The Student Room Group

Why do guys like to be the dominant ones in the relationship

What's the physcology behind it?
And also does this mean they don't like other loud/confident girls and prefer the quieter girls?

Scroll to see replies

Everyone is different 🤷
Reply 2
Original post by LeafMeAlonee
Everyone is different 🤷

Obviously but what s is the general opinion of the male population? What do YOU think?
Evolution. Think about it, for thousands and thousands of years it was the duty of men to defend themselves, their other half and the tribe against invasion. If said man/tribe failed to do so, the woman were the "prize" of the conquering tribe. As such, it's deeply within the genome of men to dominate to ensure the safety of their other half. Alongside this, you can look up the word "hypergamy", which again draws itself from evolutionary psychology. Hypergamy is the fact that females tend to "date up", and have historically and evolutionary sought to get with the strongest* male that offers the most protection against invading forces, etc. Look up evolutionary biology, woke society hates it; but it is the truth.

*can be defined physically, or in terms of popularity. As in the evolutionary context, popularity and charisma ensured the man had a big group to back him up against a potential invading force, and as such, the other half/ girlfriend was also protected.
More vague gender crap :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Evolution. Think about it, for thousands and thousands of years it was the duty of men to defend themselves, their other half and the tribe against invasion. If said man/tribe failed to do so, the woman were the "prize" of the conquering tribe. As such, it's deeply within the genome of men to dominate to ensure the safety of their other half. Alongside this, you can look up the word "hypergamy", which again draws itself from evolutionary psychology. Hypergamy is the fact that females tend to "date up", and have historically and evolutionary sought to get with the strongest* male that offers the most protection against invading forces, etc. Look up evolutionary biology, woke society hates it; but it is the truth.

*can be defined physically, or in terms of popularity. As in the evolutionary context, popularity and charisma ensured the man had a big group to back him up against a potential invading force, and as such, the other half/ girlfriend was also protected.

Thank. What do you think of:
And also does this mean they don't like other loud/confident girls and prefer the quieter girls?
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
More vague gender crap :redface:

Wut
I think a lot of guys are scared to show signs of submissiveness as girls have made it clear they dont like submissive men, leading to a lot of guys over compensating.
So in the end guys dont really have a say in if they want to be dominant or not - it is kind of just expected that they are.
It's just culture. So many of the male role models that we see are dominant people, so men grow up with that inculcated into them - that the best and most attractive man is a dominant man.
Define dominant.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
It's just culture. So many of the male role models that we see are dominant people, so men grow up with that inculcated into them - that the best and most attractive man is a dominant man.

True

Thank you for answering both questions :smile:

Original post by SlaveofAll
Define dominant.

You'd have to ask Google I'm afraid
You'd have to ask Google I'm afraid

I asked it because what passes as dominant to many people turn out of be slavish behavior.
Have you heard of a rather curious thing called 'history'?

incel lol
there may be some evolutionary factors, but humans are historically very egalatarian societies. the main reason for this is rigid gender roles in society
Original post by a_human_being?
Have you heard of a rather curious thing called 'history'?

Which is why I asked someone to explain lmao rtq

Original post by SlaveofAll
I asked it because what passes as dominant to many people turn out of be slavish behavior.

? Not rly
? Not rly

What do you mean?
Reply 16
I'm not keen on dominant women

i could never date someone like that faye from love island

far too volatile/dominant..
We don't, not necessarily. Some guys are relaxed and prefer to talk, discuss and jointly agree on things rather than dictate or demand.

I find guys who try too hard to be ''dominant'' cringe AF. Just be reasonable, thoughtful and not selfish. You don't have to be pushy or aggressive ...
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by barboxylic
incel lol
there may be some evolutionary factors, but humans are historically very egalatarian societies. the main reason for this is rigid gender roles in society

I’ll ignore your petty comments because they’re just lame. I’ve definitely slept with more woman than you due to understanding the disparities between the genders and currently have a girlfriend of three years. Nevertheless, on your point of society > evolution: this is certainly disproven in some factions of society. For example, in Scandinavia, which is reknowned for its egalitarian approach; females still overwhelmingly apply to become nurses and males overwhelming apply to become engineers. This is in the part of the world that’s ranked #1 for gender equality. What does this tell us? It tells us that we’re MORE LIKELY to act out in ways that we have historically and evolutionarily done when egalitarianism takes a grip on society. Also, I’d advise you look up hypergamy if you don’t believe in evolution and mate selection. You’ve got a lot to learn. Females select for the most dominant, and men have 17x more testosterone than females; of which is directly correlated to dominant seeking behaviour.
Wut

Your thread, it's bad verging on timewasting. Do better, at everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending