The Student Room Group

What kind of job would suit me best? (having graduated in Mech Eng)

Hi,

I'm currently having a lot of doubts and difficulty choosing and applying for jobs. I recently graduated from a top 3 uni in the UK with a 1st class MEng in mechanical engineering and so far have been unsuccessful in getting a graduate job.

Every time I look for jobs I just spend hours in front of the computer and just don't seem to like anything. Even jobs at good companies I just tend to put off for a while and by the time I apply it's too late.

I don't know if this is a sign that I don't like mech eng that much or just that I'm still exhausted after how difficult uni was due to the workload. I feel like while I'm good at typical engineering tasks like design and calculations etc. I tend to look more at jobs that are more focused on logistics and coordinating projects etc.

Like I tend to have more fun planning and prioritising (in any aspect of life whether it's travelling, uni, any industry) rather than actually doing the engineering job. So was wondering if there is an industry or job category that might be more suited to my skills and taste where it would be advantageous to have an engineering degree but where the day-to-day activities are more about planning and strategising. I don't really care if it's an unrelated industry tbh.

Thank you
(edited 2 years ago)
Perhaps something in project management?
Original post by HousesInCork
Perhaps something in project management?

Thank you for the sughgestion. I was thinking something like this although the few options I have found so far request a lot of previous experience.
Original post by ano-nymus
Thank you for the sughgestion. I was thinking something like this although the few options I have found so far request a lot of previous experience.

There are graduate project manager roles.

https://www.gradcracker.com/search/civil-building/project-management-graduate-jobs

Also, project engineer roles might also be worth a look. It's a role more based on planning, organising and overseeing rather than detailed engineering work. It can also lead to project management.
Original post by ano-nymus
Hi,

I'm currently having a lot of doubts and difficulty choosing and applying for jobs. I recently graduated from a top 3 uni in the UK with a 1st class MEng in mechanical engineering and so far have been unsuccessful in getting a graduate job.

Every time I look for jobs I just spend hours in front of the computer and just don't seem to like anything. Even jobs at good companies I just tend to put off for a while and by the time I apply it's too late.

I don't know if this is a sign that I don't like mech eng that much or just that I'm still exhausted after how difficult uni was due to the workload. I feel like while I'm good at typical engineering tasks like design and calculations etc. I tend to look more at jobs that are more focused on logistics and coordinating projects etc.

Like I tend to have more fun planning and prioritising (in any aspect of life whether it's travelling, uni, any industry) rather than actually doing the engineering job. So was wondering if there is an industry or job category that might be more suited to my skills and taste where it would be advantageous to have an engineering degree but where the day-to-day activities are more about planning and strategising. I don't really care if it's an unrelated industry tbh.

Thank you

Look for a graduate role that offers rotations in different departments, preferably a larger company. Research and development is a good shout, there’s often multiple layers of functions within the same office(s) that aim at generating, validating, or verifying design inputs and decisions. They’ll often be very open to where you progress after you’ve finished your graduate programme/scheme.

Some bigger companies also have better training budgets. I did certified project management training just for personal preference and interest in better managing my own projects. I could apply to be a project manager internally, but I prefer making the most out of the tools within my current department as a secondary role.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Project management or some kind.
www.quickrelease.co.uk
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi,If you are a Mechanical engineer, you could apply for a drilling engineer in the oilfield. This job could give you a good amount of money and I'm sure you'll like it, if you have a thing for new discoveries and an adventurous life.Thanks,Amar Vasishtha
i don't have in interest in chemical engineering more. design, calculations and pid stuff is boring

I apply for supply chain, operations, management or consulting
Original post by Proxenus
i don't have in interest in chemical engineering more. design, calculations and pid stuff is boring

I apply for supply chain, operations, management or consulting

Supply chain and operations roles also have process engineering, product management, and quality roles in their functions. The other two often require some relevant on-the-job subject matter expertise and don’t typically have entry level roles.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending