Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I’m in the same situation as you.
Doing pharmacy with foundation year
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by an5ever
it's quite comforting to see someone's in the same boat as me hhh, have you tried contacting any unis yet? i emailed a few yesterday so i'm just waiting on their response. let me know what you plan to do we could keep each other updated!

Hey there!
Not yet, I’m planning to do that after I start my foundation course and see how it is. My uni is very good for pharmacy but I wanted to move out. I’ll see how it goes. Have you had any response?
Original post by 4n5ver
ahh i see, hope all goes well for you and i totally understand the moving out thing lmao. i've heard back from manchester and birmingham, manchester was a hard no (for law, could be a diff response for a diff course ie. pharmacy), bham said im welcome to apply as admissions tutors would consider my circumstances but no guarantee on an offer, notts asked for further details so im still waiting for a response from them and kcl said each application is considered but they can't advise on eligibility until a full application's been made so basically a personal statement, previous grades, and how i'm currently doing in my foundation year. i've gathered it'd be smart to send a few emails after the first module's been covered so i'll have grades to submit. ive also emailed qmul, durham, warwick, and lse but waiting on a response.

Im also looking at switching unis after doing my current foundation year in accounting and finance have u heard back from any uni's yet. City got back to me and told me to email them again when it gets close to applying and they will then look at modules.
Original post by 4n5ver
due to personal circumstances my a levels came out to be complete a**. i was originally planning to take a gap to retake and reapply this year for law, however, i settled on accepting an offer from soas for their foundation year through clearing. i read that it was possible for students studying the soas foundation year to progress onto unis such as kcl the next year, guaranteed they do well during the foundation year.

if anyone has gone through this process i'd like to ask how likely it is for this to happen, especially for a degree as competitive as law. furthermore, how much do unis take your a levels into account, do they focus more on the foundation year rather than your a levels or do your a levels still play a significant factor in the application process. kcl is the goal for me but im also planning to try other russell groups. are there any unis that anyone knows which would accept the foundation year for courses like law/econ. also in regards to law, would i have to take the lnat? thanks

edit: i'd like to add that i didn't choose to accept the foundation year offer solely based on the idea of transferring the next year. the soas foundation year does interest me and i also really like the look of their law course, i just want to keep my options open at the moment and see what else is possibly available for me.

I would encourage you to read the Transfer FAQ if you haven’t already.

It’s difficult to advise how likely a transfer is, as foundation years aren’t designed as a standardised, widely-accepted qualification. Its main function is to gear you up for the undergrad programme at that Uni.

That said, some uni’s will accept them, but it’s very course dependant. You are doing the right thing by contacting uni’s directly and early to find out their stance.
Original post by 4n5ver
hey, notts got back to me and basically said my foundation year would be accepted but not for law because they still require a minimum of CCC at A level for the application to be considered. that being said, i also enquired about econ and they said past grades aren't taken into account and they solely focus on the foundation year sooo this could apply to other courses too. warwick said they'd consider the application but do prefer the applicant to resit. honestly im not that sure whether i want to do law anymore bc it's proving difficult to transfer because of my a levels so i might decide on another degree and send some unis another round of emails enquiring about another course to see if their responses change. hope this helps.

yh it does I want to go to a London uni as it would be easier for me to travel, good luck hope you transfer into the uni you want.
Reply 6
Hi Guys! I am currently doing Psychology with a foundation year at St Mary's in Twickenham but would like to transfer! I was planning to wait for my foundation year results and apply through clearing but would everyone here say it's best to apply normally before the January deadline?
Original post by BEJ4569
Hi Guys! I am currently doing Psychology with a foundation year at St Mary's in Twickenham but would like to transfer! I was planning to wait for my foundation year results and apply through clearing but would everyone here say it's best to apply normally before the January deadline?

Yes, it's better to apply now and find out if they consider transfers and what the requirements would be. But before that, I would contact them directly and ask if they would consider your Foundation Year. That will save you wasting an application if the answer is no.

Even if they say yes, it's better to apply now as otherwise you would be reliant on the course that you want being available in Clearing. It's also very unlikely that Clearing staff will be provided with the requirements from every Foundation Year, so it could slow things down unnecessarily.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by BEJ4569

Best to apply now clearing might be struggle, do it through ucas
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One
Yes, it's better to apply now and find out if they consider transfers and what the requirements would be. But before that, I would contact them directly and ask if they would consider your Foundation Year. That will save you wasting an application if the answer is no.

Even if they say yes, it's better to apply now as otherwise you would be reliant on the course that you want being available in Clearing. It's also very unlikely that Clearing staff will be provided with the requirements from every Foundation Year, so it could slow things down unnecessarily.

Thank you for your reply. My plan is to email the different universities I would like to apply to find out if they accept transfers and then apply after I get my results for the first semester.

The only thing I am concerned about then is my reference - I only have one lecturer who is also the FY course lead and of course she doesn't know me or my background very well after just a couple of months. I used my old Head of Sixth Form last time but don't want to bother him again as it's been 8 years since I left school. However, I think she is my only option :/
Original post by BEJ4569
Thank you for your reply. My plan is to email the different universities I would like to apply to find out if they accept transfers and then apply after I get my results for the first semester.

The only thing I am concerned about then is my reference - I only have one lecturer who is also the FY course lead and of course she doesn't know me or my background very well after just a couple of months. I used my old Head of Sixth Form last time but don't want to bother him again as it's been 8 years since I left school. However, I think she is my only option :/

This is a common issue with FY transfers, as your tutors won’t have known you for long when you are preparing your application. It’s usually a compromise between a less substantial but newer ref, or an older but more complete one.
This is a common issue with FY transfers, as your tutors won’t have known you for long when you are preparing your application. It’s usually a compromise between a less substantial but newer ref, or an older but more complete one.

What would you recommend?
Original post by Divahar1907
What would you recommend?

I would approach your FY tutor to provide one. 8 years is likely too old to be considered from your school.
I would approach your FY tutor to provide one. 8 years is likely too old to be considered from your school.

In my case I just left sixth form and started foundation year this year, its better to get a reference from my head of sixth form correct?
Original post by Anonymous
In my case I just left sixth form and started foundation year this year, its better to get a reference from my head of sixth form correct?

You could do either. Your uni choices will get in touch if the provided ref is not sufficient.
Original post by BEJ4569

I have low predicted grades ACD and am having to reconsider my options for psychology. I really wanted to go for Southampton, Loughborough and Sussex but also looking at Oxford Brookes and Surrey. I’m considering St Mary’s for psychology ...... is it a good uni for that subject and good teachers , fun to be at?
Original post by 4n5ver
ahh i see, hope all goes well for you and i totally understand the moving out thing lmao. i've heard back from manchester and birmingham, manchester was a hard no (for law, could be a diff response for a diff course ie. pharmacy), bham said im welcome to apply as admissions tutors would consider my circumstances but no guarantee on an offer, notts asked for further details so im still waiting for a response from them and kcl said each application is considered but they can't advise on eligibility until a full application's been made so basically a personal statement, previous grades, and how i'm currently doing in my foundation year. i've gathered it'd be smart to send a few emails after the first module's been covered so i'll have grades to submit. ive also emailed qmul, durham, warwick, and lse but waiting on a response.

Is your foundation course part of a main degree? On the kings website it says they don’t accept year 0 transfers, a fy part of a main degree at another uni, which is what im doing but i really want to transfer :/
Original post by Rees fam
I have low predicted grades ACD and am having to reconsider my options for psychology. I really wanted to go for Southampton, Loughborough and Sussex but also looking at Oxford Brookes and Surrey. I’m considering St Mary’s for psychology ...... is it a good uni for that subject and good teachers , fun to be at?

Hi there,

I am a Psychology student at Surrey who is currently on placement. If you have any questions or would like to know more please let me know and I can help!

Becca
Original post by 4n5ver
due to personal circumstances my a levels came out to be complete a**. i was originally planning to take a gap to retake and reapply this year for law, however, i settled on accepting an offer from soas for their foundation year through clearing. i read that it was possible for students studying the soas foundation year to progress onto unis such as kcl the next year, guaranteed they do well during the foundation year.

if anyone has gone through this process i'd like to ask how likely it is for this to happen, especially for a degree as competitive as law. furthermore, how much do unis take your a levels into account, do they focus more on the foundation year rather than your a levels or do your a levels still play a significant factor in the application process. kcl is the goal for me but im also planning to try other russell groups. are there any unis that anyone knows which would accept the foundation year for courses like law/econ. also in regards to law, would i have to take the lnat? thanks

edit: i'd like to add that i didn't choose to accept the foundation year offer solely based on the idea of transferring the next year. the soas foundation year does interest me and i also really like the look of their law course, i just want to keep my options open at the moment and see what else is possibly available for me.

I studied a foundation year at city and then transferred to kcl its completely doable, you just apply to kcl with the foundaytion in place of a levels on ucas and everything else is the same
Original post by 4n5ver
what degree did you go on to do? if you dont mind me asking

i studied an engineering foundation at city and went on to study biomedical Eng. at KCL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending