, Writes stories, Prefect, Eco Rep
Why Nottingham: Have loved the uni for many years and I love the modules and the campus
I have just been to the open day!
(edited 2 years ago)
Heard Nottingham is quick, anyone got an offer yet:smile:?
Original post by corktrees

yep! for theology and religion:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
yep! for theology and religion:smile:

Congrats! I’m waiting on physics aha:smile:

Yep! For politics and international relations :smile:
Reply 19

got one for ppe (philosophy, politics and economics) a couple of days ago. surprised because it's a really competitive course.
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending