The Student Room Group

Warwick GEM programme 2022

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I’d anyone else worried about the potential increase for the UCAT cut off this year? I’m taking my test soon and it’s terrifying!
Original post by Bexjw
I’d anyone else worried about the potential increase for the UCAT cut off this year? I’m taking my test soon and it’s terrifying!

Yes- but I’m hoping this year there’s not going to be an increase because every year has been pretty much the same except for the 2020 cycle because I think people were taking their test at home so getting better results? If you look at the UCAT statistics the average mark increased for 2020 but for the other years it was similar. I am worried but I don’t think the jump will be too high this year I think anything above 2720 (last years cut off) should be fine!
Reply 82
Original post by Queen2020
Yes- but I’m hoping this year there’s not going to be an increase because every year has been pretty much the same except for the 2020 cycle because I think people were taking their test at home so getting better results? If you look at the UCAT statistics the average mark increased for 2020 but for the other years it was similar. I am worried but I don’t think the jump will be too high this year I think anything above 2720 (last years cut off) should be fine!

People who sat their test at home actually did slightly worse than those who sat it is a Test Centre
Original post by GANFYD
People who sat their test at home actually did slightly worse than those who sat it is a Test Centre

That’s interesting where did it say that?

My only theory now then is that UCAT averages may increase because people are better prepared each year and there are more resources from people to revise from. So now I’m scared the decile scores will increase again this year :frown:
Reply 84
Original post by Queen2020
That’s interesting where did it say that?

My only theory now then is that UCAT averages may increase because people are better prepared each year and there are more resources from people to revise from. So now I’m scared the decile scores will increase again this year :frown:

In UCATs statistical analysis of results
hi all, was wondering if anyone could help. I'm currently in a full time (37.5hrs per week) patient facing job within the NHS as a Cardiac Physiologist and I see patients for routine appointments as well as in acute situations like a heart attack, cardiac arrest etc. Warwick say they want 2 relevant experiences, I graduated from uni in 2018 and have some experience of shadowing doctors in clinics from then as part of my course. would this be suitable or would I need another work experience for it to count? or and this is a very long shot, would warwick be happy that I am a full time allied health professional and accept the range of experiences from my job role as sufficient?
Original post by Ram Charan
hi all, was wondering if anyone could help. I'm currently in a full time (37.5hrs per week) patient facing job within the NHS as a Cardiac Physiologist and I see patients for routine appointments as well as in acute situations like a heart attack, cardiac arrest etc. Warwick say they want 2 relevant experiences, I graduated from uni in 2018 and have some experience of shadowing doctors in clinics from then as part of my course. would this be suitable or would I need another work experience for it to count? or and this is a very long shot, would warwick be happy that I am a full time allied health professional and accept the range of experiences from my job role as sufficient?

They accept shadowing as acceptable work experience. You need 70 hrs total, coming from at least 2 different positions. Your full-time employment will be counted up to 50 hrs and then shadowing will count for the rest. You'll just need to be sure that you shadowed at least 20 hrs.
Original post by Ram Charan

Your job on its own won’t count, you’ll have to have done another experience outside of the job. I would recommend doing shadowing as it’s easy to get. You can always email admissions and check, but their website does clearly say 2 different experiences.
Hi guys I am looking for some advice.

I got an overall score of 2880 in my UCAT, but only
570 in VR. I am starting to feel like this is too low to apply to Warwick as they base off cohort average not national average. Does anyone have any advice? Anything appreciated.
Original post by UnimanTom

570 in VR. I am starting to feel like this is too low to apply to Warwick as they base off cohort average not national average. Does anyone have any advice? Anything appreciated.

I think you have summed it up well yourself. Incredibly risky to apply with that 570, which is a massive shame because the 2880 is more than enough otherwise.
Original post by scavo86
I think you have summed it up well yourself. Incredibly risky to apply with that 570, which is a massive shame because the 2880 is more than enough otherwise.

Looks like I will have to reapply next year then as unfortunately I do not have A-levels so most UCAT universities won’t accept me.
what is the VR cut off usually for Warwick? :frown: I am worried for that section the mostttt
Reply 92
Original post by sxrxhkhxn
what is the VR cut off usually for Warwick? :frown: I am worried for that section the mostttt

Websites are a good place to look for this type of information
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/med/study/ugr/applying/entryreqs/ucat/
Original post by UnimanTom

Firstly, congrats on your score! Secondly, are you sure they base it off the average of the cohort applying to Warwick, and not the national mean? I understood "Our first round of selection therefore identifies those with a verbal reasoning score at or above the national mean for the cohort sitting UCAT in the year of application" to mean the national average?
Can someone clarify how Warwick select applicants for interview? I know they take academic achievement and UCAT & VR into consideration but I'm wondering how they weigh these two things? I'm concerned as I got 3110 UCAT (740 VR) but only a 2.1 in my degree? Also, I know they're not an eligibility requirement but do they score A Levels?
Original post by gemplzx
Can someone clarify how Warwick select applicants for interview? I know they take academic achievement and UCAT & VR into consideration but I'm wondering how they weigh these two things? I'm concerned as I got 3110 UCAT (740 VR) but only a 2.1 in my degree? Also, I know they're not an eligibility requirement but do they score A Levels?

If you have 70 hours of appropriate work experience, then with those stats you will get an iv. I do not believe they publish how things are weighted exactly, but with the WE in the bag you will be ok to get to the iv stage @ the very least. They won't score a-levels.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gemplzx
Firstly, congrats on your score! Secondly, are you sure they base it off the average of the cohort applying to Warwick, and not the national mean? I understood "Our first round of selection therefore identifies those with a verbal reasoning score at or above the national mean for the cohort sitting UCAT in the year of application" to mean the national average?

National ave.
Original post by gemplzx

It's a pretty straightforward filtering process, like this (I wish I could draw a flowchart on here but bullet points will have to do!):
- Do you have a minimum 2:1 degree? Yes= on to next step, No= rejected
- Do you have a UCAT score at or above the cut-off for that year, AND a VR score at or above the national mean for that year? Yes= on to next step, No= rejected, UNLESS you have a first, a masters or a PhD in which case they'll lower the UCAT threshold slightly.
- Do you meet the minimum work experience requirement? Yes= on to next step, No= rejected
- INTERVIEW! Did your score rank in the top [n] candidates (where [n] is the number of places available)? Yes= offer, No= rejection.

In your case your overall UCAT score should be well above the cut-off (even if it's higher than normal this year), even with "just" a 2:1 undergrad. Last year's cut-off was somewhere around 2800-ish, and that was much higher than the previous few years. Your VR score is also really good: to give you an idea, the national mean score for VR was 570 last year. https://www.ucat.ac.uk/media/1446/ucat-test-statistics-oct-2020-updated-281020.pdf

And no, they don't take A-level performance into account.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by caperata
It's a pretty straightforward filtering process, like this (I wish I could draw a flowchart on here but bullet points will have to do!):
- Do you have a minimum 2:1 degree? Yes= on to next step, No= rejected
- Do you have a UCAT score at or above the cut-off for that year, AND a VR score at or above the national mean for that year? Yes= on to next step, No= rejected, UNLESS you have a first, a masters or a PhD in which case they'll lower the UCAT threshold slightly.
- Do you meet the minimum work experience requirement? Yes= on to next step, No= rejected
- INTERVIEW! Did your score rank in the top [n] candidates (where [n] is the number of places available)? Yes= offer, No= rejection.

In your case your overall UCAT score should be well above the cut-off (even if it's higher than normal this year), even with "just" a 2:1 undergrad. Last year's cut-off was somewhere around 2800-ish, and that was much higher than the previous few years. Your VR score is also really good: to give you an idea, the national mean score for VR was 570 last year. https://www.ucat.ac.uk/media/1446/ucat-test-statistics-oct-2020-updated-281020.pdf

And no, they don't take A-level performance into account.

Do you know how much they tend to lower the UCAT threshold for for PhD holders? It doesn't seem to say anything about that on their website.
Original post by medicphd
Do you know how much they tend to lower the UCAT threshold for for PhD holders? It doesn't seem to say anything about that on their website.

No idea I'm afraid--I'm just another applicant who researched the process last year! If you have a look at the admissions spreadsheets on TSR, you should be able to get an idea from the past couple of years what the minimum scores are to get an interview, and how far below the published cut-off they went for people with extra degrees. Of course that data is limited to applicants active on TSR who were willing to post their stats, but it'll give you some kind of idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending