The Student Room Group

Nwaekerendu - A Year 12 GYG that hopefully will not fail

In Igbo culture, names are chosen for their meaning. Most are religious (Chiwetel Ejiofor's first name for example is a contraction of "Chi wetelu" meaning "God has brought") but some are non-religious affirmations.

I have done two GYGs that I completely abandoned :redface: and I don't want it to happen again. So, I named this blog Nwaekerendu - "This child will live". Hopefully it does :smile:

Anyway. Year 11 is already done and I'm starting A-levels now :eek: I did not have the jampacked summer that I expected, but it was nice to unwind a bit.

GCSEs:
Maths: 7
Biology: 7
Chemistry: 9
Physics: 6
French: 8
English Language: 7
English Literature: 6
Religious Studies B: 7
Computer Science: 7

I'm kind of disappointed in these grades to be honest. I struggled a lot during the lockdowns and did almost nothing, but I'm surprised about Physics especially. I am very surprised about my Chemistry grade.

Appeals/Resits:
AQA Physics (appeal): targeting 8
Edexcel Maths: targeting 8
OCR Computer Science: targeting 8

HMU if you're also resitting these :smile:

A-levels:
Edexcel Maths
OCR Physics A
OCR Chemistry A
AQA Computer Science

I set out to do Maths/FM/Physics/History, but I'm not sure what happened at the enrolment meeting :lol:
I missed the Further Maths requirement, so I was convinced to take one of Chemistry or Computer Science. I ended up taking both. Chemistry is of literally no use for me (I don't want to get into the energy sector) so I'll probably drop it for Further Maths. I'm hoping the head of maths will let me take it conditional on my resit result :redface:

Misc:
SAT

I wanted to take the SAT last year but I didn't for multiple reasons so I'm aiming to take it in March 2022 :smile:

That's basically everything for now. I might change some things around though.
Yet another gyg made by someone who will be in the same year as me :redface: Can’t wait to see how this will progress :five:
Original post by 0ptics
Yet another gyg made by someone who will be in the same year as me :redface: Can’t wait to see how this will progress :five:

We'll get through this :five:
Original post by Vapordave
We'll get through this :five:

My corpse has already decayed.
I set out to do Maths/FM/Physics/History, but I'm not sure what happened at the enrolment meeting :lol:

If you don’t mind me asking, why did you choose history, given the context of your A-level options? Also, it seems weird that the school has nothing about what options you gave.
Original post by 0ptics
If you don’t mind me asking, why did you choose history, given the context of your A-level options? Also, it seems weird that the school has nothing about what options you gave.

I like humanities, regretted not taking GCSE History, and wanted to do PPE at the time :tongue:
The system was kind of weird: I had to choose options three separate times and only one was binding.
Which A-levels are you doing?
I like humanities, regretted not taking GCSE History, and wanted to do PPE at the time :tongue:
The system was kind of weird: I had to choose options three separate times and only one was binding.
Which A-levels are you doing?

Ah, right, that’s fair. I’m taking bio, maths and physics. Why? Well, I don’t exactly know what I want to do so I chose the subjects I enjoyed (and got the highest on) and it, subsequently, broadens my career path a bit so that’s another positive.
Yay new GYG! I'm loving it so far - please tag me! Will you be posting more Igbo words/phrases? I'd love to learn more 🥰
Original post by 0ptics
Ah, right, that’s fair. I’m taking bio, maths and physics. Why? Well, I don’t exactly know what I want to do so I chose the subjects I enjoyed (and got the highest on) and it, subsequently, broadens my career path a bit so that’s another positive.

That's a good mix of subjects :tongue:

Original post by sadforsadboys
Yay new GYG! I'm loving it so far - please tag me! Will you be posting more Igbo words/phrases? I'd love to learn more 🥰

My Igbo sucks but I'll try :lol:
I'm interested in following your GYG journey, so please tag me :smile:.

I'm in yr 13 doing maths, computing, further maths and music so doing kinda similar subjects; and I'm hoping this year goes better for you.
Original post by Cupcakes12
I'm interested in following your GYG journey, so please tag me :smile:.

I'm in yr 13 doing maths, computing, further maths and music so doing kinda similar subjects; and I'm hoping this year goes better for you.

How's Year 13 going so far?
How's Year 13 going so far?

Good 😁
I'm very busy especially with UCAS stuff which seems to be taking over my life lol.
10/9/21 - Genesis

So, I've had my first week at 6th form. I'm going to a 6th form college 15 miles away so it was a change to say the least.

Social:
Not terrible :redface:
I went with a friend so I just went around with him on the first day, and then I talked to someone who was alone here on Tuesday and now we're friends. The structure of the school really helped as we could just wander around town after lessons :smile:
I'm on acquaintance terms with one other person in my Maths and Computer Science classes, and another in my Physics class. I also mistook a Year 13 for someone else but we had a short nice conversation.
I've also talked to multiple people who also came from my secondary school :smile:

Lessons:
My current timetable is great because I have one 2:25hr lesson most days. I know frees are for studying but I wanted to just settle in this week :smile:
Maths:
No qualms, things are smooth.
Physics:
My teacher is a bit quirky in a fun way, the work is fine.
Computer Science:
One of my teachers went to MIT for undergrad (the other went to Oxford) so I've been asking him about that as I want to apply which is cool. Workload is good right now.
Chemistry:
I was going to drop a subject anyway but the second teacher of Chemistry made it the unlucky subject :redface:

Changes:
I get the train to school now which is stressful to catch but otherwise cool
There's no dress code so I get to dress how I want :smile:
We're on a first-name basis with teachers now which is weird :lol:
I have tons of frees and the college is right in the middle of town which means I've been exploring. There's this amazing sandwich shop that I've eaten at twice. Also the town is very pretty :smile:

Appeal:
My Physics grade was upheld which sucks. I can either move onto Stage 2 or retake or do nothing. I don't know what to do.

Other things:
I'm planning to self-teach Further Maths since school won't let me, and I applied spontaneously for an Art History EPQ + A-level Saturday course.
Good luck :woohoo:
Reply 14
LOl guy never finised it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending