The Student Room Group

GCSE maths ratio. I don't understand the answer to this question

A recipe uses 1 aubergine for every 3 people. How many aubergines should you buy for 10 people?

The answer is 4

Isn't the answer 3 and 1/3 (Three and one third)?

Maybe it's more of a real-life question which is the issue, but I'm not sure. Other questions I've seen are similar to this.

Thank you

edit: It's 4. I put the wrong number in. My mistake.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
The answer should be four. Three will only be enough for nine people. You cannot buy 1/3 aubergine, so the answer isn’t 3 1/3.
Original post by Down_worlder
The answer should be four. Three will only be enough for nine people. You cannot buy 1/3 aubergine, so the answer isn’t 3 1/3.

Perhaps the 10th person hates aubergine..
(edited 2 years ago)

True, the answer should be four.
Original post by Advanced-08234
A recipe uses 1 aubergine for every 3 people. How many aubergines should you buy for 10 people?

The answer is 3

Isn't the answer 3 and 1/3 (Three and one third)?

Maybe it's more of a real-life question which is the issue, but I'm not sure. Other questions I've seen are similar to this.

Thank you

4 because you can't buy 1/3 of an aubergine
Original post by Yash12345
4 because you can't buy 1/3 of an aubergine

My mistake. The answer is 4 and that explains the other questions that have come up.

Thank you.

My mistake. The answer is 4 and that explains the other questions that have come up.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest